380 (4gb) vs 970 (4gb) as a upgrade ?

maxtiggertom

hey guys just wondering which will be better for me (I have a 280x) btw :D my specs are as follows i5 4460, amd 280x, mx100 ssd (512) model, 8gbs of ram, 1tb western digital blue,  corsair 200r 

hey guys just wondering which will be better for me (I have a 280x) btw :D

380 (285) is a performance downgrade from a 280X.

Not worth it to upgrade yet tbh, wait to save up more and/or for Pascal release.

"Rawr XD"

What resolution are you using? Also why the upgrade? PC specs as well.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Follow you own topic.

If you have a 290x it will be a downgrade as the 300 series are rebrands. also the gtx 970 only has 3.5GB of functioning memory

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

Aren't the 280x and 380 the same architectures? If so can't he just crossfire them lol?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

380 (285) is a performance downgrade from a 280X.

Not worth it to upgrade yet tbh, wait to save up more and/or for Pascal release.

what is Pascal if i may ask ?

Aren't the 280x and 380 the same architectures? If so can't he just crossfire them lol?

No the 280X is a 280 and the 380 is a 285

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

No, the 280X is based on a Tahiti core, and the 380 is based on Tonga core (with bridgeless CrossFire, etc.) so the two cannot be crossfired together.

Follow you own topic.

If you have a 290x it will be a downgrade as the 300 series are rebrands, also the gtx 970 only has 3.5GB of functioning memory

All 4GB on a 970 are functional. The card does fill up to 4GB if you need it.

380 = 285 (Tonga)

280X = 7970 GHz Edition (Tahiti)

280 = 7950 Boost (Tahiti XT)

"Rawr XD"

Follow you own topic.

If you have a 290x it will be a downgrade as the 300 series are rebrands, also the gtx 970 only has 3.5GB of functioning memory

And this is where you're wrong.  All 4GB are functioning, but the 3.5GB and 0.5GB partition cannot perform the same action simultaneously.  Writing to 3.5, reading from 0.5? Fine.  Reading from 3.5, writing to 0.5? Fine.  Only if BOTH partitions are performing the exact same action will there be a drop in bandwidth.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

All 4GB function, just at different speeds.

"Rawr XD"

All 4GB function, just at different speeds.

I could put a sd card slot on a gpu with a 64gb sd card, that doesn't make the 64 gb useable in a scenario that needs speed like gaming.

For all intents and purposes, the 970 is a 3.5gb card with an extra 0.5gb "available".

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I could put a sd card slot on a gpu with a 64gb sd card, that doesn't make the 64 gb useable in a scenario that needs speed like gaming.

For all intents and purposes, the 970 is a 3.5gb card with an extra 0.5gb "available".

That wasn't even addressed to you, but anyways, the quote was that "the gtx 970 only has 3.5GB of functioning memory"

func·tion
ˈfəNG(k)SH(ə)n/
verb

gerund or present participle: functioning
work or operate in a proper or particular way.

All 4GB of VRAM on the 970 function, as in they work. If that 64GB ran at MicroSD speeds, it does not mean that only 56GB would function on a 970, all 64 would.

"Rawr XD"

The 380 is between the 285 and the 280X. so it will be a marginal downgrade. However there is no reports out yet how the current 300 series overclocks seeing as AMD DID do something with the TDP of most of their cards, they even managed to shave 25W off the 390 and 390X. which is no small feet given how hot the Hawaii GPU is.

That wasn't even addressed to you, but anyways, the quote was that "the gtx 970 only has 3.5GB of functioning memory"

func·tion
ˈfəNG(k)SH(ə)n/
verb

work or operate in a proper or particular way.

All 4GB of VRAM on the 970 function, as in they work. If that 64GB ran at MicroSD speeds, it does not mean that only 56GB would function on a 970, all 64 would.

I understood that, wasn't trying to be mean, he was incorrect in his wording.

but you wouldn't call it a 64gb 970, it would still be a 3.5/4gb card.

You're not going to be using those 500mb in most cases, nvidia even optimised it so it would be accessed last.

I understood that, wasn't trying to be mean.

but you wouldn't call it a 64gb 970, it would still be a 3.5/4gb card.

You're not going to be using those 500mb in most cases, nvidia even optimised it so it would be accessed last.

I get what you're trying to say, but in the context of what I was originally replying to, if a 970 had 4GB or 64GB, ALL of that VRAM will still function. Like I said earlier, it does function at different speeds, there is no doubt in that, but it's still a 4GB card. All 4GB work. It's not like only 3.5GB of it works, and as soon as you get to that last 0.5GB it will completely cease to function.

"Rawr XD"

I get what you're trying to say, but in the context of what I was originally replying to, if a 970 had 4GB or 64GB, ALL of that VRAM will still function. Like I said earlier, it does function at different speeds, there is no doubt in that, but it's still a 4GB card. All 4GB work. It's not like only 3.5GB of it works, and as soon as you get to that last 0.5GB it will completely cease to function.

As I said, I (personally) would not consider those last 0.5gb "working",the way you would define the rest of the 3.5gb "working".

and obviously others where of the same thoughs, when they sued Nvidia.

But yes it's a 4GB card.

We could pick at the meaning of words all day like lawyers if we wanted to.

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

func·tion
ˈfəNG(k)SH(ə)n/
verb

work or operate in a proper or particular way.

Guess we have different definitions of proper.

func·tion
ˈfəNG(k)SH(ə)n/
verb

work or operate in a proper or particular way.

Guess we have different definitions of proper.

Proper OR particular way.  It works in a very specific particular way Nvidia has set it to run at.

As I said, I (personally) would not consider those last 0.5gb "working",the way you would define the rest of the 3.5gb "working".

and obviously others where of the same thoughs, when they sued Nvidia.

But yes it's a 4GB card.

We could pick at the meaning of words all day like lawyers if we wanted to.

Well "usable" and "functioning" are different things. I've already provided the definition so there's no doubt that all 4GB function but whether or not they're usable or not depends on the usage scenario. As most people buy 970s for games then yes many people do refer to that 0.5GB as not usable, but to say that they're not functioning is incorrect by the definition of the English language.

-snip-

What is VRAM supposed to do? Store data. 

Does the 0.5GB of the 970 store data? Yes.

There is no debate here.

Proper OR particular way.  It works in a very specific particular way Nvidia has set it to run at.

This as well.

"Rawr XD"

So according to Nvidia it would be functioning then, but according to me it doesn't function since they don't advertise that it is different.

-snip-

To me the 0.5GB should be able to work with the other 3.5GB at same speed, not just store data.

Maybe we should all agree that i think you're wrong, and you think i'm wrong and get back on topic.

So according to Nvidia it would be functioning then, but according to me it doesn't function since they don't advertise that it is different.

Different or not, the drivers do their best to make it so you never notice the difference.  Do you care if your monitor displays pixels from the top to the bottom first, as opposed to bottom to top when all you see is still a complete picture?