A moment of silence for a dead SSD!

brownninja97

Well its a shame, some guy came to me today crying, yes crying saying that his SSD isnt working after he defragged it. I tried to not laugh, anyways can the SSD be recovered or is it a gonna. o intel 520 120gb

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Haha! Defragged an SSD lol.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Wow such a fail. I would have laughed in his face

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Wow such a fail. I would have laughed in his face

god im running a small business here, i cat just go HAHAH in the guy's face, he says the ssd only has windows so ill buy another ssd and put windows on it. furthermore he says it brand new, why the hell do you defrag a new system. his parents looked like they were gonna slap the shit out of him. hes got a weird system, a gtx 780 in a Cit vantage case.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

good news for him is his windows 7 can be reused but im gonna charge him as if i brought it again. lol.

Listen if you care.

RIP

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Wow, how old was he?

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Lol a moment of silence! (cause it's an ssd)

But really, I'm glad I haven't defragged an ssd out of sheer curiosity. I haven't even manually written to my ssd in months and I use my computer many hours every day ._.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Considering he defragged the SSD like an idiot would...

https://www.youtbe.com/wat=ch?v=WbIMLzei7Q&list

everyone in there lifetime does something stupid, i remember when i rushed the java installing, bloody toolbars man. well that happens when you are tired, just got destroyed in a game so angry as well and then bam bloody babylon toolbar shows up.

Listen if you care.

everyone in there lifetime does something stupid, i remember when i rushed the java installing, bloody toolbars man. well that happens when you are tired, just got destroyed in a game so angry as well and then bam bloody babylon toolbar shows up.

He gets no sympathy from me. Heck if he installed defraggler like any person should because disk defrag is crap, he would know that it warns you not to defrag an SSD.

good news for him is his windows 7 can be reused but im gonna charge him as if i brought it again. lol.

Should we be happy for you? There is nothing commendable about taking advantage of someone.

Should we be happy for you? There is nothing commendable about taking advantage of someone.

Im a dick, but so is the human race. One thing to know in life is that some people will do things that you dont like but you have to accept that. He is extremely lucky that he got his windows recovered and anyways he will pay £50 as i get windows in packs of three(stupid windows thing) but then there is labour costs. If you hire someone then are highly likely to rip you off somewhere along the line. welcome to the free lancer business

Listen if you care.

Im a dick, but so is the human race. One thing to know in life is that some people will do things that you dont like but you have to accept that. He is extremely lucky that he got his windows recovered and anyways he will pay £50 as i get windows in packs of three(stupid windows thing) but then there is labour costs. If you hire someone then are highly likely to rip you off somewhere along the line. welcome to the free lancer business

On the one hand, if you don't rip him off, you don't stay in business because you aren't making money. On the other, if you do rip him off, you don't stay in business because you can't keep customers. Now, I say that and it sounds like I'm against you, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't run a business so I don't really know.

Ok, it take it you don´t have to defrag an SSD, anyone care to explain the tecnical reason??

I understand that defraging an SSD has no benifit. I also understand that multiple unnecessary reads/writes wear out an SSD, shortening it's life span. What I don't understand is, why does it completely kill it?

Ok, it take it you don´t have to defrag an SSD, anyone care to explain the tecnical reason??

as far as I know an ssd wil get the info no matter where it is on the drive just as fast, no idea why defrag kills ssd's though.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

god im running a small business here, i cat just go HAHAH in the guy's face, he says the ssd only has windows so ill buy another ssd and put windows on it. furthermore he says it brand new, why the hell do you defrag a new system. his parents looked like they were gonna slap the shit out of him. hes got a weird system, a gtx 780 in a Cit vantage case.

Well if its a new drive then its covered under warrantee, other than losing his OS and some files I don't see what the whole piling on is all about, like you said its some kid and from all the threads around here seems to be a future member of LTT :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Well if its a new drive then its covered under warrantee, other than losing his OS and some files I don't see what the whole piling on is all about, like you said its some kid and from all the threads around here seems to be a future member of LTT :lol:

intel refused to cover it from warrenty as he was warned to not defrag his ssd on the software he used, i cant remember which software it was but i hadnt heard of it.

Listen if you care.

intel refused to cover it from warrenty as he was warned to not defrag his ssd on the software he used, i cant remember which software it was but i hadnt heard of it.

How would Intel even know he was defraging? Sounds like somebody gave Intel TMI, as far as Intel is concerned the drive died (period) no other info was needed. Why do people list out their life story when trying to say a product was broken/died to the company? Its should be it died or is not working, whats my RMA number and what's the address to send it back to (period).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

How would Intel even know he was defraging? Sounds like somebody gave Intel TMI, as far as Intel is concerned the drive died (period) no other info was needed. Why do people list out their life story when trying to say a product was broken/died to the company? Its should be it died or is not working, whats my RMA number and what's the address to send it back to (period).

From what we have found out so far i dont think hes much of a bright spark but its quite a laugh but it did make my day.

Listen if you care.

lol it's funny to me reading these comments cuz im completely clueless what "defragging an SSD" mean, but ok. Just slap him or something.

Can someone please come here and tell us why you shouldn't defrag an SSD??

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb