An argument to be made in favor of pre-orders?

Semper

I know a lot of people who pre ordered GTA V, and boy, were they mad when it kept getting delayed again and again, but I didn't hear them complaining when the game came out and ran freakin great on pretty much any hardware setup day 1.

I think there can be something said about pre ordering when the company behind the game is reputable, Ubi, EA, Activision/Blizzard and WB are all in our doghouse right now due to their money grubbing, but I don't think I'd be alone in saying that companies like Valve, Bethesda (wow, those are the only two off the top of my head) that consumers still have enough faith in to put a bit of cash up in the air.

I know I'm guilty of pre ordering both the Steam version of Fallout 4 and the PipBoy edition for a PS4 I don't even own.

I probably would pre-order fallout 4 if I had the money. Mainly because I know for a fact, I'm going to buy it no matter what, (for the storyline). I did pre-order GTA V, because I knew I was going to buy it regardless, and I wanted the ability to pre-download it, as well as knowing that it was probably going to be a really good port, considering how freaking long it took them to make it.

Still, 99% of games, people should not pre-order.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I probably would pre-order fallout 4 if I had the money. Mainly because I know for a fact, I'm going to buy it no matter what, (for the storyline). I did pre-order GTA V, because I knew I was going to buy it regardless, and I wanted the ability to pre-download it, as well as knowing that it was probably going to be a really good port, considering how freaking long it took them to make it.

Still, 99% of games, people should not pre-order.

GTA V was a last week pre order for me, I was really on the fence about it, but ended up doing it just to have it downloaded and ready like you. (60 fuckin gigs?!?!)

It's all about consumer faith, and I know I still have some of that left in me for the right players.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

GTA V was a last week pre order for me, I was really on the fence about it, but ended up doing it just to have it downloaded and ready like you. (60 fuckin gigs?!?!)

It's all about consumer faith, and I know I still have some of that left in me for the right players.

Same here, might have been last two weeks or something, but it wasn't way in advance or anything.

Do I feel satisfied with it? Hell yes I do. I only wish they would release some post-ending heists for single player, as the single player heists are really fun (mainly because I don't have to worry about all the morons who can't figure out how to play. Or that quit right at the end of a heist because someone died)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

One thing that I believe could be a positive for pre ordering is planned budget. Say a game is predicted to sell OK, not great but OK. Because of this the devoper has a set budget. They continue to make the game, and start selling pre orders. They sell way more preorders than preideicted. They raise the game budget, and added even more features / details to the game.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

There is no argument, if you want to pre order, pre order if you don't, then don't.
If you pre order and don't like the game get a refund. No argument and no bastards telling anyone what to do.

Is it ok for me to tell anyone on here how to have sex with there Mrs? nope so why do people think it's OK to tell other people how to spend there hard earned money.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

The problem with that argument.... (imo) is that the refund policies of steam is very restricted to be enough to compensate the risk to buy a game on pre-release.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think that is something wrong with steam policies, but 2h hours is not enough to evaluated a AAA game. So... wait a few days before buy is wiser yet.

There is no argument, if you want to pre order, pre order if you don't, then don't.

If you pre order and don't like the game get a refund. No argument and no bastards telling anyone what to do.

Is it ok for me to tell anyone on here how to have sex with there Mrs? nope so why do people think it's OK to tell other people how to spend there hard earned money.

Because it's starting to lead to lesser-quality products as a result. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Because it's starting to lead to lesser-quality products as a result. 

No it isn't, that's the worst cop out excuse I have ever heard.

Mainly the only less quality products are multi platform games that release on pc, consoles do just fine and they have shit loads of pre orders.

The fact is, devs don't care about pc as much as console, nothing to do with pre orders.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

No it isn't, that's the worst cop out excuse I have ever heard.

Mainly the only less quality products are multi platform games that release on pc, consoles do just fine and they have shit loads of pre orders.

The fact is, devs don't care about pc as much as console, nothing to do with pre orders.

Some of those games were crap on console as well. AC:Unity comes to mind. 

My point is people need to start voting with their wallets. Games should be purchased only if they deliver what was promised, but that's not what's happening. People are forking over money before the game is even complete, allowing the publishers to release a half-baked POS and they know a lot of people will simply keep the game instead of requesting a refund in the hopes a future patch will fix it. 

They should have to earn out money on the merits of the games they make. If they're good, they'll get my money. If they're crap, they get nothing. People are giving them money before the publisher has given them anything, then they give them a crap game in return and people keep on doing this. It's like TB has said a number of time with regards to pre-ordering; let us be reminded of the definition of insanity. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Some of those games were crap on console as well. AC:Unity comes to mind. 

My point is people need to start voting with their wallets. Games should be purchased only if they deliver what was promised, but that's not what's happening. People are forking over money before the game is even complete, allowing the publishers to release a half-baked POS and they know a lot of people will simply keep the game instead of requesting a refund in the hopes a future patch will fix it. 

They should have to earn out money on the merits of the games they make. If they're good, they'll get my money. If they're crap, they get nothing. People are giving them money before the publisher has given them anything, then they give them a crap game in return and people keep on doing this. It's like TB has said a number of time with regards to pre-ordering; let us be reminded of the definition of insanity. 

Ubisoft is another ball game, they are an all around bad company.

Nothing can fix them, not even denying them pre orders.

Frankly, if a game is crap, then you speak with your wallet and get a refund which will send an even bigger message...wont it? pre ordering a game and then seeing massive refunds on launch, just like arkham knight? didn't that send the message across? I think it did.

In fact, since steam refunds came in, it seems to have been the most successful message sent in gaming history? which validates what I say.

If a game is going to be broken it will be broken regardless of pre orders, but as I said, refunding those pre orders CLEARLY sends the message across.

We are now at a new age in terms of gamers getting there message to the devs, stop living in the past and look at what we have done on the first oppertunity we had.

Ubisoft is another ball game, they are an all around bad company.

Nothing can fix them, not even denying them pre orders.

Frankly, if a game is crap, then you speak with your wallet and get a refund which will send an even bigger message...wont it? pre ordering a game and then seeing massive refunds on launch, just like arkham knight? didn't that send the message across? I think it did.

In fact, since steam refunds came in, it seems to have been the most successful message sent in gaming history? which validates what I say.

If a game is going to be broken it will be broken regardless of pre orders, but as I said, refunding those pre orders CLEARLY sends the message across.

We are now at a new age in terms of gamers getting there message to the devs, stop living in the past and look at what we have done on the first oppertunity we had.

Tons of refunds certainly does send a clear message to the company. I don't deny that one bit. But at the same time, a severe lack of sales, a growing catalogue of bad reviews and negative feedback will also send a clear message. If nobody buys their game, that's just as bad as everyone asking for a refund. 

The only reason it's had such a huge impact this time is because people actually have the option to refund this time. In the past all we could do was shout angry things about their game, but what does that do? Not much. You've already bought their game and they already have all your money.

My mentality is; don't give them a dime before launch and don't give them a dime unless it is actually a legitimately good game and the game they promised. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Tons of refunds certainly does send a clear message to the company. I don't deny that one bit. But at the same time, a severe lack of sales, a growing catalogue of bad reviews and negative feedback will also send a clear message. If nobody buys their game, that's just as bad as everyone asking for a refund. 

The only reason it's had such a huge impact this time is because people actually have the option to refund this time. In the past all we could do was shout angry things about their game, but what does that do? Not much. You've already bought their game and they already have all your money.

My mentality is; don't give them a dime before launch and don't give them a dime unless it is actually a legitimately good game and the game they promised. 

This is more or less a reply to everything I've missed since my last post (I finally managed to get some sleep! :P)

Essentially what i'm driving at is this:

Pre-orders aren't going away.

Because valve has revised their refund policy, and this is the first major title to be a failure since then, it has seen a massive backlash. Is it not at least a somewhat logical idea that embracing pre-orders or day-one purchases could have the impact that the current initiative is trying to achieve? WB has gotten a VERY clear message here, and was forced to do something about it. From a business standpoint, the simple act of offering and accepting pre-orders on this title has negatively impacted them. Negative impact is what brings about change. I'm not saying that WB or rocksteady have lost money on this title (as in it cost them more to develop/advertise than they have earned) but they have lost profit. THe mass influx of refunds forced the game to be pulled. How many of those will not be returning customers? How many of us who don't own the game plan to pick it up? I know it will be some time before I do, if I ever do.

My argument here is that the ability to receive a refund has actually hurt them more than if not a single person had pre-ordered it, as it has actually forced them to lose revenue to fix what was, into what should have been.

I am genuinely enjoying this honest discussion about the issue, however I don't feel that everyone is fully understanding what i'm driving at. I'm not in any way saying that pre-orders are good. I'm saying that embracing them may potentially have an impact now that the consumer has more control post release. I want the pre-order mentality either eradicated, or very significantly changed.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I'd say a benefit you can get from pre-ordering is the option to download it before it's released so you can avoid the day one DL nightmares.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build