Custom or Pre-Built?

Hey there! So, my dad has been looking into a new computer. He does photo editing/rendering. He wants to buy a dell XPS 8700 - But I am arguing with him that a Custom built would be more beneficial. I've stated my pros and cons on each side and hes stated his. Im posting to ask what you guys think. I beleive custom is the way to go, if you're a pre-built person, Why and why not?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Well 99% of this forums is going to argue custom. So, um custom.

Reason: Because PC MASTER RACE!?!?!

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

Custom since you don't have to pay for having it built but you have to make it yourself (obviously). and it's cheaper even with the same or similar components

Build one, you get better upgradability.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

Custom or GTFO. /s

But seriously, build one, don't buy a prebuilt.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Exactly what I think! But he wants the "live support" Companies give out for their prebuilt systems. I keep telling him that each component will have warranty: but he still disagrees.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Freedom of customization is not the same as pre-built.

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

Exactly what I think! But he wants the "live support" Companies give out for their prebuilt systems. I keep telling him that each component will have warranty: but he still disagrees.

Almost all PC parts come with warranties. Free, I've seen some go up 6-10years free. One thing I don't like about prebuilt a is they try and use cheap, off brand parts that aren't as reliable. My moms friend got this prebuilt PC and i swear the power supply was in a metal box with no fan, no cable sleeves, wasn't modular at all, used some ram by a company called PNY that was at 1333mhz, the mobo was some generic mobo that didn't have a brand name or part number on it. The HDD was atleast Seagate. You with a prebuilt pick the parts you want, that you know are reliable, and come with warranties.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Custom so you know what parts you are getting. Plus you will save a lot and learn while you're at it.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

You can but from a company like apricitytech.com that will let you choose the parts. And they list complete specs with brand names for their precongfiged options

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You would get better live support here than anything that Dell could offer you.

You have to understand that every time you need help, it costs Dell money.  That will reflect the quality of their service.

Custom allows you better parts (with full manufacturer's warranties), and means you will understand how your PC works better.

Hey there! So, my dad has been looking into a new computer. He does photo editing/rendering. He wants to buy a dell XPS 8700 - But I am arguing with him that a Custom built would be more beneficial. I've stated my pros and cons on each side and hes stated his. Im posting to ask what you guys think. I beleive custom is the way to go, if you're a pre-built person, Why and why not?

Well you can use a prebuilt seller that uses custom PC components like apricitytech.com or you can build it for him yourself. Prebuilts use terrible PSUs that can catch your house on fire and fans that last about a day. The things are not made well. They also come with bloatware for days.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This is your Dell 8700 $699 PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC)  <<Windows 10 is a free upgrade for anyone anyways
Total: $491.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 00:51 EDT-0400

$200 more for nothing.

Almost all PC parts come with warranties. Free, I've seen some go up 6-10years free. One thing I don't like about prebuilt a is they try and use cheap, off brand parts that aren't as reliable. My moms friend got this prebuilt PC and i swear the power supply was in a metal box with no fan, no cable sleeves, wasn't modular at all, used some ram by a company called PNY that was at 1333mhz, the mobo was some generic mobo that didn't have a brand name or part number on it. The HDD was atleast Seagate. You with a prebuilt pick the parts you want, that you know are reliable, and come with warranties.

PNY isnt all bad, not greatest either, i have a ssd from them going strong. But yeah they cheap out way to much, peoples psu's scare me.

pre-built pc in my opinion tend to be over priced for what your getting in the box  , this my be in my area not necessarily in yours ( Australia)

on of my friends was going to buy a new pc last year but he was looking at systems priced around $2k Aus , some of which didn't even have dedicated graphics cards for heavens sake ,

in the end i said if you want to spend $2k on it give me the money and I'll build you something way better then the pre-built pc for the same money, in the end i only spent around $800 for something better then what he was going to spend $2k on lol

You can but from a company like apricitytech.com that will let you choose the parts. And they list complete specs with brand names for their precongfiged options

Shameless self advertising? Noice... 

Though seriously OP, build it yourself. If you need motivation here's a JayzTwoCents video where his daughter mostly builds her own PC...

[spoiler=]

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Shameless self advertising? Noice... 

Though seriously OP, build it yourself. If you need moral support here's a JayzTwoCents video where his daughter mostly builds her own PC...

[spoiler=]

actually I don't work there no more

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Though seriously OP, build it yourself. If you need motivation here's a JayzTwoCents video where his daughter mostly builds her own PC...

[spoiler=]

I want to see linus and his son do a build, when his son is old enough.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

I want to see linus and his son do a build, when his son is old enough.

That'd be such a good video.

If you haven't build one yet I'll probably start listening hardwares videos and how to.

It is very simple,I've learned from my oncles but I have learn way difficult stuff with the Internet and it's infity of answers.

Here's how I would put it:

Custom: If you want to customize and build your PC with a cheaper price but have the risk of errors. If you're new to building PCs, you'll learn a lot.

Pre-built: If you want a company to build it for you for a higher price and have to worry about customer support. They can sometimes be upgraded.

If you're going for pre-built, you'll probably regret it.

Sorry if it sounds weird, I'm half asleep but I want to listen on the Monstercat showcase :(

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

PNY isnt all bad, not greatest either, i have a ssd from them going strong. But yeah they cheap out way to much, peoples psu's scare me.

It was just an example. With ram all it takes is an extra $10 if that to get a notable company that is reliable.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It was just an example. With ram all it takes is an extra $10 if that to get a notable company that is reliable.

indeed, ram should have a lifetime warranty too. I was just saying pny isn't as bad as you think, they are only somewhat big in america,mostly sold at best buys afaik. I don't think they made it either. Still were in agreement should spend the few dollars for quality.