GPU Boost 2.0 with GTX 750 Ti?

So the GTX 750 Ti supports GPU 2.0 and from what I understand, it will overclock your GPU if there is enough temperature headroom. My EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC has advertised base clock speeds of 1176 and a boost clock speed of 1255. However, right out of the box, it will boost to 1306 and stay there constantly. Here's the problem (maybe not a problem, but situation), even running at the 1306 in synthetics and also BF4 for quite a while, it only tops out at around 62C. So that leaves the card with a METRIC TONE of thermal headroom, so why doesn't the card automatically boost more? Without even touching the voltage, I can do a manual overclock via MSI Afterburner of +93 on the core which brings the final boost clock to 1400, constant. Wondering why the card doesn't automatically boost itself when there's like 15C worth of thermal headroom?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Maybe the thing literally just can go anymore...

Have you tried just straight up overclocking?

EDIT: Ok you did OC, this is awkward.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It doesn't boost more because it needs more power.

I have the same card and I'm limited by power

Also mine runs at 80°c, but it's currently 35°c in my country :D

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

So the GTX 750 Ti supports GPU 2.0 and from what I understand, it will overclock your GPU if there is enough temperature headroom. My EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC has advertised base clock speeds of 1176 and a boost clock speed of 1255. However, right out of the box, it will boost to 1306 and stay there constantly. Here's the problem (maybe not a problem, but situation), even running at the 1306 in synthetics and also BF4 for quite a while, it only tops out at around 62C. So that leaves the card with a METRIC TONE of thermal headroom, so why doesn't the card automatically boost more? Without even touching the voltage, I can do a manual overclock via MSI Afterburner of +93 on the core which brings the final boost clock to 1400, constant. Wondering why the card doesn't automatically boost itself when there's like 15C worth of thermal headroom?

Plenty of reasons.  The easiest is to open GPU-Z, go to the monitoring tab and look at the PerfCap Reason.  Pwr means the card isn't getting enough power, this can be solved by increasing the power target. VRel and VOP means not enough voltage.  This can be solved by increasing the voltage. Then there is Thrm, which means the card is hitting the thermal ceiling.

Lastly, if there is no PerfCap Reason then that is because the bios of these cards are set only to dynamically boost so high, even if none of the other limits have been reached.

All of these limits are imposed by nvidia's own testing, and some of them can be pretty conservative.  So even if you see voltage limits, or power limits popping up and preventing your card from boosting higher, that doesn't mean your card is incapable of actually going higher.  It just means that is what nvidia found to be a reliable limit for most cards at that clock speed.

You can ignore these soft limits and try to manually overclock it as high as you want.

yep, what @Speaker1264 said, try upping the voltage or so.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Plenty of reasons.  The easiest is to open GPU-Z, go to the monitoring tab and look at the PerfCap Reason.  Pwr means the card isn't getting enough power, this can be solved by increasing the power target. VRel and VOP means not enough voltage.  This can be solved by increasing the voltage. Then there is Thrm, which means the card is hitting the thermal ceiling.

Lastly, if there is no PerfCap Reason then that is because the bios of these cards are set only to dynamically boost so high, even if none of the other limits have been reached.

All of these limits are imposed by nvidia's own testing, and some of them can be pretty conservative.  So even if you see voltage limits, or power limits popping up and preventing your card from boosting higher, that doesn't mean your card is incapable of actually going higher.  It just means that is what nvidia found to be a reliable limit for most cards at that clock speed.

You can ignore these soft limits and try to manually overclock it as high as you want.

I didn't check those things in GPU-Z, but I would like to say that the power limit/target is set to 100% in afterburner, also I flashed the card's BIOS to allow more power draw (from 38500mW to 49200mW) and it still stays at the 1306 boost. I will look into it more in just a bit.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

There's a clock speed range defined in the BIOS, and how far your GPU boosts depends on ASIC as well. For example, GTX 970 with ASIC quality of 80% boosts to 1443 MHz, around 78% to 1430,  etc. And if you look at the bios, clocks range from ~1000 Mhz to 1519 (at least on G1), but I haven't seen any 970 reach more than 1443, and even those that do, downclock when temps go up. So they never actually even reach highest clock speed set in the BIOS. I'm pretty sure it's the same with 750 Ti. But that's why you have OC programs like Afterburner.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz