TIFU; Most Embarasing moment in my PC history

Shally

So I've been working on a build for my friend, it was a budget build but he needed a pc to use for school and he liked being able to upgrade.

I built it with him and taught him the basics while doing it and telling him some of the times I messed up which was common.

He was nervous as he didn't want to spend his only money on a heap of metal that he wasn't sure would even start but I assured him it would.

After maybe 50-70 minutes of building and cable managing we decided to plug it in, and to his amazement everything inside turned on. I placed it on the desk beside the monitor, pulled the hdmi that went from my pc into it out from the monitor and into his. Meaning I had my pc connected to his through hdmi meaning a no signal error appearing on the monitor. I acted calm but really I had no idea what was wrong, everything seemed okay. After a hour of research on APU's and hdmi's I came to no conclusion, and was prepared to tell him the harsh reality. I leaned back in my chair and it finally hit me what had happened and I started crying in laughter. He did not find it as funny as I did. 

I feel like a idiot.

TL;DR: I plugged my pc into my friends pc after building it for him by hdmi instead of the monitor thinking it was the monitor, we panicked and thought his new build broke, he nearly cried.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Are, are you kidding me. 

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Dw, I was delidding my 4770k earlier and dropped it on the floor lol.

All good doe, works great, 20c temp drop as well :]

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Dw, I was delidding my 4770k earlier and dropped it on the floor lol.

All good doe, works great, 20c temp drop as well :]

Damn that thing survived a drop? Those things seem a lot more delicate than that...

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Hurrdidurr...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

In my entire life, I have touched 4 AMD cpus, and manage to brake every single one of them. ( Don't worry I paid my friends back)
1st - The previous person overloaded the CPU with thermal paste and upon picking it up, the thermal paste slipped out of my fingers and on to the mobo, bending a few pins
2nd-  1st time building an AMD based computer and literally placed the cpu on the socket wrong..
3rd - Dropped it while taking off the thermal paste ...
4th - When I picked up my friends CPU, I noticed a little dent in one of the pins so I took a toothpick, a magnifying glass and flashlight. After 30 minutes of rough and intense work, the pin snapped.
Till this day I'm still scared when I touch an AMD cpu even if these incidents happened 2-3 years ago.

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

1. I jammed a 478 P4 into a socket not realizing it was an AMD socket.

2. Restarted a PC doing an OS upgrade

3. Touched 2 wires into a PSU cap

4. Magnified the screen like 300 percent

5. Tripped over my brother and accidentally sent my pc crashing 2 stories out the window (non-techie thread people know)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

In my entire life, I have touched 4 AMD cpus, and manage to brake every single one of them. ( Don't worry I paid my friends back)

1st - The previous person overloaded the CPU with thermal paste and upon picking it up, the thermal paste slipped out of my fingers and on to the mobo, bending a few pins

2nd-  1st time building an AMD based computer and literally placed the cpu on the socket wrong..

3rd - Dropped it while taking off the thermal paste ...

4th - When I picked up my friends CPU, I noticed a little dent in one of the pins so I took a toothpick, a magnifying glass and flashlight. After 30 minutes of rough and intense work, the pin snapped.

Till this day I'm still scared when I touch an AMD cpu even if these incidents happened 2-3 years ago.

number 3, dont you put the paste on after you put it into the socket?

number 3, dont you put the paste on after you put it into the socket?

I was not applying the paste, I was taking it off because it was like 5 years old and almost gone.

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

Once I got my Xbox One about 5 months ago, I plugged an HDMI cord from my Xbox One to my TV, no problem. Then, I turned on my TV and noticed that it would not give a signal. I tried everything on the Internet and I thought it was DOA. Turns out I pugged it into the HDMI In port after talking with an Xbox Ambassador. You know how more embarrassing that was :P 

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

my first error was forgetting the bottom fitting on my watercoling reservoir....

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Oh my. Some of your fails here are epic. I think my worst was plugging in a floppy cable wrong (since the little flip bit needs to be at the drive for some stupid ass reason).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Damn that thing survived a drop? Those things seem a lot more delicate than that...

I hope it was on carpet..

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

The worst I've done so far is not align my heatsink properly when I installed it the first time. When I was little I broke a computer's power button, though.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Um well the old d15 connector on some older network cards did look like a joystick connector.

Used a text editer on an .exe file.

Peeled of the sticker on an eprom chip and took it out on a sunny day cause I was curious what was in that lil window. 386 above board. Put it back together and the BIOS was gone.

Early 90s and I bought some computer books from a small web site. Told my wife what a great idea the guy had selling books over the internet. She told me "youre not investing in something you find on the internet". It was amazon.com.

Wow guys

Um well the old d15 connector on some older network cards did look like a joystick connector.

Used a text editer on an .exe file.

Peeled of the sticker on an eprom chip and took it out on a sunny day cause I was curious what was in that lil window. 386 above board. Put it back together and the BIOS was gone.

Early 90s and I bought some computer books from a small web site. Told my wife what a great idea the guy had selling books over the internet. She told me "youre not investing in something you find on the internet". It was amazon.com.

Oh man, that last one was a really really big fail. But I guess how would you know it'd get big. 

cant be that fragile :P

cant be that fragile :P

Wow it worked...

CPUs are basically invincible. The only risk is damaging pins on the AMD side

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it