Chinese battery pack

hak4fun

I found dis on ebay, and was wondering if it is worth it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12000mah-Dual-USB-5V-1A-2-1A-Power-Bank-18650-Battery-Charger-DIY-Box-For-Phone-/371319771890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item56746212f2

It takes the cells that come from laptop batteries which I have TONS of just laying around from old laptops. 

Anyone have experience with anything like this? Is it going to catch on fire when I try to use it. xD?

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

TBH batterypacks are not that expensive in Europe/US, I would not risk it, but the price is pretty dope, payed 20€ for 13000mh

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

i wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole.

I picked up one of these. Its the best, cheapest 10,000 mAh chargers on the market https://oneplus.net/oneplus-power-bank

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

TBH batterypacks are not that expensive in Europe/US, I would not risk it, but the price is pretty dope, payed 20€ for 13000mh

i wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole.

I picked up one of these. Its the best, cheapest 10,000 mAh chargers on the market https://oneplus.net/oneplus-power-bank

Explain why though. the pricing makes sense. It is just the electronics, without the $20 of battery cells.

Its not about the price of a batterypack, I want use up at least some of the 5gallon bucket of 18650 cells I have in my attic, instead of just throwing them away.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

If you have experience with this stuff, go ahead. I have made a 500w/h battery pack from 18650 cells before. As long as china didnt put any of their batteries in it, it should be fine.

Yea, I took a small electronics class last year, so I feel comfortable with it. Just wanted to know if there something I was missing, maybe someone had experience of one exploding in there face.

Explain why though. the pricing makes sense. It is just the electronics, without the $20 of battery cells.

Its not about the price of a batterypack, I want use up at least some of the 5gallon bucket of 18650 cells I have in my attic, instead of just throwing them away.

Call me a pussy but I would not reuse old Lapotop batteries for your battery pack

EDIT: You know what you are doing, go for it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Here you go. Here is my massive battery pack:

attachicon.gifIMAG0217.jpg

haha, what do you use that for?

Here you go. Here is my massive battery pack:

attachicon.gifIMAG0217.jpg

How do you charge it?

electric bike

ah ok.

if you can find them, thinkpad g40/g41 packs have 3 sets of four batteries and make building a pack really easy.

Yea, I have a few toshiba batteries that have 9.

After having experience with off brand battery packs, no, it's not worth it. I can tell you right now (again, from experience) that the batteries will be shotty, the USB ports will break, and everything will be shotty.

I personally have an Anker power bank now and love it. It's worth the extra money, trust me.

COMIC SANS

if you can find them, thinkpad g40/g41 packs have 3 sets of four batteries and make building a pack really easy.

How did you go about building it? Like, what all would I need? Because I have spare batteries lying around. 

COMIC SANS

How did you go about building it? Like, what all would I need? Because I have spare batteries lying around.

Because of the tabs spanning the batteries in parallel, I just soldered some solid core copper wire as a jumper from each cell pack.