Selling computers, need help.

ilove64

Hello guys, my parents are low on money and I just turned 18, I was thinking about building custom computers for people and selling them for the same amount that I bought the parts for plus the building fee, I made a small advertisement for this idea near the place where I live, and two people are interested in buying a computer I would build for them (for around 500$ worth of parts).

My question is, how much in your opinion would be a reasonable price to taking for the process of helping decide on parts, and building the computer. As well as how could I make this work? I don't think I could just expect them to pay me so that I would get the parts before I have even ordered anything, I understand that that would be a risk for them that they wouldn't take. At the same time, it would be a risk for me if I would want to buy the parts myself and build the computer and then get a message from one of them saying he changed his mind etc.

Can anyone help me with this? I would love to help my family with some income, and I think I got a shot at this if I could figure these things out.

-SNIP-

I'd advise not doing this. 1) If they break the ycome to you 2) IF they want a refund you must pay 3) Companies like dell get get windows really cheap 4) People will always blame you somehow.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

$100 bucks

Thank you, but would you mind answering the bigger question in the post? Appreciate it a lot!

50-100

Also its way too risky, imagine he brakes it and blames you, better secure you with loads of stuff, even videos so you can show him if he complains

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I'd advise doing it for free, get people to like you and get your name out there.

Thank you, but would you mind answering the bigger question in the post? Appreciate it a lot!

IF YOU RELALY wanna do it go for it but theres going to be ALOt of things aginst you like V says

I'd advise not doing this. 1) If they break the ycome to you 2) IF they want a refund you must pay 3) Companies like dell get get windows really cheap 4) People will always blame you somehow.

I feel like this is a risk I might want to at least give a shot to, I'd rather not work in McDonalds lol. (If only I would understand that school was important for real as a child, uhhhhh)

50-100

NCIX does it for $50

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Guys the main point of this thread was me asking the main question that I don't know what to do about and you're asking about the more simpler one that I already got a feel about, the question is, how do I get the money for the parts? Is it expected for them to pay me before I order the parts?

I feel like this is a risk I might want to at least give a shot to, I'd rather not work in McDonalds lol. (If only I would understand that school was important for real as a child, uhhhhh)

Maybe ask close friends if they want repairs, or cleaning their pc and then offer to replace a few parts etc. It might bring in some income and they'll always come to you after.

You're going to be be more than just a PC builder very quickly. "Hey my computer you sold me has a virus, can you clean it up?" "My PC won't turn on after a power surge." "My PC used to be fast and is now really slow".

If you do decide, $100 minimum. Getting all the parts, doing a good assembling job and installing OS (plus updates, security software and such), $100 is very generous.

Edit: Have the buyer ay for parts, use the money to order. Make sure you factor in shipping costs and I would highly recommend some markup in case you need to return anything.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Hello guys, my parents are low on money and I just turned 18, I was thinking about building custom computers for people and selling them for the same amount that I bought the parts for plus the building fee, I made a small advertisement for this idea near the place where I live, and two people are interested in buying a computer I would build for them (for around 500$ worth of parts).

My question is, how much in your opinion would be a reasonable price to taking for the process of helping decide on parts, and building the computer. As well as how could I make this work? I don't think I could just expect them to pay me so that I would get the parts before I have even ordered anything, I understand that that would be a risk for them that they wouldn't take. At the same time, it would be a risk for me if I would want to buy the parts myself and build the computer and then get a message from one of them saying he changed his mind etc.

Can anyone help me with this? I would love to help my family with some income, and I think I got a shot at this if I could figure these things out.

You turned 18?  Get a real job.  Then you will actually be able to help.

Maybe build a good rig, and use classifieds to sell them with no warrantys. Closest you'll get x

-snip-

Answer the question, he's obviously considered this.

Answer the question, he's obviously considered this.

Sure, but even if he was able to occasionally get a 100 bucks while still skirting all the potential problems it isn't the same as a consistent paycheck.  To the OP, if you can't afford to buy the parts up front then the only option that I can see for you is to tell the potential buyers that they will have to pay for the parts up front, and then pay you for the labor at the end, and hope that they trust you enough.  You could even arrange for them to come with their credit card or whatever and order all the parts right there with them and show them what it is going to cost.

@ilove64

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately as well, to do something very similar. 

Some ideas I've come up with to deal with some of the risks are as follows:

-Take a deposit from the customer. This will help give you some money to buy the parts so the initial hit isn't so bad. Will also reduce the risk that the customer will back out after you've bought the parts/assembled the PC. 

-Be completely open and honest with the customer. Tell them you're doing this because you enjoy it and want to help people get their hands on better quality, longer-lasting PC's - explain why having you build one for them is better than buying a pre-built from the store (which can be done, windows included for less, but they use some crappy components).

-Find out what kind of PC the customer needs as well as their budget and custom tailor the build for them, rather than just building the same machine for everyone. 

-Draft up a contract. This can protect your ass if and when the customer decides to try and screw you over. In this contract you should outline things like:

-Deposit amount and amount due on delivery/pickup,

-Parts list with agreed upon pricing breakdown (part/labor),

-Expected time line/completion date,

-Builder and customer responsibilities for if and when the machine breaks down, etc.

Have the customer sign this contract before taking a dime from them. Make two copies, one for you and one for customer. This is legally binding. 

-Be true to your word. Self explanatory. 

Nobody can predict parts that are DOA or defective. This needs to be explained to the customer before hand so they understand. You can even offer your own services for if and when the machine breaks down (if you want). You can bet the customer will ask you "what do I do if it breaks?". ;)

It is a viable business and can be sustainable for part-time/side income, but you need to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. There will always be risk, regardless. But if you really enjoy doing this, then I say go for it. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS