Sapphire R9 290x 8GB Vs Sapphire r9 390x 8GB

iamdarkyoshi

I am buying a new GPU for my PC and plan to watercool it. I found these two cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202147

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202144

I have heard that a bios flash makes the 290x sapphire perform the same as the 390x. Is this true? also, do they use the same PCB layout as a reference cooler? I was looking at this watercooler: http://koolance.com/video-card-vga-amd-radeon-r9-290x-water-block-vid-ar290x

Thanks!

Deff get the 290x as its 100$ cheaper.

I bleive its non refernace

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

First correct the title. Do you game in 4k and 1440p? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I bleive its non refernace

Are you ok?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The 390X is likely binned higher, but YMMV on that so I probably wouldn't bother.

well the 290x is very similar to the 390x, so the 380x is actually worse

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You dont even need a bios flash you can just overclock it a bit. That should do the trick.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

whoops, didnt notice that. I play games at 4800x1200 and I am upgrading soon. I also do a fair amount of CAD work and rendering.

I'd say grab the 290x 8GB, it's not really a great perfromance improvement to warrant the extra 100 dollars and you can overclock it to try to reach the 390X league.

Pascal laptops guide

I'd say grab the 290x 8GB, it's not really a great perfromance improvement to warrant the extra 100 dollars and you can overclock it to try to reach the 390X league.

and so with this, what block should I use? is it a reference card?

Are you ok?

No, my computer is curently dissablemed and i have to type on my moms imac on an apple ekyboard.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

and so with this, what block should I use? is it a reference card?

That I really don't know.

Pascal laptops guide

I have heard that a bios flash makes the 290x sapphire perform the same as the 390x. Is this true? also, do they use the same PCB layout as a reference cooler? I was looking at this watercooler: http://koolance.com/video-card-vga-amd-radeon-r9-290x-water-block-vid-ar290x

Thanks!

You don't need to flash BIOS, just overclock the damn card manually,

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

There is a thread in the news section that has links to hacked drivers/bios that give you the straight tesselation improvements of the 390x. I don't have the courage to link them myself.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

There is a thread in the news section that has links to hacked drivers/bios that give you the straight tesselation improvements of the 390x. I don't have the courage to link them myself.

interesting. I might try them... But first I must get the card and block.

No, my computer is curently dissablemed and i have to type on my moms imac on an apple ekyboard.

Ah that explains everyhting. Those apple ekyboards are the worst... :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727&cm_re=Radeon_R9_390X-_-14-150-727-_-Productconsidering that the sapphire card looks slightly different than reference, I will probably go for an xfx r9 390x as it looks the same as reference and it already has a backplate. this puts me closer to max budget though.