"Scientists Make Mice “Remember” Things That Didn’t Happen"

EChondo

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/517226/scientists-make-mice-remember-things-that-didnt-happen/

Scientists have created a false memory in mice by manipulating neurons that bear the memory of a place. The work further demonstrates just how unreliable memory can be. It also lays new ground for understanding the cell behavior and circuitry that controls memory, and could one day help researchers discover new ways to treat mental illnesses influenced by memory.

his lab used mice that were genetically modified to allow for certain neurons to be activated with a flash of light; the technique enabled the researchers to activate a memory that caused a mouse to believe it had experienced electrical shocks in a particular box, even though no such thing had happened there. “The process of memory is nothing like a tape recording,” says study co-first author Steve Ramirez. “It’s really malleable and susceptible to the incorporation of new information.”

Interesting how a simple beam of light can alter memories and even experiences.

I wonder what other kind of "flashing" can alter experiences.  ;)

I should start selling these.

post-15851-0-51282000-1374805030.jpg

Really though, as long as we use this with good intentions, it should be a welcome procedure. The internet has a lot of potential to do harm as well, but we've been able to do more good things with it than bad and hopefully this can be done with other new technologies as well.

soo umm

the CIA could be using this for escape goats or just make assassins ??

very disturbing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Miceception

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

attachicon.gifTinFoilHat.jpg

Really though, as long as we use this with good intentions, it should be a welcome procedure. The internet has a lot of potential to do harm as well, but we've been able to do more good things with it than bad and hopefully this can be done with other new technologies as well.

I was thinking about making a tin foil hat a few hours ago, guess I should make it ASAP now...

attachicon.gifTinFoilHat.jpg

You will become a very rich man =)

those deja vu are also somewhat like this..

This scares me a bit... I know it could be used to treat mental illness and trauma but the potential for it being used for the wrong reasons is a bit scary even though it's still at a very early stage.

This is like Men In Black when people see the monsters they flash them.