Our prayers have been answered: YouTube 60FPS is now available on Android and iOS

asim1999

then how do you do it? I'd really like to know.

You say oh I want a speed reduction of 2, my playback will be at 30fps(60fps) so I have to record at 60fps(120fps). Nobody would record 10000fps just to ditch 9940fps(9880fps) plus getting micro stutter.

And in this case the absolute difference is only 60fps but let's assume you want to reduce the speed by the factor 1000.

30fps playback= 30000fps recording

60fps playback= 60000fps recording

Absolute difference 30000fps!

60 fps would only be useful for fast-paced scenes though and/or if planning to do a little slow-mo (0,5x speed, not much slower to be honest). For most stuff, it's dead weight: doubles the file size, thus increases uploading and rendering time.

30 fps is enough for most video content. Games are a different story, but who expects to play mobile games at 60 fps?

Uhm, no, it doesn't double the file size, it's called compressed video for a reason.

You remove redundant frames or part of the frames, if it were an uncompressed video then sure, double the frames double the size.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

You say oh I want a speed reduction of 2, my playback will be at 30fps(60fps) so I have to record at 60fps(120fps). Nobody would record 10000fps just to ditch 9940fps(9880fps) plus getting micro stutter.

And in this case the absolute difference is only 60fps but let's assume you want to reduce the speed by the factor 1000.

30fps playback= 30000fps recording

60fps playback= 60000fps recording

Absolute difference 30000fps!

What do you mean there is a difference of 30000 fps? When you watch a video on youtube without any frame drops, you can only see 30 fps if the video was shot in 30fps. If you take a video that is at 10,000 fps and compress the video into a 30 fps video for youtube and upload it, the people watching it on youtube will see 30 frames out of 10,000 frames every second. So, if you compress the video into 60 fps for youtube, people will see 60 frames out of 10,000 frames per second. You will see 30 more frames every second which will make the video look smoother.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What do you mean there is a difference of 30000 fps?

To keep the video 1000x slower than real-time if you play it at 60fps

If you take a video that is at 10,000 fps and compress the video into a 30 fps video for youtube and upload it, the people watching it on youtube will see 30 frames out of 10,000 frames every second

What?

To keep the video 1000x slower than real-time if you play it at 60fps

What?

OHHHH I see what you are trying to say.

A video at 60,000 fps can be slowed down to 60 fps if you slow the video by 1000 times.

All that you are doing here is take a picture/frame and just showing the viewer the picture for a longer period of time. So, instead of showing 1 picture at 1/60,000 of a second you show the picture 1/60 of a second.

That is NOT what I am talking about.

Someone asked if uploading a slow motion video at 60 fps would help make the video smoother then 30fps.

When you upload a video to youtube it compresses(shrinks the size of the video file by changing the colors, fps and such) the video. So, if you take a video of a video game where the video is shot in 60 fps and the game is also running in 60 fps but you upload the video to youtube at 30 fps then you will only see 30 fps in the video, or half of the frames in this situation. If you take the same video of a video game and upload the footage at 60fps compression, then you can see every frame on youtube and it will look smoother.

Now, if you take a video that is shot at 10,000 fps, and you upload the footage to youtube at 30 fps the viewer can only see 30 frames out of the 10,000 frames per second. Of course, if you upload that same footage at 60 fps compression then people can see 60 frames out of 10,000 frames per second. Which you would get more frames at 60fps which would be smoother.

For camera footage, I'll still prefer 24/30 fps.  But for gaming 60fps all the way  :D.

How about if the app kept playing the video if I focused on another tab or put my phone to sleep instead, since that would actually be a feature I care about...

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

A video at 60,000 fps can be slowed down to 60 fps if you slow the video by 1000 times.

All that you are doing here is take a picture/frame and just showing the viewer the picture for a longer period of time. So, instead of showing 1 picture at 1/60,000 of a second you show the picture 1/60 of a second.

What are you talking about? How do you want to show a single frame for 1/60000 of a second?

Now, if you take a video that is shot at 10,000 fps, and you upload the footage to youtube at 30 fps the viewer can only see 30 frames out of the 10,000 frames per second. Of course, if you upload that same footage at 60 fps compression then people can see 60 frames out of 10,000 frames per second. Which you would get more frames at 60fps which would be smoother.

Nobody would buy a Phantom Flex just to ditch 99% of the footage. Your arguments are so pointless.

Neat

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 2 weeks later...

What are you talking about? How do you want to show a single frame for 1/60000 of a second?

Nobody would buy a Phantom Flex just to ditch 99% of the footage. Your arguments are so pointless.

LOL

Let me say this in smaller numbers right now.

I take a video at 60 fps that is 10 seconds long. So, every second there is 60 pictures.

Now, I want to slow the video down by 1/2. This means every frame will be played for double the amount of time.

So now my video plays at 30 fps and is 20 seconds long and everything looks like it is moving at 1/2 the speed.

Do you understand?

I admit it looks really nice. Although my Internet is so slow that 720 60Fps Is what I need to watch without buffering. ;-; Curse you America for your crap internet. We are the greatest country yet we can't even get our Internet sorted out. -.-

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Do you understand?

Of course it's simple video editing 101 but frankly what you are now saying is completely different from what you said before.

the YT app on my phone runs really bad so I won't be able to check this out yet  :(

Not a surprise. 3rd party youtube apps (which Google has always tried to sabotage) have had this option for months. 

Build: CPU: Intel i5 4690k OC = 4.4Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte R9 285 OC = 1100/1575MHz | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 8GB 2133MHz CL9 | Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 | CaseCooltek U3 | PSU: Corsair RM550 | MonitorDell UltraSharp 2414h | Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2 | Mouse: Corsair M95

FireStrike score = 7803. Graphic score = 9363 (record single r9 285).

I feel so alone.... I can barely watch a YT video at 30fps. Idk why, I just like the smoothness of it. And btw, I don't watch gaming videos all that often.

Of course it's simple video editing 101 but frankly what you are now saying is completely different from what you said before.

No it's not. This is just part of what I was saying.

If I make a video that is 60 fps, and upload that video to YouTube at 30 fps compression, half of the frames from my video won't be viewed.

Do you understand this?

People ITT:

"Color tv!? Heck no. It is too creepy and life like. Give me black and white anyday for movies and video!"

No it's not. This is just part of what I was saying.

If I make a video that is 60 fps, and upload that video to YouTube at 30 fps compression, half of the frames from my video won't be viewed.

Do you understand this?

Yes you are correct that this is what would happen on YouTube. However, when people like the SloMo Guys (or anyone else doing slow motion video) slows their footage down they don't cut any frames out. If they want to make a 30 FPS video and have it go in 1/100 the speed, they will record at 3000 FPS and then just play those 3000 frames at 30 FPS (1 second in real life would end up taking 100 seconds to play).

So if you want things to play at 1/100 speed at 60 FPS, you would need to record at 6000 FPS (compared to the 3000 FPS needed for 1/100 speed at 30 FPS).

They don't record at 6000, slow the footage down a bit and then upload it right to YouTube where thousands of FPS ends up being lost. That would be incredibly stupid. They don't upload some 3000 FPS file to YouTube. They upload a 30 FPS one because they have tweaked and edited it in some program before uploading it.

Do you understand this?

WWYDT?

Yes you are correct that this is what would happen on YouTube. However, when people like the SloMo Guys (or anyone else doing slow motion video) slows their footage down they don't cut any frames out. If they want to make a 30 FPS video and have it go in 1/100 the speed, they will record at 3000 FPS and then just play those 3000 frames at 30 FPS (1 second in real life would end up taking 100 seconds to play).

So if you want things to play at 1/100 speed at 60 FPS, you would need to record at 6000 FPS (compared to the 3000 FPS needed for 1/100 speed at 30 FPS).

They don't record at 6000, slow the footage down a bit and then upload it right to YouTube where thousands of FPS ends up being lost. That would be incredibly stupid. They don't upload some 3000 FPS file to YouTube. They upload a 30 FPS one because they have tweaked and edited it in some program before uploading it.

Yea I understand that and I know they do it that way at times and will even take multiple shots of the same thing to get it in different speeds as well.

One thing about that is they also use the same footage at multiple different speeds. Sometimes the footage is at normal speed or something else. It doesn't always come out perfect.

I was just trying to make the point that 60 fps would help to make the footage seem "smoother" because either way the footage is edited you can get more frames in with 60fps.

To get 1/100 speed of footage they would film at 3000 fps for a 30 fps video. For a 60 fps video they would shoot the footage at 6000 fps.

No matter what we would get to view more frames if they uploaded at 60 fps just like you said.