Is ARMA III any good?

XplosiveNoctua99
Go to solution Solved by Soulassassin,

I want to know whether ARMA III is any good because it is currently $24 in the steam sale

Sup Dude! I would say that it is definitely worth it. Once you get used to the keys that you need to use then you WILL love this game. In my opinion, every time you launch Arma III you will have an unique experience. This game is so flexible that I think if they optimized the code a bit better, I would've paid $100 for this game. Just because the game is such a great "sandbox" you can do anything with it.

I even started learning the SQF language just to mod this game and it's great. Like I said, and many above mentioned. The optimization if the achilles heel for this release.

That being said, I have never EVER had the amount of fun in any game again after starting to play Arma III. At first it felt a bit overwhelming with all the new things you had to learn to be able to play the game and enjoy it to its’ full potential, but once you get used to it you will be hooked J

It’s massive fun with friends and nothing like any other FPS you have ever played, you will find yourself immersed in the game whether you are running away from the OPS forces in an escape from altis custom mission (downloadable from www.armaholic.com) or whether you find yourself doing illegal cocaine processing runs on Altis Life (http://www.altisliferpg.com).

I do though, recommend checking out the Youtube channel from Dslyecxi (https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi) for tips and guides while you wait for the download J

Also check out these mods that are quite good once you feel you don’t want to play with the “vanilla” Arma III Engine anymore. You can switch these mods on and off with the launcher or with playwithsix (http://play.withsix.com/) once you have downloaded them.

1. Altis Life RPG (might not need any mods to play on 90% of the servers)

2. Battle Royale (mod required)

3. King of the hill (no mod required)

Believe me you will have a lot of fun with this game. And for $24 it’s a steal!

Look me up on steam if you want and we can game together.

(soulassassin599)

I want to know whether ARMA III is any good because it is currently $24 in the steam sale

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Yeah it's fun, but I think it's more fun with friends, see if you can find people to play with!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I like it a lot. Good workshop support and fun game modes (TAW, Wasteland, ETC.)

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

its a damn good sim but its not forgiving or easy,

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It's alright IMO. The thing that I hate most is the horrible optimization, since the game only runs off one core. So if a bomb goes off your fps will drop like no other. Can't even max the game out because of that issue

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It is good but there is a lot of bugs.

Just have in mind that this is SIMULATOR and not your every day shooter. And yes.. the optimatization for CPU is really bad.. your CPU should be fine though. It may get hammered on 100+ player servers.

From my videos (videos are not made public or monetized so I hope this wont be taken as self advertising):

Bugs: 

Firefight: 

Hello!

Arma 3 has a lot of content, which is worth the $60.00 price tag but the optimization is what really drags the game down.

The thing about Arma that you should know about is that even if you have a great computer the game is really hit or miss on multiplayer servers on what your performance is going to be on a case by case basis, and that sucks, but that's OK if you like the game play.

Arma 3 brings you to another form of modding, a kind of modding that would leave you in awe of what people can create in a video game. For example, the Military Simulators have you sign up to them and the folks dedicated to this form of game play is insane! Also there's things like Arma 3 Life which brings things to a whole new level and an expansion of immersion. Once your done with the mods you can just get into one of the Wasteland servers and play running simulator if you'd like!

The amount of content in the game is great and the upcoming DLC are free with in game annoyances. Overall, there are a lot of options in Arma 3 and its hard for someone to not find something that they really like.

8/10

It's alright IMO. The thing that I hate most is the horrible optimization, since the game only runs off one core. So if a bomb goes off your fps will drop like no other. Can't even max the game out because of that issue

1 core :o

dat sucks D:

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

One of my favorite games.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

It's great only if you have someone to play with (preferably a few people) and you a ready for slow paced combat. Imagine a clunkier open world insurgency. And you need a 5ghz intel cpu just for it to run well so there is that. I suggest insurgency over arma. Insurgency is only $5. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

It's great only if you have someone to play with (preferably a few people) and you a ready for slow paced combat. Imagine a clunkier open world insurgency. And you need a 5ghz intel cpu just for it to run well so there is that. I suggest insurgency over arma. Insurgency is only $5. 

I do hope this is hyperbole because this is a load of horseshit

im not going to say FPS doesnt fluctuate but it was perfectly playable on my 4770k at stock speed.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I do hope this is hyperbole because this is a load of horseshit

im not going to say FPS doesnt fluctuate but it was perfectly playable on my 4770k at stock speed.

You are literally the first person I have ever seen who has ever backed up arma 3 in the fact that it runs anywhere near acceptably well. I OC 5ghz pentium would absolutely stomp your 4770k in this game. Because it's only supports 1 core. Hell that pentium would crush a 5960x. Arma 3 is literally the worst running game I have ever put on my pc without a shadow of a doubt. Not to say it's terrible but unless you can take bad frame rates it's a big pass. Either that or you have a friend with a beastly server, because the frame rate is more reliant on the server over anything. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Very fun game with friends on a King of the Hill server.

Performance is a minus but my 2500k and 970 does it in a playable framerate.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

You are literally the first person I have ever seen who has ever backed up arma 3 in the fact that it runs anywhere near acceptably well. I OC 5ghz pentium would absolutely stomp your 4770k in this game. Because it's only supports 1 core. Hell that pentium would crush a 5960x. Arma 3 is literally the worst running game I have ever put on my pc without a shadow of a doubt. Not to say it's terrible but unless you can take bad frame rates it's a big pass. Either that or you have a friend with a beastly server, because the frame rate is more reliant on the server over anything. 

im not defending ARMA3s performance at all. it leaves ALOT to be desired, no one who has spent time with it dispute thats.

And of course something OCed to 5ghz on this game will stomp on my 4770, the fact its a 4770 is irrelevant, In other news water is wet.

it doesn't change the fact I can easily see 40-60fps in most scenarios with my cpu in arma and saying you NEED a 5ghz cpu for the game to be playable is not the tiniest bit true.

System Specs

im not defending ARMA3s performance at all. it leaves ALOT to be desired, no one who has spent time with it dispute thats.

And of course something OCed to 5ghz on this game will stomp on my 4770, the fact its a 4770 is irrelevant, In other news water is wet.

it doesn't change the fact I can easily see 40-60fps in most scenarios with my cpu in arma and saying you NEED a 5ghz cpu for the game to be playable is not the tiniest bit true.

40-60fps in what kind of scenario? An open field with 2 enemies? I don't believe anything less that 45fps is a reasonable gameplay experience unless you are coming straight from a console. I would love to see you record some video in a city in arma 3 where you can keep it between 40-60fps stable on a random server because I already know you can't. Maybe you can if your friend has an incredible server but as for the average pc gamer I couldn't recommend arma for anymore more than $10 I made the mistake of buying arma 3 and days years ago now and neither of which have improved much at all. They hold little value.

Yep! It's currently my favourite game! There are many different online gamemodes to pick from and also a single player campaign!

In regards to online game modes, you can do things such as deathmatches, survival, Zeus mode and more! My personal favourite is AltisLife. You role play as a citizen on the island (Altis, which is based off a real island - Lemnos) and make money and do activities. You can be a cop, a medic, civ, hobo or rebel. It's great! 

And the best part is that there isn't one main dedicated server. Most (if not all) servers are community hosted, so you can find a community which suits you. Personally, I play on the biggest Altis Life community which can be found by searching "altis life" into google and clicking the first link. (Trying not to advertise here xD)

Most game modes don't require mods / downloads, but some servers might have DLCs enabled or extra mods to enhance gameplay. There are also other mods which are entire game modes in themselves!

Overall, it's a great game and you should buy it on sale!

40-60fps in what kind of scenario? An open field with 2 enemies? I don't believe anything less that 45fps is a reasonable gameplay experience unless you are coming straight from a console. I would love to see you record some video in a city in arma 3 where you can keep it between 40-60fps stable on a random server because I already know you can't. Maybe you can if your friend has an incredible server but as for the average pc gamer I couldn't recommend arma for anymore more than $10 I made the mistake of buying arma 3 and days years ago now and neither of which have improved much at all. They hold little value.

I have an i7 960 with GTX 970. Singleplayer with high setting im hitting 70 fps. Online with medium setting im hitting around 20 - 30 fps, with some drops in cities or when with lots of players.

someone is salty.

I'm not going to waste my time going though random ass servers and making video A) cause its 4am and B) I have a headache.

but I will happy run the mod benchmark I've been using.

A6FU8MN.jpg

5ghz needed my ass...

System Specs

Sup Dude! I would say that it is definitely worth it. Once you get used to the keys that you need to use then you WILL love this game. In my opinion, every time you launch Arma III you will have an unique experience. This game is so flexible that I think if they optimized the code a bit better, I would've paid $100 for this game. Just because the game is such a great "sandbox" you can do anything with it.

I even started learning the SQF language just to mod this game and it's great. Like I said, and many above mentioned. The optimization if the achilles heel for this release.

That being said, I have never EVER had the amount of fun in any game again after starting to play Arma III. At first it felt a bit overwhelming with all the new things you had to learn to be able to play the game and enjoy it to its’ full potential, but once you get used to it you will be hooked J

It’s massive fun with friends and nothing like any other FPS you have ever played, you will find yourself immersed in the game whether you are running away from the OPS forces in an escape from altis custom mission (downloadable from www.armaholic.com) or whether you find yourself doing illegal cocaine processing runs on Altis Life (http://www.altisliferpg.com).

I do though, recommend checking out the Youtube channel from Dslyecxi (https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi) for tips and guides while you wait for the download J

Also check out these mods that are quite good once you feel you don’t want to play with the “vanilla” Arma III Engine anymore. You can switch these mods on and off with the launcher or with playwithsix (http://play.withsix.com/) once you have downloaded them.

1. Altis Life RPG (might not need any mods to play on 90% of the servers)

2. Battle Royale (mod required)

3. King of the hill (no mod required)

Believe me you will have a lot of fun with this game. And for $24 it’s a steal!

Look me up on steam if you want and we can game together.

(soulassassin599)

Suddenly, a wild chess match appeared!!!!

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

:ph34r:

I can promise you that if you played on a server that is dropping below 40FPS, then the mods are not correctly optimized or they are 200 players on the server.

I have noticed that on server hardware the Arma III server runs best from a Ramdrive or a enterprise SSD. CPU plays a big role but I played Arma III on my i7 950 for 900+ hours and I have no issues with the performance, sure it could run smoother but I don't have any complaints because of the amount of fun that I have had with this game. Now that I have my 4790K though. it's amazing! :)

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

I also call into question the claims of the game only using 1 core 1st of all it has a hyperthreading toggle right in the launcher, which yes is not a core its clearly trying to utilize more then 1

and 2, utilization of all cores on my cpu including HT is fairly equal when ARMA 3 is running, the drops in utilization are whenever I tabbed out of the game just to be assured that it was the game causing the spike rather then something else.

hJFeYyq.jpg

again dont mistake this for me saying arma will run at 60 fps at all times. It doesn't it needs some work on the optimization front. But its hardly unplayable.

System Specs

someone is salty.

I'm not going to waste my time going though random ass servers and making video A) cause its 4am and B) I have a headache.

but I will happy run the mod benchmark I've been using.

A6FU8MN.jpg

5ghz needed my ass...

I can promise you that if you played on a server that is dropping below 40FPS, then the mods are not correctly optimized or they are 200 players on the server.

I have noticed that on server hardware the Arma III server runs best from a Ramdrive or a enterprise SSD. CPU plays a big role but I played Arma III on my i7 950 for 900+ hours and I have no issues with the performance, sure it could run smoother but I don't have any complaints because of the amount of fun that I have had with this game. Now that I have my 4790K though. it's amazing! :)

OP just google arma 3 performance issues. You will see a plethera of issues, I have never personally met anyone who can run the game over 40 fps stable in all scenarios. I don't believe these clowns for a second and neither should you. If anything trust google over me and them. 

OP just google arma 3 performance issues. You will see a plethera of issues, I have never personally met anyone who can run the game over 40 fps stable in all scenarios. I don't believe these clowns for a second and neither should you. If anything trust google over me and them. 

Way to be an adult  :rolleyes: 

At least we can say one claim you are making is true.

Fco1yAO.jpg

System Specs

Not going to get into an argument over this. Like I said optimization is not the best in this game and leaves a lot to be desired, but people are also not spinning up their servers properly. If you have too many things on the map performance will suffer. If you play wasteland and not altis you will get better performance. etc etc etc.

Great game and depending on the mission you are playing, performance will differ.

But please do google Arma III you will find negative reviews because of performance, but the gameplay is out of this world.

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖