2 monitors 2 OSes Simultaneously on 1 PC

chromeboy42

Just like the title says. My parents want to get a new computer since their old one died and I was thinking I could get them 1 good pc and have it run 2 OSes for each of them (My mom loves OSX but my dad is die hard Win7) So I Is there such a way to run 2 OSes on different monitors with different keyboard/mouse combos?

If this isn't possible then could you do it with just win7? Run 2 systems of off one computer?

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Just like the title says. My parents want to get a new computer since their old one died and I was thinking I could get them 1 good pc and have it run 2 OSes for each of them (My mom loves OSX but my dad is die hard Win7) So I Is there such a way to run 2 OSes on different monitors with different keyboard/mouse combos?

If this isn't possible then could you do it with just win7? Run 2 systems of off one computer?

you could run a virtual machine on one monitor, but I don't think you could have more than one person on the same computer. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Even if this were possible, you're better off just buying two separate computers.

you could run a virtual machine on one monitor, but I don't think you could have more than one person on the same computer. 

I was trying to avoid using virtual machines

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I was trying to avoid using virtual machines

I'm pretty sure there's no way to do it without. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

You can dual boot them. Partition some kind of boot drive, and then install OS X on one partition, and W7 on the other one. It won't work at the same time, but it'll still work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can dual boot them. Partition some kind of boot drive, and then install OS X on one partition, and W7 on the other one. It won't work at the same time, but it'll still work.

Didn't think of that, I'll ask them if they would consider it

Boot drive should be a SSD to do that @Godlygamer23,  the fast boot times will make it less intrusive on the initial start up time.  And if anything they can both have their own Storage drive. 

Boot drive should be a hard drive to do that @Godlygamer23, the fast boot times will make it less intrusive on the initial start up time. And if anything they can both have their own Storage drive.

Hard drive. Fast boot times. Those don't go together.

User's post has been fixed. Ignore this post.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

just run vmware ws on the second monitor, you can buy it for a lot of money ;)

i have linux running on 2 cores and 4gb ram all the time (3770k, 16GB ram)

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Hard drive. Fast boot times. Those don't go together.

I derped I meant to say SSD, I fix that now. 

just run vmware ws on the second monitor, you can buy it for a lot of money ;)

i have linux running on 2 cores and 4gb ram all the time (3770k, 16GB ram)

Sadly, Windows, and MacOS doesn't support multiple keyboard and mouse. So, if both parent uses the computer, they'll be fighting for the mouse and keyboard.

What needs to be done a Unix or terminal based OS by Linux. Where, like in the old days before many of us were born, we had a big fat room size computer, and we had several terminals attached to them, where each terminal had  keyboard and a screen. This was done because computers where extra large, and extremely expensive. See this video JUST ON storage size.

So, they could operate the computer as if they had their own dedicated computer, but shares resources from 1 computer.

So you need to find a Linux based OS distro that can do this, but with mouse support as well. Now, that's one problem. The second problem is running Windows 7 and MacOS on the computer where both will be running virtual environments under Linux, for each terminal.

You could do this with virtual machines. You could use USB pass-through to reserve one of the mouse/kb sets for a VM and leave the other for the host, although you would have problems with the focused window. Or use ESXi, two VMs, two GPUs with PCI passthrough and two mouse+kb sets.

Either way this is too complicated. Just build APU systems.

Also if your mother does not know how to deal with Hackintosh problems, using OSx86 is asking for trouble. Or getting your phone flooded with "honey, this thing does not work!" messages. Been there, done that!

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP