A10-7870K Disected For Hidden Improvements

Opcode

Source

The other day, fifth-generation A series APUs (Godavari) was released. Godavari, also referred to as "Kaveri Refresh" is a minor change model with an enhanced operating clock than the existing Kaveri based products, were information states "TIM between the die and the heat spreader has been changed to solder".

ZkWLkF1.jpg

Left: A10-7870k Right: A10-7700k

Motherboard ASUS A88X-PRO
Memory DDR3-2133 4GB × 2 (11-11-11-31,1.65V)
CPU Cooler CRYORIG R1 Ultimate
Compound Prolimatech PK-3
Case No Case
Stress Test Prime95 v28.5 (Small FFTs)
Monitoring Software HWMonitor 1.27 (CPU-Package)
Room Temperature 27.0±0.5℃

The graph below summarizes the results of the tests.

BVjcLtr.png

Looks like AMD switched from TIM to solder which warranted a pretty hefty thermal improvement. The A10-7870K should make for better overclocking than Kaveri. Securing higher frequencies at lower volts. Which is important as these chips have diminishing returns after 1.45V - 1.475V depending on leakage.

Nice, my 7850K had no OC room at all.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I have a mineral oil cooled A10-7850k at 4.2GHz CPU and 1000 MHz GPU, I I could get it higher then that would be awesome.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

My 7850k is at 4.4GHz 1.45v. I could never get 4.5 stable enough :(

I have a mineral oil cooled A10-7850k at 4.2GHz CPU and 1000 MHz GPU, I I could get it higher then that would be awesome.

I demand pictures

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

My 7850k is at 4.4GHz 1.45v. I could never get 4.5 stable enough :(

Securing 4.6 GHz should be more achievable with these chips. They also ship with a beefier stock cooler in which I also find appealing. As many would need to immediately switch to aftermarket cooling in most cases to run the chip out of the box at acceptable temperatures.

img_16.jpg

Left: A10-7870k Right: A10-7850k

Based on my experience with AMD products the right cooler is their standard 95w TDP cooler and the left is their 125w TDP cooler. I have one much similar to it sitting in my closet that AMD sent me before inquiring about an AIO. So it sits as a backup once my AIO goes kaput.  :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/217272-mineral-oil-cooled-m-itx/

those are old pics, replaced rad with thicker rad.

and changed how tubing is laid out, 1 fitting was leaking so I didnt replaced it just removed it.

Have you looked to see the averge GPU overclocks for the 7850k? I'm more interested in how much of an effect the tim replacement would have on GPU performance than CPU performance.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Securing 4.6 GHz should be more achievable with these chips. They also ship with a beefier stock cooler in which I also find appealing. As many would need to immediately switch to aftermarket cooling in most cases to run the chip out of the box at acceptable temperatures.

-snip-

Based on my experience with AMD products the right cooler is their standard 95w TDP cooler and the left is their 125w TDP cooler. I have one much similar to it sitting in my closet that AMD sent me before inquiring about an AIO. So it sits as a backup once my AIO goes kaput. :)

I used to use that cooler as I got it for free when I built a computer with an 8350 for a friend. I got 4.4GHz with it but it got up to the 60 degrees in a h440. With water cooling it stays under 40 degrees under load. Ambient room temp is 26 now. When I was using the stock 8350 cooler it was much lower (under 20)

Have you looked to see the averge GPU overclocks for the 7850k? I'm more interested in how much of an effect the tim replacement would have on GPU performance than CPU performance.

the 7850k is rated at 720MHz, and the 7870k is 800MHz. I can get it to 900-1000 easily, the CPU portion seems to put out more heat. but my OC is balanced to CPU, GPU, MEM.

I am not sure of what others got for the GPU.

I think the 7870k can get 4.4-4.6 CPU and 1000-1100 GPU at the same time easily.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Left: A10-7870k Right: A10-7850k

Left FX 8350 cooler Right FX 6300 cooler ; interesting

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

This is a plus.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650