AMD or NVIDIA

michael1423

I'm building a new pc for gaming and I want to know amd or NVIDIA their around the same prices ( r9 380 and the gtx 960 ) which one should i pick ( bang for the buck ) . I don't want to start a fight as pointed out in most vids.

I would do r9 380. 4gb gddr5 vs 2gb in the 960 is easily better

R9 280X is price per performance IMO.

Otherwise 4GB R9 380 and after that 960

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

gtx 960. even if they are similar in performance the 960 overclocks like hell,is more efficient(lower tdp=lower noise) and nvidia always has day 1 ready drivers,non beta ofc

Your title screams flame war. "r9-380 or GTX 960" would be much more informative and not bring out the GPU war

I would go for the 960, but if you have time to save up some money, go for a 2290x or a 970, they trade blows with eachother, but the 970 is more power efficient

R9 380 vs. 960 is even worse often.

And people should read the OP anyways, so doesn't matter.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would do r9 380. 4gb gddr5 vs 2gb in the 960 is easily better

380 also comes in 2GB and 4GB versions.

380 also comes in 2GB and 4GB versions.

Oh, didn't notice that. But the 960 is only 2gb

idiots jump in to arguments and don't care

to me, AMD vs NVIDIA screams out "FLAME WAR LET'S GET BANNED"

mods, sorry for caps

but to OP, save up and get a 970, you won't regret it

960 comes in 4G versions too

Well then nevermind.

Well 960 vs 380 is an apples to apples comparison. I would get Nvidia because they usually have faster driver support between these cards.

I would personnaly save up for a 970/ 290. If you can't get a 280x.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I'm 13 and I'm not made of money. Is a gtx 970 worth it cause its only 3.5 gb of GDDR memory

find a good 280x

he needs a 280x, he could get that for cheaper I agree, really if he had a extra $50 he could scrounge up a 290 which is a beast

he needs a 280x, he could get that for cheaper I agree, really if he had a extra $50 he could scrounge up a 290 which is a beast

the only reason why I said to get one is because the 280x for the past year has been all over the place, I got mine for $100 new so yea... thats says it all

I'm 13 and I'm not made of money. Is a gtx 970 worth it cause its only 3.5 gb of GDDR memory

heck yea 970 can go 2k some games

280X for sure. It will run most games pretty darn good.

Money wise, if you can get 270 USD, you can land yourself a R9 290 TRI-X OC from Sapphire. that card is a BEAST of a overclocker and will smash the 960 and easily compete and beat most normal 970s.

280X, aka Tahiti, also overclocks pretty well. Try find one from Sapphire with their VaporX or Tri-X cooler, alternatively get a Gigabyte Windforce card. With 3x fans, that card get enough cooling to seriously overclock it.