how to master networking

omaroma11

Hello I know alot about computer hardware monitor audio etc but I wanted to learn more about networking I flashed mt router with tomato and I know about 1/10 of the stuff in the settings so how can I learn more is there a book you guys recommend a youtub channel a web site whatever it is tell me.

ty

I think networking is something like the black arts of computing. There just aren't as many open and helpful learning tools, since it's so hard to teach over something like a youtube video. Otherwise, it just gets dry. I basically learned my networking stuff from necessity.

Just kind of generally, I learned a lot from studying how to hack certain things (like my own router, nothing illegal :lol:). It helped with the technical know-how and just kind of introduced me to the language networking people use. So learn to hack your newly flashed router!

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

This guy has ALOT of videos about computer networking and how it works, great resources.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'll be honest with you, it'll take years (probably dozens of years actually) to properly understand all facets of networking.

BUT I can assure you that the more you'll get to know, the more you'll want to know. 

First off, start with the basics [this course is so awesome, I wonder why no one ever talks about it!].

Always learn the basic stuff and know it like you know your credit card PIN : by heart. This should become natural because it's going to be the foundations on which everything will be built on. It will be mainly theoretical [even borderline boring at times] but this is fundamental and will make a difference once you reach more advanced networking shenanigans. And don't bi*** about the OSI Model, it's really great !

Then, prepare to spend a few dollars and get this book. This is my bible of all things networking [it's a tad light on telecommunications but the computer networking part is AWESOME]. I have a 4th Edition copy and it's still relevant. You're probably going to keep it your entire life and you'll always end up going back to it. Take your time to read it, and don't bother reading it in order

At the same time, I suggest you study for [and get !] a basic certification like Cisco's CCENT [i believe it is to be replaced though and merged into CCNA], CompTIA Network+ or Juniper JNCIA-JunOS. This will give you a more hands-on approach and you will get into the nitty-gritty which is different from the theoretical stuff. You'll have to get your hands on books and/or videos for this and probably spend a few bucks on equipment. Speaking of which, I've heard great things about CBT Nuggets' videos. Keep practicing, and keep playing around with your equipment, you'll probably discover cool things you didn't even know exist.

Finally, when you get a better idea of all things networking, try to focus on the part that interests you the most. For example, I'm a switching and routing guy, but I have a lot of friends into Broadband and WAN and a few friends into signal treatment and degradation. Just do what you like and you'll enjoy doing it.

The key thing is, do it because you like it or you'll fail. I have former classmates which went into networking because they didn't know what to do and they properly hated it.

Keep your hands dirty and have fun !

If you need anything like resources and stuff, PM me, I'll see what I can do.

TL;DR : Learn the basics, get a cert, but most of all enjoy !

Depends on how much you want to learn.

Here are some of the things I have read, and I highly recommend them:
The first 4 Cisco Exploration courses. Network Fundamentals, Routing Protocols and Concepts, LAN Switching and Wireless and Accessing the WAN. Please note that the ones I have linked to are just demos. The real courses are about 10 chapters each.
Network Fundamentals explains the basics. What a router is. What a switch is. How is the OSI model built and what each layer is responsible for. What does an Ethernet frame contain. How subnetting works and so on.
Routing Protocols and Concepts is about the different routing protocols and how they work. It talks about RIP, RIPv2, OSPF as well as EIGRP. I don't think it talks about IS-IS that much but it's mentioned and the same goes for BGP. This book also explains the routing table and how it works. It also explains VLSM and CIDR which are very important things to fully understand and use if you want to design a network.
LAN switching and wireless is mostly about switching. It explains VLANs, VTP, STP and a tiny bit about wireless (it's just one chapter and it is very, very basic).
Accessing the WAN is about the different technologies that exist for connecting to a WAN. It talks about the God awful Frame Relay and things like PPP. It also talks about some basic security such as how to write ACLs, VPN and cryptography is also written about. Oh and it also brings up DHCP as well as NAT in some chapters.

That's for basic networking. If you want to learn about wireless networks then I recommend the CWNA book from David Coleman and David Westcott. It explains pretty much everything you need to know about wireless networks (at least everything you need to know as an admin).

For security I recommend CCNA Security course. It explains different threats to a network as well as how to prevent them. Also brings up more about ACL, how an ASA works, AAA and a few other things.

Saying that you want to learn about networking is like saying you want to learn about biology, or physics, or maths. It's too broad to just say "well go read this". If you read the things I have mentioned above then you should have learned most of the basic things about how a network works, how to design one, troubleshoot it and so on. Reading the Wikipedia articles I have linked is a very good start as well. Cisco Packet Tracer is fantastic if you want to mess around and explore the possibilities and the settings in routers and switches. It's a simulation so it doesn't matter if the router in the program stops working. The courses I have linked above also contains practical tests you can do in Packet Tracer.

I don't agree at all with what rustikles said. There are a ton of information you can read about on the Internet. If there is some specific option in your router settings that you don't know what it does, just Google it.

"Speaking of which, I've heard great things about CBT Nuggets' videos"

Jeremy Cioara is my Jesus!

Cisco's ICND1 book taught me a lot. Use PacketTracer for learning switches then use GNS3 for routing labs. Be careful, it is not that simple. Be sure that you can use it especially on your job (if you are thinking about Network Engineer route) because it might be painful to you if learned so much on this field then not use it on future, example you being a server admin, programmer or etc.

Everything I learned from my Network+ course during college can be applied on everyday use because I am the IT of our house, connecting devices, keeping wifi stable and talking ISP from application to troubleshooting. I self study using the book and tools I mentioned because it is required on my job.

Just remember, experience is the best teacher. Don't just read, do it, simulate it!

Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/danscourses

I think networking is something like the black arts of computing. 

I think virtualization is quite the black arts as of today. 

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

Saying I want to learn Networking is like saying I want to learn Physics.  There are so many offshoots of things to learn, so many different applications of it to learn.  Do you want to learn about Networking Security?  Switches and Colo?  How about MDF, IDF, and FDE design and installation?  

Start with what you are interested in.  Then go pick up free resources on what you are interested in learning.  I would highly recommend Professor Messer, then while you are at it go ahead and get your A+ and Networking + certs, followed by Security + and if you really want to move into Cisco do Cisco switch configuring.

It's a loaded question, so there is just a place you could start.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010

"Speaking of which, I've heard great things about CBT Nuggets' videos"

Jeremy Cioara is my Jesus!

Jeremy Cioara is one of the best teachers of the subject. Explains all concepts in very easy to understand terms. I would shy away from the official Cisco course work. It is boring to read and not easily understood. Check out the books by Wendell Odom. Much better imo.

what do you want to learn about networking dc or web servers or linux samba stuff or just thingies about routers and ip adresses? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Jeremy Cioara is one of the best teachers of the subject. Explains all concepts in very easy to understand terms. I would shy away from the official Cisco course work. It is boring to read and not easily understood. Check out the books by Wendell Odom. Much better imo.

I find it hard to believe that anyone (at least in their late teens) would find Cisco's courses hard to understand. They might be boring if you are not interested in learning, but the same can be said about basically anything.

I am pretty sure the books from Wendell Odom are the same as the courses I have linked as well, it's just that the courses contains things like packet tracer exercises.

I've heard lots of good things about the Cisco Nuggets so you might want to check that out OP. I haven't read/watched them though so I can't guarantee that they are good.

I find it hard to believe that anyone (at least in their late teens) would find Cisco's courses hard to understand. They might be boring if you are not interested in learning, but the same can be said about basically anything.

I am pretty sure the books from Wendell Odom are the same as the courses I have linked as well, it's just that the courses contains things like packet tracer exercises.

I've heard lots of good things about the Cisco Nuggets so you might want to check that out OP. I haven't read/watched them though so I can't guarantee that they are good.

I agree with him, Cisco's books are not that easy to understand. The explanation are quite not like lazy terms, like the approach of dummies books. Sorry for the english, I can't explain it enough, not my native language.

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

Have you read the actual CiscoPress books? They read like a technical manual, and they don't put emphasis on the more important aspects. If you're brand new to the concepts than they're not really the best thing to learn on unless you're just a glutton for punishment. Yes it can be done. I did it myself, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better alternatives. The packet tracer exercises can be had with a simple google search.

Have you read the actual CiscoPress books? They read like a technical manual, and they don't put emphasis on the more important aspects. If you're brand new to the concepts than they're not really the best thing to learn on unless you're just a glutton for punishment. Yes it can be done. I did it myself, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better alternatives. The packet tracer exercises can be had with a simple google search.

CiscoPress books? I haven't read any of those (unless you mean the configuration guides Cisco publishes for all their equipment and if it's those you mean then they read as technical manuals becuase they ARE technical manuals) but the sources I linked before shouldn't be hard to understand. They use a lots of real life examples such as comparing a PKI to a driver license. I think they do put emphasis on the important aspects, since they get entire chapters dedicated to them while the less important things doesn't get mention as much or frequent. They even start on the very, very basic level of "what is a router" and "what is a switch". They are made so that even someone with absolutely 0 knowledge can pick them up and get a CCNA cert.

You do have to read everything in them though. If you try to skip pages because they look boring, or because you find that specific section boring, then yes then it will probably be hard to follow and understand.

Example of their comparisons:

post-216-0-50379600-1374836577_thumb.png

Edit: Didn't know the files were compressed when uploaded here. Hopefully you get the point without having to read the text.

CiscoPress books?

Yeah I was just talking about the books that are Cisco's "official" books published by Pearson. The Cisco Networking Academy is a whole different beast and is actually pretty good.