State of the R9 290 for Current R9 290(x) Owners

winningsince1337

It's been popping into my head recently about what to do with my video card setup. And I was wondering what other 290(x) owners are going to do in light of 300 series re-brands and the current nVidia line-up and the whole game works stuff. Discuss below and answer the poll!

EDIT: Added crossfire as an option

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

wait til we see real benchmarks and prices for the Fury cards

then sell your 290x and get either the fury or the 980ti, depending which has better price/performance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i had a MSI R9 290 that i had to RMA twice because of issues with the hardware. I ultimately just gave up on AMD and i am just waiting for the 980ti hype to drop so i can buy myself one quickly.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

I'm sticking with my 280x for now, probably for 2 more years lol

It's been popping into my head recently about what to do with my video card setup. And I was wondering what other 290(x) owners are going to do in light of 300 series re-brands and the current nVidia line-up and the whole game works stuff. Discuss below and answer the poll!

I had to RMA my 290 and got sent a 290X, it just died, so it went in for RMA also..

Saw prices dropped on the NV side of life by a small bit,... Im in Australia , but it had dropped in price finally...

Went and got a GTX 970 (G1 Gaming) and at stock it beats both of them, and consumes a bit less power, it NEAR INAUDIBLE (silent as hell) and isn't as warm.

290-290x - 80-85*c @ 70-76%+ fanspeed (loud enough to hear it from 1.5m away)

GTX970 - 60-62*c @ 62% fanspeed (inAudible until within a meter)

I play a few gameworks titles (P-Cars being the most important atm) and didn't wanna be crippled any longer, and cannot be stuffed waiting for the rabbit to be pulled from AMD's hat,.. I wanted top tier performance in ALL my games, not just some,.. and went with the option I felt I had to.

(Maxwell also has plenty of headroom for a nice OC, but no1 can guarantee this, however I have 1565Mhz on the core, and performance is top notch in every single title I have, not 70% of them) Plus various other things like a better game capture software initiative, and all that other stuff some people use, and some people ignore.

I had been with AMD for over 10 years, x1650Pro/x1950/5850/6970/7870/7950/290/290x and many inbetweens...

Figuring out the control panel for NV was easy enough,.. and once its all read, what options do what, its pretty simple.

Overall I made a good purchase for MY needs, and you have to weight up the cost to performance benefit.

Go look up performance reviews of the 970 models you can afford "Google - GTX 970 Gigabyte" or whatever keywords you need.

/I have the Gigabyte Windforce model, I always choose this model, 7870/7950/290/290x all have been WF3 cards, and now my 970 is too.

A quiet, less power hungry, colder 290x killer IMO... (Not for higher res, but in 1080p, and its not overkill, its perfect for 1080p)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz