Windows 10 preview upgrade guide

I ran it on my HTPC and had huge issued with video playback. Frames would go green or pink with weird dots, went back to 7. 

From what I've read, the technical preview hasn't been finished it. There are apparently still more updates to come, which makes sense. So far, I think it's pretty nice. I loaded the preview onto my laptop to see how it was looking, but then switched it back to 8.1 since it doesn't support games yet.

Which games didn't work for you? All of my games worked fine.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

How do I download the preview?  I only have it reserved!!

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

But who would want to upgrade to a buggy OS that's not even finished? I mean, it's kinda stable, but it clearly states on the website not to use that for a daily driver.

its finished, its stable , I've had no problems in a while. where on the Evaluation Copy now

How do I download the preview?  I only have it reserved!!

this is how you download the preview RIGHT NOW, its not the finished copy AND NEVER WILL BE IT WILL ALWAYS BE A BETA BUILD

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso# if need be and that doesn't work I can take it off my flash drive and put the files on Dropbox for anyone who wants it 

Ok.  So I just want to know what I need to do to get windows 10 on my pc.  I don't want a beta build.  I want the normal one.  Do I need to wait 15 more days and windows will get it for me or do I have to download it and install it _completely on my own_?

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

Ok.  So I just want to know what I need to do to get windows 10 on my pc.  I don't want a beta build.  I want the normal one.  Do I need to wait 15 more days and windows will get it for me or do I have to download it and install it _completely on my own_?

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade through Windows Update. First sign up to be an Insider, then go to Windows Update and check for updates. It should begin downloading Windows 10 Build 10166 (at the time of writing this). Once you have it installed, go to the settings app in the Start Menu, click Update and Security, and click advanced options under the Windows Update. You should see Get Insider builds and a slow and fast option in the dropdown menu. Click Fast, close the settings, and wait, as it takes some time. Keep checking the Windows Update for the Build 10240, which is RTM, otherwise known as actual Windows 10.

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade through Windows Update. First sign up to be an Insider, then go to Windows Update and check for updates. It should begin downloading Windows 10 Build 10166 (at the time of writing this). Once you have it installed, go to the settings app in the Start Menu, click Update and Security, and click advanced options under the Windows Update. You should see Get Insider builds and a slow and fast option in the dropdown menu. Click Fast, close the settings, and wait, as it takes some time. Keep checking the Windows Update for the Build 10240, which is RTM, otherwise known as actual Windows 10.

I don't want the preview.  I want the one that people will be buying licenses for after the final release.  Is this what  you are telling me to do?

I don't want the preview.  I want the one that people will be buying licenses for after the final release.  Is this what  you are telling me to do?

Well to get that you have to get the Insider Preview.

You need to wait until July 29th for the release.

You can do the reserve thing but it wont make a difference. You can do the upgrade through windows update after July 29th.

You do not need to download the preview to get the free copy of windows 10. Anyone that owns a current updated copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 will receive the upgrade for free via the windows update tool. If you click the reserve copy link you should get a pop up directing you on how to do the upgrade after the release date.

Well to get that you have to get the Insider Preview.

You do not need to download the preview to get the free release copy of windows 10.

*Edit to add

Build 10240 will still be a build for previewers, previewers will still be on the preview path utilizing the preview license. Insiders will have to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 in order to receive a full license. 

Spoiler
Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:21 PM   BEST ANSWER#128 icon_share.png
Ok update. Microsoft has clarified further. And it is like I was saying:

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you did a clean install of it. Your license remain genuine as long as you REMAIN in the beta program. If you leave, you need to buy Windows 10.

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you upgraded Windows 7 or 8 to it, then you can leave any time the Windows insider program, and revert back to the officially released Windows 10 build. Your license remains valid.

-> If you have Windows XP or Vista (or older and somehow try and get Windows 10 for free), or a pirated version of Windows and you want to get legit by not paying. You can't. The best you can do is the first point above, where you can get Windows 10 for free, but you become a beta tester. As a beta test, or Windows Insider, they are increase telemetry data collecting from you, you use an unstable build of Windows, you are the tester of Windows latest Windows updates, including security updates, which may results in data loss, or program compatibility issues, and be forced to upgrade to the latest build as they come, but you are exchanging all that, to have for free Windows 10.

-> Microsoft says, if you want to have Windows 10 for free, and you are currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you want to get out, and remain to the last official release version, and you did a clean install of Windows 10 Preview: You have no choice to format, install back Windows 7 or 8, and upgrade to Windows 10. Do it before the free upgrade offer ends to secure your Windows 10 license.

Source: http://blogs.windows...preview-builds/

See link below.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390380-microsoft-will-give-you-windows-10-for-free-if-you-test-it/page-7

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Sorry for the late response. You will have to wait. Sorry.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----