F@H with Nvidia and AMD GPU in the same rig

Go to solution Solved by Mentalguy,

I had a rig running not too long ago that had AMD and Nvidia, it worked fine, try shutting of CPU folding and leave it run for a bit.

Hi All, 

I have been folding for a while now and really want to maximize my PPD.

I had an old AMD HD6450 laying around not being used, so i through it in a rig with a Nvidia 550TI.

I had to tinker around with the drivers and all but i finally got it to work. 

I have used OCCT to test both GPUs (one at a time) and they both work. the 550TI is the main GPU that is connected to my monitor.

However this is where the issue starts. 

When I run F@H on full my CPU and 550TI max out and are working great but the 6450 remains at 0% GPU usage.

Anyone have any ideas on how to force F@H to use the 6450?

Thanks

-ces160

did you trying checking on the net first ?

i heard many times that its not possible

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

does the 6450 fold when its the only card in the gpu? connect the monitor to the 6450 with the 550ti still in and see if the 550ti stops folding and the 6450 starts folding....

-ANubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

As per much of what you find on the net, people say that in theory, you can fold on both brands in the same system, and people have even posted about it, so it does work... in some cases. I myself, with MANY various cards types and combinations have not been able to get it to run. Typically either the AMD or the NVidia cards will just outright fail. I actually stopped testing this as it was simply taking to much time and the few posts that indicated that it worked for somewhat and provided some limited documentation, never works for me, in any combo.

I currently have a single GPU folder running all my AMD cards and my NVidia cards are sitting on a shelf... (hope to have a NVidia folder up soon...)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I believe that with Windows 7 X64 and onward you can have multiple GPU drivers loaded as long as they meed the WDDM requirement.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Oh, I never had any issue getting drivers installed, or even Windows recognizing the various cards. Getting FAH to work though, different story. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I had a rig running not too long ago that had AMD and Nvidia, it worked fine, try shutting of CPU folding and leave it run for a bit.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have noticed that the work unit that is allocated to the 6450 is folding. However very very slowly.

Estimated PPD is 790.

What i don't understand is if it is folding why is GPU monitor and MSI afterburner indicating the usage is 0%,

And i know GPU monitor and Afterburner are working because when I use OCCT to do a GPU test the usage goes up to 99%.

I'll try and disable the CPU folding for a while and see if that has any effect.

-ces160

It worked leaving the CUP off for a while has now allowed the 6450 to fold correctly. 

The 6450 has gone form 790PPD to over 11KPPD.

Thanks everyone who replied.

-ces160

It worked leaving the CUP off for a while has now allowed the 6450 to fold correctly. 

The 6450 has gone form 790PPD to over 11KPPD.

Thanks everyone who replied.

-ces160

Depending on how many threads you have you can start up cpu folding again, you just need to set your CPU affinity to one or two less than your total threads

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!