CPU damaged due to high temperatures?

You can RMA the CPU if you do think its been damage from heat.

If it was damaged while using a after market cooler then Intel can be fussy. However if you used the stock cooler, and stock settings then you can RMA.

Use CPU-Z to see if it throttles, or some other program.

I can't see the CPU still working "properly" if its degraded / damaged.

Sure you don't have a memory leak?

I would be happy to RMA if needed. 

Also, how would I see on CPU-z if its throttling?

I'm not sure what a memory leak is or how I'd know if I have one. =/

I would be happy to RMA if needed. 

Also, how would I see on CPU-z if its throttling?

I'm not sure what a memory leak is or how I'd know if I have one. =/

Strees test it and watch the clock in CPU-Z.  Monitor temps too, just in case.

Aida64 will do:  http://www.aida64.com/downloads

or, Intel Burn Test:  http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.html

or, Prime 95...

This is not to run the stressed CPU for hours... just long enough to see if it dips in performance... maybe 2-5 minutes.

It was a shot in the dark... trying the simplest things first.

You can run a simple stress test (CPU at 100%) and monitor the clock and temps.  If it is running at 100% clock during the whole test, then it is definitely not the CPU that is causing the performance issue.

@HayZ

I've already done multiple stress tests and temperatures stay at around 75-80oC. Nothing out of the ordinary really. I'll do some more tomorrow I guess for longer and see what happens

Maybe your cooler isnt mounted properly. Try remounting it and making sure there is adequate thermal compound there to transfer the heat. If that doesnt work you can also look up DELIDDING CPUS, every CPU after sandybridge intel has put a thermal paste instead of sodder. That really kicks the heat up on some CPUs

I've already done multiple stress tests and temperatures stay at around 75-80oC. Nothing out of the ordinary really. I'll do some more tomorrow I guess for longer and see what happens

Well, if your clock speed is fine during the stress test (and there is no crashing), then it is not your CPU that is causing your problems.

Maybe your cooler isnt mounted properly. Try remounting it and making sure there is adequate thermal compound there to transfer the heat. If that doesnt work you can also look up DELIDDING CPUS, every CPU after sandybridge intel has put a thermal paste instead of sodder. That really kicks the heat up on some CPUs

I actually checked today and re-installed it to make sure. I had a bit too much thermal paste so I cleaned it and reapplied with a pea size and its still the same..

Not really sure if I'd want to De-lid my CPU. Seems like it helps with temperatures or something but thats not the problem now.

I actually checked today and re-installed it to make sure. I had a bit too much thermal paste so I cleaned it and reapplied with a pea size and its still the same..

Not really sure if I'd want to De-lid my CPU. Seems like it helps with temperatures or something but thats not the problem now.

I wouldn't bother, that was mainly an issue with the 4670-4770k cpus, the haswell refresh cpus 4690-4790k are a lot more power efficient which in turn makes them more heat efficient.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Well, if your clock speed is fine during the stress test (and there is no crashing), then it is not your CPU that is causing your problems.

Hmm, I honestly don't know what else... I'm really hope its not my CPU.

Temps don't mean anything.

You can be throttling to 2Ghz and stay at 80C. As it was the throttle that allowed it to get to 80C, rather that 99C @ 4.4Ghz (random numbers being used)

CPU at the bottom left will show you your clock speed. Do your normal tasks in windowed mode. Leave CPU minimised as you will then be able to see clock speeds in the task bar.

A memory leak is when the program is not deleting old data from ram. So it uses new ram and leaves the old data sitting there. Is slowly eats away all your ram.

So you know if you have a memory leak if you see the amount of memory being used by a program constantly go up.

It could take 5 minutes to begin, or 5 hours.

Also, do NOT delid a 4790k. Were they not soldered? 

It's not a race to the bottom.

Temps don't mean anything.

You can be throttling to 2Ghz and stay at 80C. As it was the throttle that allowed it to get to 80C, rather that 99C @ 4.4Ghz (random numbers being used)

CPU at the bottom left will show you your clock speed. Do your normal tasks in windowed mode. Leave CPU minimised as you will then be able to see clock speeds in the task bar.

A memory leak is when the program is not deleting old data from ram. So it uses new ram and leaves the old data sitting there. Is slowly eats away all your ram.

So you know if you have a memory leak if you see the amount of memory being used by a program constantly go up.

It could take 5 minutes to begin, or 5 hours.

Also, do NOT delid a 4790k. Were they not soldered? 

I haven't Delidded anything, don't worry. 

Also, where can i see the memory of a certain program? And what would be a good program to test it on?

I haven't Delidded anything, don't worry. 

Also, where can i see the memory of a certain program? And what would be a good program to test it on?

Thermals are fine on the i7 4790K... That is one of the improvements made to the Haswell Refresh (Devil's Canyon) CPUs.  It is why they are clocked higher than the Haswell CPUs.

Heat degradation can be an issue on certain CPUs, with them requiring more voltage to run at the same level of stability over time. However, Haswell CPUs are relatively resistent to this and while definitely on the warm side, 90C isn't enough to cause cause serious issues over this time period. I'd expect that what you're experiencing is some kind of software issue. For monitoring resource usage I'd recommend simply using Task Manager, or maybe NZXT's CAM. 

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

I don't think it's actually possible to damage a processor through high temperatures alone. I'd look at whatever storage device you have or perhaps faulty drivers.

Scary CPU Story Time:

About 5 years ago, back when I was building my first computer, I was incredibly impatient and was assembling everything a little bit at a time as I could afford parts. It turns out the last part I ordered was my heatsink, and it wasn't due to arrive for about a week. Everything else was put together and it just so happened I got my hands on a newly released copy of Portal 2. In my infinite wisdom, you can easily guess what I decided to do. Not only did I boot up my computer and install Windows with no heatsink, I played through the entire campaign of Portal 2 with it in that state. Every 10 minutes or so I would pause the game and use my IR thermometer to monitor the temperatures, and I can't believe the thing didn't explode. At some points it got so hot the thermometer couldn't even read the temperature. It survived an entire weekend of that torture and now, 5 years later it still runs perfectly. Trust me when I say heat will not kill these things, it's just not physically possible.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Windows task manger will show you. Sort it by memory used.

It's not a race to the bottom.

I don't think it's actually possible to damage a processor through high temperatures alone. I'd look at whatever storage device you have or perhaps faulty drivers.

Scary CPU Story Time:

About 5 years ago, back when I was building my first computer, I was incredibly impatient and was assembling everything a little bit at a time as I could afford parts. It turns out the last part I ordered was my heatsink, and it wasn't due to arrive for about a week. Everything else was put together and it just so happened I got my hands on a newly released copy of Portal 2. In my infinite wisdom, you can easily guess what I decided to do. Not only did I boot up my computer and install Windows with no heatsink, I played through the entire campaign of Portal 2 with it in that state. Every 10 minutes or so I would pause the game and use my IR thermometer to monitor the temperatures, and I can't believe the thing didn't explode. At some points it got so hot the thermometer couldn't even read the temperature. It survived an entire weekend of that torture and now, 5 years later it still runs perfectly. Trust me when I say heat will not kill these things, it's just not physically possible.

Ok, so if not the CPU.. how would I test drivers or storage devices for any problems? =/ I don't usually get problems, so testing these kinda things gets a bit confusing for me.

Ok, so if not the CPU.. how would I test drivers or storage devices for any problems? =/ I don't usually get problems, so testing these kinda things gets a bit confusing for me.

Have you stressed you GPU?  To check temps?  Your problem is a FPS issue, right?

I have to ask, is your GPU dusty?

It is not your RAM.  Bad RAM will crash your system, not cause a drop in a game's FPS.

A loss of performance like that sounds like a heat issue (dust does this), or the most likely scenario... software.

How old is your Hard Drive?  SSD?  Run a test on them... not really sure but Crystal Disk, I think, tests drive speed.  I have never used it.

Where an i7 4690k can die is when you put too much voltage onto it for say like 1.8V when you shouldn't.

Your CPU isn't dead, it's probably just bottlenecked by something in your PC. So it's not dead, replacing coolers isn't what kills a CPU.

And if your CPU stayed 90C along time it doesn't matter, you would've noticed it before as it would've unclocked itself and recalibrate its Voltage as I believe your voltage control is on Auto ..

Which comes to another point it's 1.2V so it's not worst. CPU Dying = Crashes, BSOD, whatever .. you know.

It could really be your GPU to be honest or Hard Drive. or Windows itself.

But I believe whenever you're gaming alone, not streaming you're not having issues, now do you? Uhuh, now lets assume it's Software issues for now, ok?

P.S. What I recommend is run MSI Afterburner On-Screen-Display method of FPS + GPU Usage + GPU Clock ratio + GPU Temps..

and then install HWInfo , run a CPU all cores temps check, total CPU usage and CPU Clock ratio ON SCREEN DISPLAY.

and send us some SSs .. yeah? when you're streaming.. and when you're not.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Have you stressed you GPU?  To check temps?  Your problem is a FPS issue, right?

I have to ask, is your GPU dusty?

It is not your RAM.  Bad RAM will crash your system, not cause a drop in a game's FPS.

A loss of performance like that sounds like a heat issue (dust does this), or the most likely scenario... software.

How old is your Hard Drive?  SSD?  Run a test on them... not really sure but Crystal Disk, I think, tests drive speed.  I have never used it.

Its not so much an FPS issue. Yes, FPS is affected but the whole PC performance is affected too. 

Would it be smart to just format all drives and reinstall windows? 

Meanwhile, I shall run a stress test on my CPU and GPU together and see what happens..

Where an i7 4690k can die is when you put too much voltage onto it for say like 1.8V when you shouldn't.

Your CPU isn't dead, it's probably just bottlenecked by something in your PC. So it's not dead, replacing coolers isn't what kills a CPU.

And if your CPU stayed 90C along time it doesn't matter, you would've noticed it before as it would've unclocked itself and recalibrate its Voltage as I believe your voltage control is on Auto ..

Which comes to another point it's 1.2V so it's not worst. CPU Dying = Crashes, BSOD, whatever .. you know.

It could really be your GPU to be honest or Hard Drive. or Windows itself.

But I believe whenever you're gaming alone, not streaming you're not having issues, now do you? Uhuh, now lets assume it's Software issues for now, ok?

P.S. What I recommend is run MSI Afterburner On-Screen-Display method of FPS + GPU Usage + GPU Clock ratio + GPU Temps..

and then install HWInfo , run a CPU all cores temps check, total CPU usage and CPU Clock ratio ON SCREEN DISPLAY.

and send us some SSs .. yeah? when you're streaming.. and when you're not.

Thing is, I'm not sure if it happens whilst not streaming because I never play for long enough when not streaming for it to cause a problem. 

Might have to try it though..

Its not so much an FPS issue. Yes, FPS is affected but the whole PC performance is affected too. 

Would it be smart to just format all drives and reinstall windows? 

Meanwhile, I shall run a stress test on my CPU and GPU together and see what happens..

I tend to do this when I am mildly frustrated with something I can't pinpoint... It eliminates software issues.

I tend to do this when I am mildly frustrated with something I can't pinpoint... It eliminates software issues.

http://imgur.com/a/zJFBK

^This is a link to images of a stress test i just did on my GPU and CPU at ~%100 usage.

GPU Temp stopped at ~80o

everything seemed pretty normal from what I could see. 

Might just have to format and reinstall windows..

http://imgur.com/a/zJFBK

^This is a link to images of a stress test i just did on my GPU and CPU at ~%100 usage.

GPU Temp stopped at ~80o

everything seemed pretty normal from what I could see. 

Might just have to format and reinstall windows..

On that stress test you're hitting 96°C which is NOT normal and means you're likely thermal throttling, which shouldn't happen with your cooler. Something is wrong, and 99 times out of 100, it's how you've installed the cooler.

On that stress test you're hitting 96°C which is NOT normal and means you're likely thermal throttling, which shouldn't happen with your cooler. Something is wrong, and 99 times out of 100, it's how you've installed the cooler.

Its OC'ed to around 4.4GHz.

At default settings I was getting around 70-80oC

Maybe I need to underclock? Not sure =/

I've installed it twice already. 

Used a pea size dollop of paste too

Followed the handbook on how to set it up too, not sure what could have gone wrong.

I've installed it twice already. 

Used a pea size dollop of paste too

Followed the handbook on how to set it up too, not sure what could have gone wrong.

Go back to stock speed.

Your max CPU temps:  94, 94, 96, 96... nobody wants this kind of max temp.  :)   Even the 80 degree GPU is too much for me, but is safe.  What kind of case do you have and you fan configuration?

For the CPU, what are your idle temps?  They should be under 40-45 (you might live in a hot climate).  AiO pumps sometimes fail... it happens.  Monitor the pump speed with something like Speedfan.  Make sure it is steady, it should not fluctuate.