How do you clean a monitor ?

Jcolonna12

My monitors are covered in oil and dust and i have no idea on how to clean them. Please help!! e.t What cloth and liquid should i use?

As Helltech said that is the best solution otherwise something such as Windex with paper towels also work but you need to be careful not to over apply the cleaner.

Use a microfiber cloth with an LCD cleaning solution.

What he said, remember to wipe gentle and not press down too hard.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Buy a new monitor! Lol jk. I'd spray it out with canned air, then wipe it down with a cleaning solution with a microfiber cloth.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Glass cleaning, on a bit of cloth

Only apply a little bit of the stuff, and be gentle on the screen. Lay the screen as flat as possible.

If you are nervous about the amount of glass cleaning on your cloth, you most likely have too much.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

I would avoid any generic glass cleaners. Make sure the product you're using is specific to cleaning your screen, avoid ammonia, ethyl alcohol, acetone, toluene, ethyl acid, or methyl chloride. Some say 50/50 of water and vinegar works well.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Compressed air and micro-fibre clothes? make sure its 200+mesh as anything else will be too rough and caugh micron scratches on your LCD.

Compressed air and micro-fibre clothes? make sure its 200+mesh as anything else will be too rough and caugh micron scratches on your LCD.

If you're pressing hard enough with ANY type of actual microfiber cloth to cause stratches, then you're doing it wrong. That's where you start using a cleaning agent to eliminate the need to use pressure. If you have an excess of dust on the screen, a can of air will help by remove most of the larger particles without having to wipe it down and have it get caught in the cloth and proceed to scratch the glass.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

All screens type:

Take a bottle: Fill it 50% rubbing alcohol (70% type) and 50% distilled water (NOT TAP WATER, else you will get streaks depending how heavy (quantity of minerals) your water is)

Glossy or light anti-reflective screens only:

Bottle LCD cleaner.

Of course, use a lint free micro fiber cloth. While technically speaking micro fiber cloth is lint free, I have encountered some (the very cheap ones), that does.

Many LCD cleaner bottle comes with added product that repel dust. On an string anti-reflective screen coating, this can show mark, which required to be "washed down" (using the solution first mentioned, need to be applied and wipe 2-3 times)

OIL! If its that bad (most likely food oils and finger oils from touching!) I have used a damp fine paper cloth with a mini drop of dish washing detergent (Dawn, Palmolive, etc.) and smeared the drop on the damp cloth on a section then rubbed out the bad oily spots, I only work on the spots as little soap on the monitor as possible. Then, a clean damp cloth to remove the soap, and then dry it off with a nice fine paper cloth or microfiber, you can use anything from a camera lens paper to a decent paper towel. And when I mean rub, I mean like you would rub your eye if you had something in it, not rub like you do when you want to remove the grubby build up on the mouse pads. Then after all the oil spots are gone then one final pass with regular monitor cleaner on the whole screen, sometimes several passes till everything is nice and clean.

PS: It wasn't my monitor with the oil spots, I have to deal with others laptops and I have to do that to actually view the screen without puking at the sight of that gross stuff.

PS2: First rules of non-touch screen monitors/displays: NEVER EVER TOUCH IT! Use your mouse and circle around the item you'd like to point it out, but don't point with your finger and accidentally touch the screen, and its fair game to slap away anyone who gets within 12" of your screen with a hand/finger and I mean anyone.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

All screens type: Take a bottle: Fill it 50% rubbing alcohol (70% type) and 50% distilled water (NOT TAP WATER' date=' else you will get streaks depending how heavy (quantity of minerals) your water is) Glossy or light anti-reflective screens only: Bottle LCD cleaner. Of course, use a lint free micro fiber cloth. While technically speaking micro fiber cloth is lint free, I have encountered some (the very cheap ones), that does. Many LCD cleaner bottle comes with added product that repel dust. On an string anti-reflective screen coating, this can show mark, which required to be "washed down" (using the solution first mentioned, need to be applied and wipe 2-3 times) [/quote']

You should never use any type of alcohol to clean your screen.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

With a furry little critter of course make sure the little fella has a microfiber belly tho for for optimal cleanliness and cuteness (must be cute or wont clean efficiently)

This is what i use

post-1020-13667861597269_thumb.jpg

All screens type: Take a bottle: Fill it 50% rubbing alcohol (70% type) and 50% distilled water (NOT TAP WATER' date=' else you will get streaks depending how heavy (quantity of minerals) your water is) Glossy or light anti-reflective screens only: Bottle LCD cleaner. Of course, use a lint free micro fiber cloth. While technically speaking micro fiber cloth is lint free, I have encountered some (the very cheap ones), that does. Many LCD cleaner bottle comes with added product that repel dust. On an string anti-reflective screen coating, this can show mark, which required to be "washed down" (using the solution first mentioned, need to be applied and wipe 2-3 times) [/quote'] You should never use any type of alcohol to clean your screen.

It is fine for casual cleaning, where you have oil everywhere, and dirt. Not for everyday use.

With a furry little critter of course make sure the little fella has a microfiber belly tho for for optimal cleanliness and cuteness (must be cute or wont clean efficiently)

This is what i use

I have a horse one of these! Works wonders :p