Which Component Is Failing?

ddswh1pk0s

Hey guys I am having an issue at the moment with random shutdowns. More info here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386983-follow-up-computer-powers-off-randomly/

However, I am not sure which component is failing so I know which one to return. If I run a game, then the shutdowns happen, but this is because the PSU and GPU are under heavy load. If my PC is just idling, then the shutdowns don't happen.

Since I've taken my graphics card out no more shutdowns have occurred because my PSU doesn't have to supply power to my GPU. Or maybe my GPU is causing the shutdowns and now that it's gone my PC will be fine?

I'm not sure which one is failing, is there anyway I can stress test my PSU without the GPU in it to see if it fails?

My GPU isn't producing any artifacts or any other graphical issues before or after the shutdowns occur, so that leads me to believe that the GPU may not be the problem.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys I am having an issue at the moment with random shutdowns. More info here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386983-follow-up-computer-powers-off-randomly/

However, I am not sure which component is failing so I know which one to return. If I run a game, then the shutdowns happen, but this is because the PSU and GPU are under heavy load. If my PC is just idling, then the shutdowns don't happen.

Since I've taken my graphics card out no more shutdowns have occurred because my PSU doesn't have to supply power to my GPU. Or maybe my GPU is causing the shutdowns and now that it's gone my PC will be fine?

I'm not sure which one is failing, is there anyway I can stress test my PSU without the GPU in it to see if it fails?

My GPU isn't producing any artifacts or any other graphical issues before or after the shutdowns occur, so that leads me to believe that the GPU may not be the problem.

Thanks in advance

I would say the PSU is being taxed a little too much, since you also have two HDDs, as well as a slightly power hungry CPU.

All in all, I would say a 650 or 750 watt PSU may be more reliable. Also, good job on the eVGA in your signature, nice to see people being proper.

Situations like this are why I would advocate keeping spare hardware on hand instead of immediately selling them. Of course, if that is simply not feasible then there is nothing that can be done.

Do you have an spare hardware whatsoever? If I were faced with this situation, the power supply would be the first thing I swap.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The power supply is most likely the issue if temps are in check.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you're O/Cing, that 550W is way too weak. It's a good psu, just over its head. I would recommend either 750W or 850W and make sure it's a good one. Gold, minimum. EVGA G2 or GS is the way I'd go.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

I'm not OCing anything. I've had my system for over 6 months, I think I would know if 550W was not enough by now.  Also, when I was planning my build I put a 750W PSU and then people were having a fit that 750W was way too overkill unless I was doing SLI

rough over exaggerated numbers:

CPU: 150W

GPU: 200W

HDD1: 10W

HDD2 10W

Fan1: 20W

Fan2 20W

Total = 410W, and those numbers were very exaggerated.