CPU for Asus Z97-AR

I was at Fry's Electronics yesterday and i picked up this Asus Z97-AR for $37. It was the  display unit they had. I got a G1850 to test it! and it works!!! 

My current system is an AMD 8350 with an Asus M5A99X Pro r2.0... Honesty I'm good with this system. But well since i got a great deal on the motherboard i'm going to upgrade to it... 

Question. What CPU should i get... the upcoming Skylake CPU's wouldn't work right? Should i wait for the i5-5675C or just get the i5-4690K? 

I run a r290x so i don't need onboard graphics... 

If you're not in a hurry wait, why not? Who knows how it'll play out.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

No, skylake CPUs are socket 1151

If youre just gaming, save up for a 4690k

if you do more stuff like editing, rendering, and other content creation then get a xeon 1231v3

or if you want to go all out, save up to a 4790k, the best CPU on 1150

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Judging from only the specs, I think the 4690K will actually be a little better if you are not concerned about energy consumption.

If you can get the 4690K for a nice price I think that might be a better deal, or wait until Skylake arrives and see if you can get one second hand. Skylake chips won't work on 1150 as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/581/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4690K_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-5675C.html

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

i5-4690k

Nice find on the mobo by the way.  I own one and paid a lot more than $37!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No, skylake CPUs are socket 1151

If youre just gaming, save up for a 4690k

if you do more stuff like editing, rendering, and other content creation then get a xeon 1231v3

or if you want to go all out, save up to a 4790k, the best CPU on 1150

I had forget about the xeon's that work for 1150... 

I do a little bit of everything. gaming, photoshop and premiere. not always... I've been reading on some reviews that the xeon 1231v3 is a better bang for your buck than the 4690k. 

they have the 4790 on fry's for $270 USA. that's maybe other option now... 

I do have a custom watercool system on my pc... I never really push the FX8350. just to like 4.4Ghz... Not much of an OC person. 

I had forget about the xeon's that work for 1150... 

I do a little bit of everything. gaming, photoshop and premiere. not always... I've been reading on some reviews that the xeon 1231v3 is a better bang for your buck than the 4690k. 

they have the 4790 on fry's for $270 USA. that's maybe other option now... 

I do have a custom watercool system on my pc... I never really push the FX8350. just to like 4.4Ghz... Not much of an OC person. 

for $20 more than the xeon I would get the 4790k

even if youre not overclocking

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020