How many GHz do i need for gaming?

I will soon buy a new computer that I will drive heavy CPU / GPU load that takes advantage of hyper threding.

I will be gaming on it so I would prefer to avoid getting to buy a CPU that is too slow.

So: How many GHz do in Need for gaming?

GHZ isn't a great measurement.. not all are equal.

Whats your budget and usage?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Well, the fastest hyper-threaded CPU is the 4790K, but, despite lacking hyperthreading, the 4690K is the sweet-spot for gaming atm as it is just as fast if not faster (it produces a little less heat so you can get similar temps with better OCs)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

GHZ isn't a great measurement.. not all are equal.

Whats your budget and usage?

i'm looking for a 2011-3 i7 or Xeon, and my budget is around 1,000 USD for one CPU, I will run dual CPU.

i'm looking for a 2011-3 i7 or Xeon, and my budget is around 1,000 USD for one CPU, I will run dual CPU.

Dual CPU for gaming?.........

save that money for a rainy day, a single 4690K (~$220), 4790K (~$330), or 5820K (~$380) will have you sorted,

and if you really must spend all $1000 take a look at the 5960X

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

xeons will probably perform worse in games than a i5 or i7 because games dont usually use more than 4 cores

Other than gaming, what are your specific uses?

You'd probably be better served with a med build i5 and a secondary rendering rig or similar if your thinking dual cpu 6 / 8 / 10 cores.

I'll use the cookie-cutter answer and say "Just get a 4690K and be done". Honestly, anything more solely for gaming is not necessary.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

89Ghz

I am from the future

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

-snip-

Instructions per cycle and I have never heard anyone say that there skuller be a problem on a 2011-3 CPU. Then I'm looking for an estimate of what you would need for a more CPU-intensive games not anvender multiple threads.

As others have said, gigahertz isn't the best measuring stick. Its only really useful when comparing within the same product family and the same architecture (ex. i5 and haswell). You can make some comparison from i3-i5, but its only really useful for single threaded games. Not sure if I was clear or said what I intended.

With that said, lets say 3.1ghz is a starting point, and I (personally) would recommend an i5.

ive you go dual CPU you cant ise i7s, those dont support it, youre limited to xeons, so just get the most expensive 2011-v3 xeon under 1000$ and done.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

3.2ghz intel or 6.0ghz AMD...your pick.

Seriously, a good intel quad-core is all you need, an i5-4460 for example will drive any games out there at more than acceptable framerates for the foreseable future.

Pair that with a cheap H97 motherboard, 8Gb of RAM (again...cheap) and then the best GPU you can afford with the rest and you're set.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

save that money for a rainy day, a single 4690K (~$220), 4790K (~$330), or 5820K (~$380) will have you sorted,

and if you really must spend all $1000 take a look at the 5960X

Other than gaming, what are your specific uses?

You'd probably be better served with a med build i5 and a secondary rendering rig or similar if your thinking dual cpu 6 / 8 / 10 cores.

I think it would be better with a Xeon CPU because it is not a gaming machine that I'm going to build.
I also think that you should look for an i5 or i7 if it is so that one should use it to play games on.

I will primarily use the CPU to work with 3D modding panels and 3D scenes. The data that the CPU will calculate can be up to more than 8GB so I will not build the computer to play games. I will also buy at least one 980ti or TitanX, (I'm most intreserad of TitanX because I'm not sure if 6GB is enough,) so the only reason I wonder how many GHz I need to play is because I do not want to pay 250 USD for a computer that will be just as "capable" to play on.

Well basically any of the CPU's in that price-range will work for gaming.. Higher mhz the better.. but thats true for your work too.

I would think anything over 3.0Ghz is good(near being ok), closer to 4 is better.

How many GHz do in Need for gaming?

it is not a gaming machine that I'm going to build.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

I think it would be better with a Xeon CPU because it is not a gaming machine that I'm going to build.
I also think that you should look for an i5 or i7 if it is so that one should use it to play games on.

I will primarily use the CPU to work with 3D modding panels and 3D scenes. The data that the CPU will calculate can be up to more than 8GB so I will not build the computer to play games. I will also buy at least one 980ti or TitanX, (I'm most intreserad of TitanX because I'm not sure if 6GB is enough,) so the only reason I wonder how many GHz I need to play is because I do not want to pay 250 USD for a computer that will be just as "capable" to play on.

Wtf the thread title and first post is asking about gaming and all of a sudden you're doing 3D Rendering and Advanced Calculations that you think you will need a Titan X for. The hell?

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

-snip-

I know you are not just gaming but lets assume this is a gaming computer.

90% of games only use less than 4 cores. Even recent games only rely on quad cores since there are still so much headroom on quad cores that 8 cores is still out of the picture. And games prefer single-threaded performance over multiple cores because it wants to dump the load on GPU, not spread it across the CPU. If you look at a 5960X and a 4770K there are hardly any difference in performance since the 5960X is an octo core but the game only uses four of its core so it couldn't pull away from a 4770K in gaming.

Windows 10 actually decreases CPU usage and puts more load on GPU instead. So if anything the future of gaming is about utiilising the CPU less.

Consoles has 8 cores but only because they are really weak so it needs the extra cores to compensate for that. And smaller games such as by indie devs have no control over their third-party game engine, more than likely that game engine is designed for quad cores in mind and they don't have time to optimise so it will just brute force using only one or two cores.

Also instead of a Titan X, get a Quadro + GTX GPU instead if you are "not just gaming".

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Wtf the thread title and first post is asking about gaming and all of a sudden you're doing 3D Rendering and Advanced Calculations that you think you will need a Titan X for. The hell?

Read the first post.. It's a workstation that he wants to be sure he can game on.. probably trying to chose between different processors at his price point that will trade cores for speed.

I will soon buy a new computer that I will drive heavy CPU / GPU load that takes advantage of hyper threding.
I will be gaming on it so I would prefer to avoid getting to buy a CPU that is too slow.