140 character limit being 'removed' for DMs on twitter

https://twittercommunity.com/t/removing-the-140-character-limit-from-direct-messages/41348

New limit of 10,000 characters for Direct messages.

140 character limit for public messages remaining.

Makes DMs FAR more useful and makes twitter far more of a social networking tool imo.

#becausestrawpoll:

Like or dislike this change?

https://strawpoll.me/4605805

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Why even have the 140 character limit on any of it?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Twitter in general is so annoying at times, when you're trying to say something but you can't easily fit it into 140 chars urgh

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

No idea but that is some of what made it what it is. That limit forced people to get their point out quicker and you never ran into a wall of text like there is on Facebook.

Because for accounts like Linus' and Slick's who already struggle to get through 140 character messages due to the quantity, it means people are forced to be very succint to save our lives from reading for 5 minutes before realizing it's a an idiot who's just trolling you.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm

Twitter in general is so annoying at times, when you're trying to say something but you can't easily fit it into 140 chars urgh

i think the 140 character limit is pretty good, keeps away a lot of flamers and if you want more than 140 characters then use facebook 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

But it makes it all that more special when your tweet is 140 exactly. It's a bit of an art.

No idea but that is some of what made it what it is. That limit forced people to get their point out quicker and you never ran into a wall of text like there is on Facebook.

Because for accounts like Linus' and Slick's who already struggle to get through 140 character messages due to the quantity, it means people are forced to be very succint to save our lives from reading for 5 minutes before realizing it's a an idiot who's just trolling you.

I guess, but there are times where 140 characters just isn't enough to get a point across.

I guess, but there are times where 140 characters just isn't enough to get a point across.

And for those times multiple tweets or a different platform are your options. I doubt they would ever remove the 140 character limit for such a small percent of possible tweets.

If I really need to, I use twitlonger, but fairly often it's to someone I could DM, but there's never really much of a point. Now there is and it might encourage more following, at least for a short time :)

There have been a few times where I'm trying to give technical feedback to a company on Twitter, trying to cram that into 140 just doesn't work and I don't really wanna go to another platform or inflict that crap on any followers that might catch. Now can just follow eachother for an hour and DM :)

Then twitter is not the medium you should be getting that point across with.

Much like someone trying to issue a subpoena through the medium of interpretive dance; some things just are not made to do some things; and that is a good thing.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Then twitter is not the medium you should be getting that point across with.

Much like someone trying to issue a subpoena through the medium of interpretive dance; some things just are not made to do some things; and that is a good thing.

I would pay money to see that particular example actually happen.

Seriously, that would be so hilariously stupid, that I think it might kill anyone watching it.

This post seems to fit very well.  You would have no problems in the Twitterverse.

I like it because it removes people from rambling on and on.

This post seems to fit very well.  You would have no problems in the Twitterverse.

giphy.gif

I see what you did there.

YAY FINALLY. now they should raise the character limit for tweets to at least 240. it really sucks when you wanna tweet something fire but it won't fit within 140 characters.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

YAY FINALLY. now they should raise the character limit for tweets to at least 240. it really sucks when you wanna tweet something fire but it won't fit within 140 characters.

They really need to not do this. The point of twitter is the brevity of it.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

They really need to not do this. The point of twitter is the brevity of it.

But it really pisses me off when i wanna say something but there isn't enough characters to express. Besides, i'm not asking much. And besides, 140 seems like a random number. I like at least 175-200 character limits.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'd rather see them not include @'s in the limit, at least when replying.

But it really pisses me off when i wanna say something but there isn't enough characters to express. Besides, i'm not asking much. And besides, 140 seems like a random number. I like at least 175-200 character limits.

One of the reasons it is so short is so that people will need to put a touch more thought into it. Give people more rome and they will use it because they have it; it just becomes a waste of time for the reader and a hindrance for the type of communication going on on twitter.

No, it just means that your thought is too verbose.  Even take your post, which can easily be written as:

YAY FINALLY. They should raise the limit to 240+ character because many tweets wont fit in 140 characters or less.

I re-wrote your message specifically to include every detail of the original meaning.  I didn't even take any shortcuts.  However, I can easily do that and it will become:

WOO! Should raise char-limit to 240+ cuz many of tweets wont fit with 140 or less.

Original: 174 chars

Rewritten: 114 chars (34% reduction)

Abbreviated: 82 chars (52% reduction)

So even if you don't want to use very short or abbreviated words, you can still achieve your thought by using fewer redundant or ineffective words.

Thank you for your time.

I'd rather see them not include @'s in the limit, at least when replying.

They shouldn't include it in the limit, bc there are people with super long @s and it just hogs up the space for other tweets. i mean URLs aren't included, but that's a different story

No, it just means that your thought is too verbose.  Even take your post, which can easily be written as:

I re-wrote your message specifically to include every detail of the original meaning.  I didn't even take any shortcuts.  However, I can easily do that and it will become:

Original: 174 chars

Rewritten: 114 chars (34% reduction)

Abbreviated: 82 chars (52% reduction)

So even if you don't want to use very short or abbreviated words, you can still achieve your thought by using fewer redundant or ineffective words.

Thank you for your time.

We need to crowd-fund you within this community to fit Linus ramblings into an abridged version. Take his 5000 words (spoken in 90 seconds flat) covering >19Khz audio spectrum and turn into a tweet. 

Could keep up with the latest tech news in 2 minutes per day :D

Making a proper message in 140 characters is hard. I'd like it to be like 250.