So.. I need a new AV receiver

RayhanAli

The HDMI board on my Onkyo TX- SR 608 died. I went to a store to check how much it would cost to replace it, they said it would cost me £200 to fix it! 

I have finally decided to buy a new AV receiver all together, I had my eye on the Yamaha RX-V579 I wanted to make sure I made the right decision as I was paying so much anyway. I just want to get the best for my money. I have a 7.1 Speaker setup and currently have a  1080p TV, It would be nice if i could get a 4K 60hz 3D compatible Receiver as I am planning on getting a 4K TV soon. 

What do you guys think, Should I go for another receiver or should I buy the Yamaha? 

Thanks,

Rayhan  :)

The Yamaha's are good but i have not found an AV receiver that replaces the Onkyo even though i had a 616 with the buggy firmware and i got a Yamaha Yamaha RX-V673 free and gave my 616 away which was a mistake. 

Yamaha PROs and CONs...

PROs

1. powerful clear sound reproduction especially highs and mids
  2. easy to use and setup
  3. many connection terminals
  4. best "bang for your buck" other than the Onkyos

CONs

1. Presets can't be manipulated
  2. tiresome manual configuration of surround levels but when you have gotten what you want it sounds great
  3. they don't look as good as the Onkyos
  4. Not THX, if you like that kind of thing, i do.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

The HDMI board on my Onkyo TX- SR 608 died. I went to a store to check how much it would cost to replace it, they said it would cost me £200 to fix it! 

I have finally decided to buy a new AV receiver all together, I had my eye on the Yamaha RX-V579 I wanted to make sure I made the right decision as I was paying so much anyway. I just want to get the best for my money. I have a 7.1 Speaker setup and currently have a  1080p TV, It would be nice if i could get a 4K 60hz 3D compatible Receiver as I am planning on getting a 4K TV soon. 

What do you guys think, Should I go for another receiver or should I buy the Yamaha? 

Thanks,

Rayhan  :)

I actually don't think you will be missing much by going with the Yamaha over your previous Onkyo. I use an RX-V477 for my 5.1 and it's pretty amazing. The RX-V579 literally just released like last week for retail, so I'm not sure where you would go to find one in stock today. The other negative is that it has a single HDCP2.2 input, which is definitely not "future proofed" by any means for 4k content.

The previous version of the RX-V579 is the RX-V577, which is almost the same unit but considerably cheaper and very easy to find without HDCP2.2. Then you can upgrade your receiver along with your new TV when HDCP2.2 isn't so expensive.

HDCP2.2 is still pretty new and you're going to pay through the nose for it right now. Yamaha's RX-V779 has three HDCP2.2 inputs.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/

Wanna give me your old one? Mine doesn't even have optical :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Wanna give me your old one? Mine doesn't even have optical :)

maybe!  ;)

I actually don't think you will be missing much by going with the Yamaha over your previous Onkyo. I use an RX-V477 for my 5.1 and it's pretty amazing. The RX-V579 literally just released like last week for retail, so I'm not sure where you would go to find one in stock today. The other negative is that it has a single HDCP2.2 input, which is definitely not "future proofed" by any means for 4k content.

The previous version of the RX-V579 is the RX-V577, which is almost the same unit but considerably cheaper and very easy to find without HDCP2.2. Then you can upgrade your receiver along with your new TV when HDCP2.2 isn't so expensive.

HDCP2.2 is still pretty new and you're going to pay through the nose for it right now. Yamaha's RX-V779 has three HDCP2.2 inputs.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/

Woah! The RX-V 779 is actually really good and not for too much more than the 579! I think that is what I will buy unless if I find anything better. 

The Yamaha's are good but i have not found an AV receiver that replaces the Onkyo even though i had a 616 with the buggy firmware and i got a Yamaha Yamaha RX-V673 free and gave my 616 away which was a mistake. 

Yamaha PROs and CONs...

PROs

1. powerful clear sound reproduction especially highs and mids
  2. easy to use and setup
  3. many connection terminals
  4. best "bang for your buck" other than the Onkyos

CONs

1. Presets can't be manipulated
  2. tiresome manual configuration of surround levels but when you have gotten what you want it sounds great
  3. they don't look as good as the Onkyos
  4. Not THX, if you like that kind of thing, i do.

Thanks for the post!

I think i am going to go for the RX-V 779 as it is very good! The cons arent really too big of a deal to me, well they do matter but they arent dealbreakers! Thanks for the advice tho! :)

Thanks for the post!

I think i am going to go for the RX-V 779 as it is very good! The cons arent really too big of a deal to me, well they do matter but they arent dealbreakers! Thanks for the advice tho! :)

Congrats in advance! The better calibration/EQ system and the heftier amp power supply should help. :)