Should I defrag my SSD just this once?

Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,
Hi there @Wickens!

You don't need and don't want to defrag a SSD because it wouldn't make your access faster, nor your speed, and it will decrease the lifespan of the drive. Since there's no physical movement in the SSD the defragging is just causing a significant number of writes for no reason, which decreases its lifespan as that is set by the number of writes per cell.

Cheers! :)

I have a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB in my system right now, and it has quite a lot of fragmented files. Is it worth me defragging, despite the fact that it lowers the lifespan of the drive?

5Vd9r6B.png

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

you don't defrag ssd's IT IS REALLY BAD FOR THEM! 

Edit: I'm just referring to writes to the ssd which is bad for it's life span. 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

No. SSDs don't have to physically move (Like HDDs) to access different parts of the disk so  fragmentation doesn't affect performance much if at all.

Edited by Cat :^)

NO

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

No. Fragmentation is not much of a performance issues like it is on HDDs. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Oh, I know. It's very tempting though.

No. SSDs don't have to physically move (Like HDDs) to access different parts of the disk so  fragmentation doesn't affect performance much if at all.

So the fragmented files themselves aren't taking up 31GB? That's my issue - Not the performance loss (Which as you said, is none to a little) but the space they eat - If they do eat space.

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

That was when everyone thought ssd's had really really low write- life-span.. disproven by tests..

That said, it offers no benefits, however clear space does.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

That was when everyone thought ssd's had really really low write- life-span.. disproven by tests..

That said, it offers no benefits, however clear space does.

If you can link me to these tests, I might work up the balls to do it.

So the fragmented files themselves aren't taking up 31GB? That's my issue - Not the performance loss (Which as you said, is none to a little) but the space they eat - If they do eat space.

They use a little more space but so little it makes no impact.. it just means that there are 31 GB of fragmented files, not that the fragmentation is causing more space to be used.

No, fragmented files don't take up more space. Windows is just telling you the amount of fragmentation so you know how long defragmenting might take :)

It isn't really bad for them. Unless you do it hundreds of times.

No, fragmented files don't take up more space. Windows is just telling you the amount of fragmentation so you know how long defragmenting might take :)

They use a little more space but so little it makes no impact.. it just means that there are 31 GB of fragmented files, not that the fragmentation is causing more space to be used.

Fair enough then - So I might as well not bother and save myself the risk of a packed up SSD?

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Basically the TLDR is, it will affect the life span.. But the life span (writes) is no-where near as short or performance impacting as anyone thought.

The first drive to "fail" was an Intel... but that was a software managed retirement.. at 700TB written..

It took them 9 months of constant writes to get there.. other drives did much better..

basically, you WILL replace your drive before it dies..

Especially if your not running a server or something on it with constant writes.

Hi there @Wickens!

You don't need and don't want to defrag a SSD because it wouldn't make your access faster, nor your speed, and it will decrease the lifespan of the drive. Since there's no physical movement in the SSD the defragging is just causing a significant number of writes for no reason, which decreases its lifespan as that is set by the number of writes per cell.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Basically the TLDR is, it will affect the life span.. But the life span (writes) is no-where near as short or performance impacting as anyone thought.

I actually sometimes  defrag SSDs for a few specific reasons, but by imagine it to another drive first, then back. Probably worse, but it allows me to say I don't defrag SSDs xD

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I actually sometimes  defrag SSDs for a few specific reasons, but by imagine it to another drive first, then back. Probably worse, but it allows me to say I don't defrag SSDs xD

You'd be better off de-fragging... Not that defragging affects it's performance.. used space however does affect performance, you want to keep it as low as possible.. but even then your looking at maybe 20% decreased performance from empty to 90% full.. it's not that much real-world impact.

You'd be better off de-fragging... Not that defragging affects it's performance.. used space however does affect performance, you want to keep it as low as possible.. but even then your looking at maybe 20% decreased performance from empty to 90% full.. it's not that much real-world impact.

It's more for moving partitions from larger drives onto smaller ones anyway. 

muh specs 

All parts black