3x3 4k monitor array?!

I'm moving to a new Apartment and i have one wall that is perfect for a giant TV, but since i don't watch TV i thought of mounting a monitor array.

I am planning to connect 9 4k (3840x2160) monitors to my PC. At the moment i only have a gtx 970 and i am absolutely positive, that it will do a awesome job at suffering with all this. :wacko:

What graphic card(s) do i need, to game in full resolution on all 9 monitors (11520x6480)? So which graphics card would fit my needs and how many are needed? I might even want a 10th (probably 1080p) monitor for office operation, but more likely i get a second PC for that.

I'm moving to a new Apartment and i have one wall that is perfect for a giant TV, but since i don't watch TV i thought of mounting a monitor array.

I am planning to connect 9 4k (3840x2160) monitors to my PC. At the moment i only have a gtx 970 and i am absolutely positive, that it will do a awesome job at suffering with all this. :wacko:

What graphic card(s) do i need, to game in full resolution on all 9 monitors (11520x6480)? So which graphics card would fit my needs and how many are needed? I might even want a 10th (probably 1080p) monitor for office operation, but more likely i get a second PC for that.

Gaming at 11520x6480???

Are games even optimized/ programmed for that resolution?

I don't think triple SLI Titan X will be able to run that resolution.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Rofl, you would need 4 Titan X's in SLI, and you would still only get 5 fps in games.

If you're 19 and plan on owning fucking 9 4k monitors, you need to reprioritize your life.

Second, if you're so ignorant that you think a 970 can drive 1, let alone 9, you're just a fucking moron.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Quad Titan X is just barely capable of 3x4k... i don't think that would be fun with a GTX 970...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

not possible..... there's nothing out their what handles that much in games.

I'd advise you to get a nice decent beamer or a 4k 85"ish tv and use this thing as a monitor

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Quad Titan X is just barely capable of 3x4k... i don't think that would be fun with a GTX 970...

Turn down the settings. It's the easiest solution.

@R3tR0x, You'll need DisplayPort Daisy Chaining to achieve that. Just so you know. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Troll post maybe?

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

Apparently amd ran a dirt rally game at that resolution on a FuryX, it was posted here a few weeks ago...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Turn down the settings. It's the easiest solution.

@R3tR0x, You'll need DisplayPort Daisy Chaining to achieve that. Just so you know. 

It won't help when they completely run out of vRAM.

DisplayPort Daisy chaining only works when you're still sending under the total amount of pixels that DP supports.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Alright, ill try to be helpful, not be an ass and not laugh at your for choosing what to do with your life and/or money.

Gaming in 3X4K isn't the best idea ATM. Most cards are just barely enough for 4K On most games, I believe on card is enough for games @4K (980ti should be fine I think)

As for tri monitor gaming at 4K.

Is it possible?

Yes.

What's the catch?

You'll only be playing racing games it seems.

I Remember people showing off DiRT 3 on a system hooked up to 3 4K monitors, it ran well at a solid 60, not sure what settings were used.

If you want a little more track racing, you can run Project CARS 3 X 4K with (I might be completely wrong here) with I 3 Titan blacks I *THINK*

So for now, 4K is not the way to go. It would be better to go the 1440p route and maybe even pickup a 144Hz monitor if that tickles your fancy. Its going to cost less, Be more economical, and be better for the time being.

Alright, ill try to be helpful, not be an ass and not laugh at your for choosing what to do with your life and/or money.

Gaming in 3X4K isn't the best idea ATM. Most cards are just barely enough for 4K On most games, I believe on card is enough for games @4K (980ti should be fine I think)

As for tri monitor gaming at 4K.

Is it possible?

Yes.

What's the catch?

You'll only be playing racing games it seems.

I Remember people showing off DiRT 3 on a system hooked up to 3 4K monitors, it ran well at a solid 60, not sure what settings were used.

If you want a little more track racing, you can run Project CARS 3 X 4K with (I might be completely wrong here) with I 3 Titan blacks I *THINK*

So for now, 4K is not the way to go. It would be better to go the 1440p route and maybe even pickup a 144Hz monitor if that tickles your fancy. Its going to cost less, Be more economical, and be better for the time being.

He's not saying 3 4k monitors.  He is saying 3x3 4k monitors, or 9 4k monitors....

you need to reprioritize your life.

Somehow i hear that often. I wonder why  :rolleyes:  :D

Troll post maybe?

I am seriously planning on doing this, but it looks like it can't be done.

Apparently amd ran a dirt rally game at that resolution on a FuryX, it was posted here a few weeks ago...

Thanks, i will see if i can find it

setting down the resolution to 1440p or even 1080p would be one thing to make it work . Thanks  :)

Huh...

Never knew that was a thing.

I was trying to make it a thing  :D Maybe in a few years it is common to have such high resolutions  :)

setting down the resolution to 1440p or even 1080p would be one thing to make it work . Thanks  :)

I was trying to make it a thing  :D Maybe in a few years it is common to have such high resolutions  :)

If you are running each monitor at 1080 then you should get 1080p monitors, as it will look better and be cheaper.

It won't help when they completely run out of vRAM.

DisplayPort Daisy chaining only works when you're still sending under the total amount of pixels that DP supports.

Lower texture resolution. No AA. No Filtering. 

Only if you were planning on daisy chaining 9 different monitors in a single chain. 

I was thinking 4 chains of 2 with a single DP on it's own for the last one. He'd need/want 12GB Quad SLI or something equivalent to it (if such a thing exists) anyway, so four GPUs with two DisplayPort each works out fine for that. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Like really bud. If you were to get shitty little 30hz monitors you're looking at over 5 fucking grand for monitors.

Like you could actually benefit your life with that.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Since some wasn't understanding properly what i was planning on doing. I want an array of 3x3 not 3x1! I would have a total resolution of 11520x6480 and not 11520x2160!

Like really bud. If you were to get shitty little 30hz monitors you're looking at over 5 fucking grand for monitors.

Like you could actually benefit your life with that.

Yeah, and it looks like i have to buy 4 titans. This would be about 10 grand  ;) but i was looking for Asus PA328Q.

Maybe I should be satisfied with 4x1 and some 980 TI

Yeah, and it looks like i have to buy 4 titans. This would be about 10 grand  ;) but i was looking for Asus PA328Q.

Maybe I should be satisfied with 4x1 and some 980 TI

4x1 isn't a good idea....  You would end up with bezels right in the center of the setup, where your eyes are most.  There is a reason 3x1 is most common.  A single titan x still wouldn't run 3x1 4k displays very well.  You would still need 3 titan x's to get good fps.

Since some wasn't understanding properly what i was planning on doing. I want an array of 3x3 not 3x1! I would have a total resolution of 11520x6480 and not 11520x2160!

Are you serious or just trolling?

If your srs then your SOL as current games only supports 3 monitors in a row. A 3x3 grid would require custom software. 

Forget it. It is not doable.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

4x1 isn't a good idea....  You would end up with bezels right in the center of the setup, where your eyes are most.  There is a reason 3x1 is most common.  A single titan x still wouldn't run 3x1 4k displays very well.  You would still need 3 titan x's to get good fps.

Oh, yeah, the 4th one would be only for office or chatting while gaming or so.

@Vitalius: Turn down the settings? Won't help much with 11520*6480... That's around 74.5 million pixels... No way that a GTX 970 could do that... 1 single frame would take around 230 MB to store...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980