Microsoft to buy AMD?! [updated]

zMeul

There should be at least 4-5 Competitors for healthy innovation and cut throat prices...just like LED and Smartphones industry

Even firms from China should come up with their products. Remember how One plus One had taken all of us by surprise.Though they are hard to get.

Or else we would keep paying premiums to a single company.....The consumer should always WIN.....

CPU:i5-4460; Mobo:Gigabyte H97 D3H; RAM:GSkill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz; PSU:Corsair CS550; HDD:WD Blue 1 TB

Case:Corsair Carbide 200R ; Monitor:AOC i2369Vm(1080p IPS) ; Input:Logitech G502,Mk 345 ; GPU:MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Twin Frozer V

There should be at least 4-5 Competitors for healthy innvoation and cut throat prices...just like LED and Smartphones industry

Even firms from China should come up with their products. Remember how One plus One had taken all of us by surprise.Though they are hard to get.

Or else we would keep paying premiums to a single company.....The consumer should always WIN.....

There used to be more than that in the days of the 386 and 486 because the designs were licensed from Intel (AMD's 386 DX 40 did very well because it was cheap, reliable and outperformed the 486 until Intel released the 66MHz version).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have my doubt about this. These monopoly laws does not make a monopoly illegal. You will have to abuse your monopoly power in a prohibited way to even be considered an offense.

Even if Intel did not suffer an Anti-trust case for abusing their position as a monopoly, the simple fact is that Intel needs the x86-64 license. ALL of their current and upcoming desktop CPU tech relies on it.

That alone gives whoever might buy out AMD incredible leverage in forcing Intel's hand. Intel needs x86-64 more than whoever might buy AMD needs x86, since AMD has a plethora of other extremely valuable IP that would make buying them still an excellent decision.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Even if Intel did not suffer an Anti-trust case for abusing their position as a monopoly, the simple fact is that Intel needs the x86-64 license. ALL of their current and upcoming desktop CPU tech relies on it.

That alone gives whoever might buy out AMD incredible leverage in forcing Intel's hand. Intel needs x86-64 more than whoever might buy AMD needs x86, since AMD has a plethora of other extremely valuable IP that would make buying them still an excellent decision.

Intel would still have x86-64.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-x86-license-agreement-with-intel-cannot-block-our-merger-or-acquisition/

Since Intel does use intellectual property of AMD inside its chips, it needs an agreement with AMD. However, it should be noted that if the cross-license between AMD and Intel is terminated because a party gets acquired by a third company, licenses granted to another party will survive unless that other party gets acquired too (i.e., if AMD is taken over, Intel sustains rights to AMD’s IP), in accordance with the term 5.2d of the agreement. The same happens if one company gets bankrupt.

i think that kitguru is just butthurt, cause he didnt get a furyX review sample lol.

#shitguru

• 2 months later...

This rumour is coming up again, with Fudzilla having an industry source claiming they are in talks:

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd

If Microsoft and Intel are going to be the only options in the CPU space, I'm never buying first-hand CPUs again. Second-hand market all the way.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd

Our industry sources claim that Microsoft is seriously talking to AMD about buying the chipmaker. The pair have been in talks for a while, but we are unsure if the deal is happening or when something will be announced.

It is no secret that AMD's CPU roadmap is hardly competitive. From late 2015 and through most of 2016 the business has been rubbish. The hope of Zen cores being successful is AMD's only option for survival. Microsoft has a lot of cash in the bank and has a place for AMD under its wing.

stranger things have happened and this is not the 1st time this exact rumor surfaced

can the consolidation of Radeon graphics have anything to do with this?!

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd

stranger things have happened and this is not the 1st time this exact rumor surfaced

can the consolidation of Radeon graphics have anything to do with this?!

If they buy amd it's going to be only the Radeon portion as the cpu portion holds no sale value do to arrangements with intel

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

For the last time: NO ONE IS BUYING AMD UNTIL x86 BECOMES IRRELEVANT

If they get bought they lost rights to make x86 chips, so unless Microsoft feels like making MIPS, ARM etc chips and AMD is willing to give up their share in the CPU market, then no, this isn't going to happen.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

If they get bought they lost rights to make x86 chips, so unless Microsoft feels like making MIPS, ARM etc chips and AMD is willing to give up their share in the CPU market, then no, this isn't going to happen.

That might be why the company was split into two....again, now Radeon and AMD are separate entities so the graphics portion can be bought separately from the cpu portion but this is just a rumor after all

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i think that kitguru is just butthurt, cause he didnt get a furyX review sample lol.

#shitguru

I think that you're just butthurt that someone is thinking with more than two brain cells.

#Shitezza

You should try putting your entire post in all caps.

I still won't pay attention though.

the x86 licence won't ever be irrelevant, what can be done if such acquisition occurs is for the new owners to negotiate a new deal with Intel

That might be why the company was split into two....again, now Radeon and AMD are separate entities so the graphics portion can be bought separately from the cpu portion but this is just a rumor after all

they weren't split in two. the change involves who exactly reports to who. So, instead of AMD CPU and GPU guys stepping on each others feet, both sides will now report directly to the top only, and do not have to cross report to each other in some weird twisted tangled mess. The original merger of CPU and GPU divisions was a philosophical choice that works great in SOC's, but not so much when you have people involved that don't communicate with each other at the speed of light. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

What AMD needs beside good chips is more leverage with the big PC manufacturers and more marketing budget. Then they can finally start making things harder for Intel. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Fudzilla, bless their hearts. They then go on to say maybe AMD could sell the GPU branch to MS, with an agreement in place for APU/XBox, and then go on to posit INTEL as an interested party in the acquisition of AMD's CPU branch as Intel is no longer a monopoly... because of Apple and Samsung (ok...), Qualcomm(I guess?), and Mediatek(what?!), ignoring the fact AMD and Intel make more than just consumer level mobile chips? Do any of these other companies make anything enterprise or server oriented?

If they buy amd it's going to be only the Radeon portion as the cpu portion holds no sale value do to arrangements with intel

What?  Why?  The CPU division has actual IP and tech Microsoft could use.

Fudzilla, bless their hearts. They then go on to say maybe AMD could sell the GPU branch to MS, with an agreement in place for APU/XBox, and then go on to posit INTEL as an interested party in the acquisition of AMD's CPU branch as Intel is no longer a monopoly... because of Apple and Samsung (ok...), Qualcomm(I guess?), and Mediatek(what?!), ignoring the fact AMD and Intel make more than just consumer level mobile chips? Do any of these other companies make anything enterprise or server oriented?

Intel is an interesting one. I can somewhat see Intel wanting the GPU business (or maybe just licencing IP), but the CPU business doesn't make much sense. For high end servers, IBM and Oracle have products that outperform Intel. Some enterprises are moving towards ARM or other platforms, but not too many.  

Someone just buy AMD so we can move on with competition.  That way the rumor mill can go back to guessing and theorizing about hardware all the time.  

Wow. I wrote up a whole topic on this, and didn't realize that you updated and bumped a thread started on end of June.

Here's a cut/paste

------------

Literally two days since fudzilla said that Silver Lake was interested in AMD, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/446925-rumor-amd-to-receive-capital-injection-from-tech-investment-outfit/  it seems the dart landed on Microsoft today, and they're interested in their CPUs to potentially power their Surface lineup and its APUs for the XBOX.

In case that Microsoft does acquire AMD, as we suggested a few months back, it will control the development of the next generation console chip for its future Xbox and it would be able to create decent GPUs to promote its DirectX 12 and beyond.

When it comes to CPUs, the future Zen derivative could end up in the future Surface, you know the tablet that iPad Pro copied the form factor, the cover keyboard and the pen. AMD has a server division as well as computational division, everything that Microsoft uses.

Honestly, I don't buy this at fucking all. Firstly because it's like the 8th company that the rumor mill has spit out. And then there's the whole x86 license issue.

It's stupid to suggest that Microsoft is looking to replace Intel in its Surface lineup, why would they switch? Intel's got the branding "oh it's an i7 not an i5", which AMD really doesn't have. AMD doesn't have anything that can be succinctly summarized like "4th generation Intel® Core™ processor family"

And with Microsoft in charge of AMD, will Sony have to go with Intel's iGPU for the PS5? Or nVidia's Tegra chips?

fav comment to that post:

Uh guys, you messed up. You were supposed to copy-n-paste the pre-written 100% BS "Microsoft buys AMD" story NEXT WEEK.

I looked at the schedule and this week it was supposed to be... let's see here.... E-bay. Yes, the correct story is "EBay in talks to buy AMD".

GET IT RIGHT.

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd 

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

What?  Why?  The CPU division has actual IP and tech Microsoft could use.

But they wouldn't be able to use x86, the graphics portion is a more stable bet, but who knows you maybe right microsoft might just want the rights to things and AMD main holds more of the patents and technology rights. Either way this is a rumor we need to hold our horses

Good ol' Fudgezilla; where recycling rumors is more than just a hobby.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would have been fine with amd bankrupt and intel/nvidia 1000$ chips.

But MS taking over AMD, having spyware at chip level, and basically they will get closer to ruin pc gaming for good. Oh well no one can do shit about it, ill just sit back and watch the drama.

AMD's stock today.

NZWChxe.png

LOL

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam