Speed/Performance Difference Between 32-Bit and 64-Bit OS?

Go to solution Solved by 007agentHP,

there is no performance gain. the 64 bit can access more ram. 32 bit is limited to 4 gb. 64 is 16 billion gb

Hi all, just wanted to know if there is a speed difference and by how much there is between running a 32-Bit OS and a 64-Bit OS (Windows 7)

Say the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

32-bit software will run the same.

64-bit software will only run on one, so there's no comparison here.

Really, it's about software support more than speed. But if you have a choice between the two there's literally no reason to going with a 32-bit, you only limit yourself for no reason.

I'm not sure, but i know there is a memory cap for x86 bit at 3-4 gb, but x64 is basically unlimited.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

32 bit also has a limit to the amount of ram you can use afaik. Depending on what the machine is used for, for example lets say gaming, I would recommend 8GB of ram or more. 32 bit only supports 4 I think.... 2^32 so yeah. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

32-bit software will run the same.

64-bit software will only run on one, so there's no comparison here.

Really, it's about software support more than speed. But if you have a choice between the two there's literally no reason to going with a 32-bit, you only limit yourself for no reason.

I thought encryption and some programs benefited from 64-bit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I thought encryption and some programs benefited from 64-bit.

If they're 64-bit software they will. But 64-bit software won't run on a 32-bit OS at all, so there's no point in comparing the "speed difference". It'll run on one, it won't run on the other. Simple as that.

I thought it made some sort of performance difference because a few years back, I was playing Minecraft on this average laptop, but I had 32-Bit Java. I decided to uninstall the 32-Bit and install the 64-bit Java and it made a huge difference, it went from like 23-35fps to around 60.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

If they're 64-bit software they will. But 64-bit software won't run on a 32-bit OS at all, so there's no point in comparing the "speed difference". It'll run on one, it won't run on the other. Simple as that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1164/17

It's the same program isn't it ? and they just recompiled it so there is a point at comparing the speed.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I thought it made some sort of performance difference because a few years back, I was playing Minecraft on this average laptop, but I had 32-Bit Java. I decided to uninstall the 32-Bit and install the 64-bit Java and it made a huge difference, it went from like 23-35fps to around 60.

well if it was running on 32 bit it would decrease its available ram so that's the only difference.

there is no performance gain. the 64 bit can access more ram. 32 bit is limited to 4 gb. 64 is 16 billion gb

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

well if it was running on 32 bit it would decrease its available ram so that's the only difference.

That laptop only had 4gb of ram to begin with anyway and I'm pretty sure Minecraft doesn't use more than 2.5GB lol

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

And this is why I am keeping my phone with a snapdragon 805 until it dies or another 3-4 years.

Then it's the placibo effect, or something less obvious.

LIKE.... THE APU!

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Oh yea, I never used integrated graphics, almost forgot that they exist.

k, well the laptop has 4gb ram, nvidia gt540m and when I switched over to the 64 bit java, there DEFINATELY was a big performance increase (like i said from 35 to around 60 fps) not placebo

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler