Kraken G10 - 980 Ti

I am thinking thinking of using the Kraken G10 on my Ti. Do I HAVE to buy vrm heatsinks or thermal pads? Thx!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

You better get new thermal pads.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

yeah its recommended especially if youre overclocking

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can one of you guys direct me to the correct pads and heatsinks? Preferably Amazon or Newegg? Amazon esp. since I have prime. :D

This is my first time with a GPU. Is it hard? Thanks guys!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Can one of you guys direct me to the correct pads and heatsinks? Preferably Amazon or Newegg? Amazon esp. since I have prime. :D

aND I think it's time to call on @Faceman he knows a lot on the subject
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Do you have just the reference model 980Ti?

If so, you do want to buy thermal pads and heatsinks.

Thermal Pads:

Option #1 -->  Inexpensive, more material to work with.  Long shipping time.

Option #2 -->  Expensive, less material to work with, fast shipping time.

Aluminum Heatsinks:

Cosmos 20pcs Aluminum Heatsinks

Optional Extras:

VGA to PWM Adapter:  Allows you to plug the 92mm fan directly into GPU, frees up a motherboard fan header.  Allows for controlling fan speed in afterburner if the fan is PWM.  The included fan is not PWM.  Also note that it used to be $5.99 including shipping, not sure why they are charging so much for shipping all of a sudden.

PWM 92mm Fan.  You can get whatever you want, I highly recommend the Cooler Master Blade Master 92mm.  The included 92mm fan is very good, and nearly silent even at 100% speed.  You will want to run this fan at or near 100% at all times.  A lot of people buy Noctua 92mm fans, but I personally feel like that is kind of a waste.  Its not really a more powerful fan than the included 92mm fan, and the included fan is already very quiet.  Meanwhile, the Cooler Master fan is only $8, is much, much more powerful, but does get loud at higher RPMs.

2nd 120 or 140mm fan for push/pull with the radiator you use.  This reduces temps by 3-5C, and allows you to run the fans at a lower speed for a more quiet system.

High end thermal paste.  I highly recommend the Gelid GC Extreme TIM.  I have noticed that people who use this TIM are getting lower temps than others, but this TIM is twice as expensive as most other brands, which are still very good.  Noctua NT-H1, IC Diamond, MX-4, Prolimatech-PK3, etc..

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman

Thank you! I will look more into this when I get home from work.

A few questions for now: would Amazon have everything I'm looking for? And is this whole process difficult to do? What if I just decided to use a Corsair pump block instead? I'd rather try and keep everything on Amazon if possible.

Thank you.

@Faceman

Thank you! I will look more into this when I get home from work.

A few questions for now: would Amazon have everything I'm looking for? And is this whole process difficult to do? What if I just decided to use a Corsair pump block instead? I'd rather try and keep everything on Amazon if possible.

Thank you.

Yes, Amazon will have everything you need.  Which exact model of 980Ti do you have?  Is it the plain reference one?

The process is incredibly simple.  First you add thermal pads over the VRMs.  Then you remove the pre-applied thermal tape from the aluminum heatsinks, then place the aluminum heatsinks over the thermal pads, and you're done.

You could go with just the AIO, and no added heatsinks, but your VRMs will be on the hotter side, and this is a ~$650 dollar GPU. Tests have shown that just $15-$20 in heatsinks helps to reduce VRM temps close to the same level as a full waterblock, so it is absolutely worth it performance wise, and for peace of mind.

At the very least if you don't want to add your own heatsinks, you should buy a higher end 92mm fan and run it at or near 100%.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yes, Amazon will have everything you need.  Which exact model of 980Ti do you have?  Is it the plain reference one?

The process is incredibly simple.  First you add thermal pads over the VRMs.  Then you remove the pre-applied thermal tape from the aluminum heatsinks, then place the aluminum heatsinks over the thermal pads, and you're done.

You could go with just the AIO, and no added heatsinks, but your VRMs will be on the hotter side, and this is a ~$650 dollar GPU. Tests have shown that just $15-$20 in heatsinks helps to reduce VRM temps close to the same level as a full waterblock, so it is absolutely worth it performance wise, and for peace of mind.

At the very least if you don't want to add your own heatsinks, you should buy a higher end 92mm fan and run it at or near 100%.

Sorry I didn't specify. Yeah it's the reference Nvidia card. I got it especially for water cooling/overclocking/less noise/low temps. I just wanna make sure I have everything right. I was going to wait on the EVGA Hybrid kit but the availability is too low for me, as I want an option now. I definitely want to cool my vram/vrm with heatsinks, etc. I want to do it properly and not cut any corners.

I don't know if you're in the USA but if you could maybe provide links via Amazon to all the components you recommend I would be extremely greatful. I know I want to go with the red Kraken shroud as that would match my build. If you could link thermal pads, heatsinks, etc. that'd be great!

I was looking at Corsair for the AIO, as I really like Corsair products and my H110 is a fantastic product. Is the H55 a good product?

Thanks again and I really appreciate your help!

Sorry I didn't specify. Yeah it's the reference Nvidia card. I got it especially for water cooling/overclocking/less noise/low temps. I just wanna make sure I have everything right. I was going to wait on the EVGA Hybrid kit but the availability is too low for me, as I want an option now. I definitely want to cool my vram/vrm with heatsinks, etc. I want to do it properly and not cut any corners.

I don't know if you're in the USA but if you could maybe provide links via Amazon to all the components you recommend I would be extremely greatful. I know I want to go with the red Kraken shroud as that would match my build. If you could link thermal pads, heatsinks, etc. that'd be great!

I was looking at Corsair for the AIO, as I really like Corsair products and my H110 is a fantastic product. Is the H55 a good product?

Thanks again and I really appreciate your help!

I'm in a bit of a rush to leave, so I will link you to a different post of mine that covers it in detail, but I will be back later to answer specifics.

How to Water Cool a CPU + Single GPU for Under $200 Guide scroll down to the part about the G10, specifically cards without heatsinks or midplates.

You don't have to worry about the VRAM, it doesn't get hot enough to worry about, the VRMs though will need to be heatsinked.

The H55 is a good product if you can get it for $50.  The H75 is better value because it only costs $73, and comes with a 2nd fan already which will help with temps and low noise.  You can't go wrong with either.

@Faceman

Do I need a copper shim by chance? I read about this shim piece that some, but not all needed.

I'm ready to order parts. I'm getting everything you listed. The fan cable you listed is out of stock. Any others that'll work?

So the vrm heatsinks won't fall off? I would hate that.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: is there a video and/or manual for step by step? Just wanna make sure I do it right.

@Faceman

Do I need a copper shim by chance? I read about this shim piece that some, but not all needed.

I'm ready to order parts. I'm getting everything you listed. The fan cable you listed is out of stock. Any others that'll work?

So the vrm heatsinks won't fall off? I would hate that.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: is there a video and/or manual for step by step? Just wanna make sure I do it right.

Nope, not for the reference card.

Hmm that cable is out of stock? Maybe try eBay?

Nope, if you use the aluminum heat sinks and apply as I recommended, no heat sinks will fall off. It's always been the people with copper heat sinks.

There are some videos about installing the G10, but it's on different cards, and not using the thermal pad + heatsink method. I can help you through anything you have questions over.

Nope, not for the reference card.

Hmm that cable is out of stock? Maybe try eBay?

Nope, if you use the aluminum heat sinks and apply as I recommended, no heat sinks will fall off. It's always been the people with copper heat sinks.

There are some videos about installing the G10, but it's on different cards, and not using the thermal pad + heatsink method. I can help you through anything you have questions over.

Great thank you. I appreciate it.

If I have further questions I'll be sure to ask. Can't wait for lower temps!

@Faceman

One last few questions: I bought the Phobya thermal pads. I understand they're sticky on both sides. That's obviously great but is there any process I can do to MAKE SURE (caps for emphasis) that the pads and/or heatsinks will never fall off? Would hate for one to fall off then have to take it apart and reapply. I just don't want the stickiness to weaken over time as I will heavily overclock this thing.

I plan to take the existing rear exhaust fan out and replace it with the GPU radiator and fan. Any problems there?

Lastly, Since I don't have a GPU fan adapter, would it be unwise to hook it up to a fan controller. I was going to do it with the AIO fan since I have the current exhaust lower than intake. Since I can't monitor my GPU fan speed (at a cpu fan header through Afterburner) I would like to have control of it for when needed.

Thanks again!

@Faceman

One last few questions: I bought the Phobya thermal pads. I understand they're sticky on both sides. That's obviously great but is there any process I can do to MAKE SURE (caps for emphasis) that the pads and/or heatsinks will never fall off? Would hate for one to fall off then have to take it apart and reapply. I just don't want the stickiness to weaken over time as I will heavily overclock this thing.

I plan to take the existing rear exhaust fan out and replace it with the GPU radiator and fan. Any problems there?

Lastly, Since I don't have a GPU fan adapter, would it be unwise to hook it up to a fan controller. I was going to do it with the AIO fan since I have the current exhaust lower than intake. Since I can't monitor my GPU fan speed (at a cpu fan header through Afterburner) I would like to have control of it for when needed.

Thanks again!

Make sure you clean the bottom of the aluminum heatsinks very well, and don't touch the bottom before applying so that no finger grease will transfer. You shouldn't have a problem because the aluminum heatsinks weigh next to nothing, I've never heard of anyone having their aluminum heatsinks fall off.

When attaching them for the first time, give them a firm, but not too firm press to help with the adhesion.  Also let it sit for an hour or two before placing inside your chassis so that a bond forms.

Yup, set it to rear exhaust.  Go push/pull if you can.  You might have to buy a PWM Y-splitter for push/pull against a radiator if you don't already have a Y splitter, or use it with the fan controller, thats perfectly fine.

Make sure that the 92mm fan is running at or near full speed, you can do this via fan controller or plug it into your PSU/SATA via PSU or Sata to 3pin adapter.

@Faceman

Thanks for all of your help. You've been tremendous through my avalanche of questions. :D

Thank you again for taking the time. I'll post back tomorrow with results!

@Faceman

Thanks for all of your help. You've been tremendous through my avalanche of questions. :D

Thank you again for taking the time. I'll post back tomorrow with results!

Happy to help man, I'm here if you have any questions during or post installation.

Oh, one more thing, make sure you tighten the block down enough.  Tighten in a star pattern.  You don't want to overtighten so that the PCB is bending, but enough that your temps should be in the 50-60C range under load.

Happy to help man, I'm here if you have any questions during or post installation.

Oh, one more thing, make sure you tighten the block down enough. Tighten in a star pattern. You don't want to overtighten so that the PCB is bending, but enough that your temps should be in the 50-60C range under load.

Will do man. Thanks again.

@Faceman

Which chips are the VRM modules? Is there a picture of them? I have an idea just want to make sure I place the heatsinks on the right ones haha.

Thanks.

@Faceman

Which chips are the VRM modules? Is there a picture of them? I have an idea just want to make sure I place the heatsinks on the right ones haha.

Thanks.

ORQQov9.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 6/27/2015 at 11:51 AM, Faceman said:

ORQQov9.jpg

would you happen to know if i can use a G10 with an Asus Strix 980 ti??

On 3/10/2016 at 9:15 PM, iishowoff said:

would you happen to know if i can use a G10 with an Asus Strix 980 ti??

You can use a G10 with almost any GPU.  The Asus Strix 980 Ti is a good match.  I would still recommend thermal pads and heatsinks for the VRMs though.