Gigabit Ethernet slowness?

_Grid21

Hello! I have a weird issue I'd like to resolve. I have a Gigabit Ethernet in my house. I was doing a test of transfer speeds between my new file server and my high end custom desktop and I noticed that transfer speeds were about 12.0Mbps to 15 or so Mbps. Is this normal? The server has a PCI Gigabit Ethernet hard, and my desktop is using the on-board Ethernet jack. Is it because one is PCI and the other is on-board Ethernet? What is the average speed of Gigabit Ethernet and how do I tell if I am running at the highest speed possible? On Wi-Fi Wireless AC it's even slower. Only 7.23Mbps. What's the bottleneck here?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Hello! I have a weird issue I'd like to resolve. I have a Gigabit Ethernet in my house. I was doing a test of transfer speeds between my new file server and my high end custom desktop and I noticed that transfer speeds were about 12.0Mbps to 15 or so Mbps. Is this normal? The server has a PCI Gigabit Ethernet hard, and my desktop is using the on-board Ethernet jack. Is it because one is PCI and the other is on-board Ethernet? What is the average speed of Gigabit Ethernet and how do I tell if I am running at the highest speed possible? On Wi-Fi Wireless AC it's even slower. Only 7.23Mbps. What's the bottleneck here?

ur drives are slower than 1Gbps

ur drives are slower than 1Gbps

I believe most of them are around the 7200RPM. Granted, I'm transferring from an external drive to another external drive. But how do I tell what is a full Gigabit speed?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

I believe most of them are around the 7200RPM. Granted, I'm transferring from an external drive to another external drive. But how do I tell what is a full Gigabit speed?

gigabit is the speed, gigabytes is the file size. a gigabit is 1/8 the size of a gigabyte, so if you have gigabit ethernet you can only transfer 1/8 of a gigabyte. and hardrives are alot slower, if you want to get max performance get an ssd

so if you want the full gigabyte, you need a 10 gigabit connection and a roudy ssd array

What is your "new file server"? Read/write speeds are not just dependant on drive speed. The operating system has to be capable of transferring at high speeds. Could be having an issue with transferring to an external.

gigabit is the speed, gigabytes is the file size. a gigabit is 1/8 the size of a gigabyte, so if you have gigabit ethernet you can only transfer 1/8 of a gigabyte. and hardrives are alot slower, if you want to get max performance get an ssd

Wat.

so if you want the full gigabyte, you need a 10 gigabit connection and a roudy ssd array

What is a "rowdy ssd array"?

Hard drives aren't that slow. A single high performance hard drive can max out a gigabit connection.

Hard drives aren't that slow. A single high performance hard drive can max out a gigabit connection.

Lol. No they can't, the best consumer SSD's only hit around 500Mbps at their best

Lol. No they can't, the best consumer SSD's only hit around 500Mbps at their best

Check your facts. A gigabit connection gives approximately 125 MegaBYTES per second. High performance hard drives can hit that speed. The 850 Evo SSD hits 500+ MBps, not Mbps.

So how do I tell if I am running at the fastest speed possible? My server is running Windows 2012 Server.