[Hardware question] Considering Surface Pro 3 for certain uses

My so-called certain usage is mobile, of course, working with graphics tools such as; Maya, ZBrush, and photoshop. What I do is modeling, texturing, and sometimes painting.
I have a pretty solid desktop set up thanks to you ppl of LTT, and now I need a mobile platform to keep working on the go. With Windows 10 and SP4 launching along with it(most popular speculation, but w/e) I've fell into a dilemma, and I need your advice big time.

What I've researched so far fit to my needs were SP3, Cintiq Companion2, and some other none tablet laptops.

My budget allows me to get a full spec SP3, about 2K, but not full spec CC2 besides how beefy and less mobile CC2 is, but both have some heat issues when running the programs in my needs.
Other laptops are nice, but I do need some precision touch pen for drawing/texturing/sculpting(ZBrush).

The other reason I was hesitant to this point for this purchase was a hope for SP3 upgrade when SP4 launches, or SP4 itself being better in performance for my needs. Yet, from what I've learned so far SP4 will likely to have all the other better things but slightly less powerful computing power.

Could I have your go-sign for this purchase?
Speculations or advice from experience are both very grateful.

Cheers.

I'd say you'd want a workstation laptop like this one from MSI. The SP3 is not very powerful and will definitely not be optimal for workstation use.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I never touched SP3 or any other Surface and everything my opinion is based on is just from what I heard/read.

(I know nothing about CC2).

Suposedtly the SP3 has really nice touch display that works with pen really well so it should be really good for your use if you plan to draw on it a lot. You can probably get a lot better tablet for drawing at this price point but it certainly will be only dedicated device and not all in one as the SP3 is so I would say it is good idea to go for the SP3 and you dont necessarily need the most powerfull version if you dont plan to do rendering. I think that even i3/i5 version should suffice you and the storage should be more what you want more of.

I'd say you'd want a workstation laptop like this one from MSI. The SP3 is not very powerful and will definitely not be optimal for workstation use.

Thanks for suggesting, but I do need a nicer pen input device for painting and sculpting :(

Thanks for suggesting, but I do need a nicer pen input device for painting and sculpting :(

Wacom tablet?

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Wacom tablet?

I do have Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid. I'm liking what I can do with it, but I figured later year of use I'd like to have a full desktop application capabilities for mobile usage. Besides, Wacom's mobile devices are nice, but really not a pleasant user experience on the go cuz of size(which is nice at the same time) and weight.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I never touched SP3 or any other Surface and everything my opinion is based on is just from what I heard/read.

(I know nothing about CC2).

Suposedtly the SP3 has really nice touch display that works with pen really well so it should be really good for your use if you plan to draw on it a lot. You can probably get a lot better tablet for drawing at this price point but it certainly will be only dedicated device and not all in one as the SP3 is so I would say it is good idea to go for the SP3 and you dont necessarily need the most powerfull version if you dont plan to do rendering. I think that even i3/i5 version should suffice you and the storage should be more what you want more of.

That's right. I don't intend to render on such piece of machine, but budget kinda allows me I can go ham on spec. From what's out there do you think I should better wait for SP4 tho?

That's right. I don't intend to render on such piece of machine, but budget kinda allows me I can go ham on spec. From what's out there do you think I should better wait for SP4 tho?

SP4 is rumor, isn't it? If I were you, I'd wait or buy a massive and heavy laptop, but judging by your other posts, thin and light with a stylus is your preferred option. Also, consider the I/O of the Surface. It doesn't have as many ports as I personally would like, but you know what you need.

I know nothing about SP4 (specs or relase date) so I cant tell. In theory it should be better than SP3 so if you can wait then wait for SP4 but if it will relase next year... dont bother waiting.

SP4 is rumor, isn't it? If I were you, I'd wait or buy a massive and heavy laptop, but judging by your other posts, thin and light with a stylus is your preferred option. Also, consider the I/O of the Surface. It doesn't have as many ports as I personally would like, but you know what you need.

I've learned from various news sources of confirming that rumor of SP4 comming, and it'd have Less heat generating but less computing power cpu to go fan less. and it should be announced / launched with Windows 10 on 29th of July.

I, again, appreciate your suggestion on a heavier duty platform, but my desktop spec is Linus' 4k gaming spec, so I don't need extra I/O machine

I know nothing about SP4 (specs or relase date) so I cant tell. In theory it should be better than SP3 so if you can wait then wait for SP4 but if it will relase next year... dont bother waiting.

good point on the timing, and I was so tempted to hit my local store tomorrow because it's on discount atm. but rumors have frightened me :( I hope SP3 won't be spec-up when SP4 launches.

Does Microsoft often do that anyways? launching a new line and upgrading the older one?

good point on the timing, and I was so tempted to hit my local store tomorrow because it's on discount atm. but rumors have frightened me :( I hope SP3 won't be spec-up when SP4 launches.

Does Microsoft often do that anyways? launching a new line and upgrading the older one?

I think it would be prety dumb from MS to relase SP4 and it would have lower specs over SP3... what would be the selling point of it?

We already seen that SP3 is a big step further over SP2.

I think it would be prety dumb from MS to relase SP4 and it would have lower specs over SP3... what would be the selling point of it?

We already seen that SP3 is a big step further over SP2.

The speculations tell that SP in future seem to be aiming for slightly less laptop is but slightly more tablet as its goal user experience. Rumors indeed are only rumors, but that kinda made sense to me since SP 3 atm IS suffering some heat generating issues. Going fan less man.

The speculations tell that SP in future seem to be aiming for slightly less laptop is but slightly more tablet as its goal user experience. Rumors indeed are only rumors, but that kinda made sense to me since SP 3 atm IS suffering some heat generating issues. Going fan less man.

let me correct myself on SP4's speculation. It's told 'not less powerful than SP3, but it will have Broadwell line CPU from Haswell' that SP3 currently has. Now, Broadwell CPU can be more powerful if said so, but also going fanless along with it wold have chance to affect computing performance is what I've been believing so far.

• 3 weeks later...

did you nkow that the surface pen is NOT magnetic!!!