R4 case airflow help

noisebomb44

Does anyone know a simple way to improve my airflow?

Airflow.jpgYou can really see why my idle temps are like they are by looking at the image, i would guess that about 40-30% of the air split up to the lower section of the computer, where the graphic card and PSU are, but around 60% of the air end up in the upper section of the computer, where only the CPU is.

Temps:

GPU 47C

CPU 39-37C

If i where to upgrade my fans, should i eaither get a lower front fan, that blows through the hard drives, and then into the graphic card and PSU, or should i upgrade my CPU cooler?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

You could put fans in the top as exhaust and possibly switch the rear fan to intake. It will pull air to the top of the case as well, so the CPU temps should improve. 

This doesn't have to do with airflow. Your idle temps are good, especially for the GPU. The reason why the CPU temps are a bit higher is because you use a bloody Intel stock cooler. That's just how hot the CPU will get. If you want to lower the temps, speed up the CPU fan or get a bigger cooler.

2 fans in the front and 1 in the back is enough airflow even for an overclocked i5 and GTX 970 SLI. I am speaking out of experience here.

And re-do your cable management. It's terrible and kills airlow.

q.e.d. [/thread]

who cares...

1 clean up

2 re-do your wiring

3 bottom mounted fan and flip the PSU

4 top mounted exhaust.

5 your temps aren't bad for what you have. If they don't spike too high under load, your fine.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I had the exact same problem with you when i first got my r5. Although i didn't have any temperature problems (cpu idle at 34C with stock cooler and gpu at 34C), i found that there was pretty low airflow with the stock fans in the stock configuration. I found that with the define series of cases, you actually want some negative pressure in your case. I would recommend you to put the two fans that come with the case to the front and then getting a slightly more powerful but quiet fan in the back. When you close up the case and use that set up, you can actually feel air being pulled through the front vents and intakes, the rear exhaust will really do a good job if you put a nice fan there. The problem is because the front intake for the front fans are very restrictive. Just put your hand behind that fan while it's running and you will feel almost no airflow. Open the front door and remove the dust filter and you will see the difference between complete, not obstructive airflow to the airflow with the front door on. That's just something you will have to sacrifice with the silence the case brings. Hope this helps.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

You could put fans in the top as exhaust and possibly switch the rear fan to intake. It will pull air to the top of the case as well, so the CPU temps should improve. 

Although the problem i have with that is that a lot of dust could come in, since i have already built a mountain of dust on top of my case

Re do your cables. They shouldn't be that visible.

meh, i dont know, from the people ive heard that it doesnt really improve temps that much, it just makes it look better

clean out the dust on those fans dude

my lava lump CPU idles at 45, my GPU at 27, but only because it's a 750Ti

Might wanna get an aftermarket cooler for that haswell if you're really concerned about temps

what tool do you recommend for cleaning out dust from a computer, ive seen linus use this one use blow thing, should i use that or can i just use a vacuum cleaner?

and, yeah im going to get an aftermarket cooler soon, do you reccomend a aftermarked cooler if im not going to overclock for a while, but want a quiet computer. Ive heard a lot of good about "BE QUIET!"

flip the psu over. it looks like a vent is on the bottom of the case.

But im scared of it sucking up all the dust on the floor

This doesn't have to do with airflow. Your idle temps are good, especially for the GPU. The reason why the CPU temps are a bit higher is because you use a bloody Intel stock cooler. That's just how hot the CPU will get. If you want to lower the temps, speed up the CPU fan or get a bigger cooler.

2 fans in the front and 1 in the back is enough airflow even for an overclocked i5 and GTX 970 SLI. I am speaking out of experience here.

And re-do your cable management. It's terrible and kills airlow.

q.e.d. [/thread]

maybe, but since i dont have a modular power supply i have to cut off the cables in order to get rid of them, and they are hard as balls, i can barely bend them

maybe, but since i dont have a modular power supply i have to cut off the cables in order to get rid of them, and they are hard as balls, i can barely bend them

Use the force, Luke.

Bundle them with zip ties at least.

who cares...

1 clean up

2 re-do your wiring

3 bottom mounted fan and flip the PSU

4 top mounted exhaust.

5 your temps aren't bad for what you have. If they don't spike too high under load, your fine.

i will do my chores.. eventually

see if you can route your cables through the back of the case, like this

DT8NDXR.jpg

should really help with the airflow

my cables are hard as rock, although i managed to bend them a little bit

get a hyper 212 evo or a used zalman performa. I got the performa for 20 bucks a while back, it got more expensive

will look into that

I had the exact same problem with you when i first got my r5. Although i didn't have any temperature problems (cpu idle at 34C with stock cooler and gpu at 34C), i found that there was pretty low airflow with the stock fans in the stock configuration. I found that with the define series of cases, you actually want some negative pressure in your case. I would recommend you to put the two fans that come with the case to the front and then getting a slightly more powerful but quiet fan in the back. When you close up the case and use that set up, you can actually feel air being pulled through the front vents and intakes, the rear exhaust will really do a good job if you put a nice fan there. The problem is because the front intake for the front fans are very restrictive. Just put your hand behind that fan while it's running and you will feel almost no airflow. Open the front door and remove the dust filter and you will see the difference between complete, not obstructive airflow to the airflow with the front door on. That's just something you will have to sacrifice with the silence the case brings. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, although i cannot sacrifice the filter, i am at war with dust, and i only clean my computer once a year

Thanks for the tip, although i cannot sacrifice the filter, i am at war with dust, and i only clean my computer once a year

Yeah i know, keep the filter there, I'm just explaining that when you remove the filter, you can see the difference in airflow by A LOT. Also, give your pc some love and clean it more often! I clean my PC about once every month or month and a half.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Use the force, Luke.

Bundle them with zip ties at least.

Will see if i can find them after all these years

1. flip your power supply, so it intakes from the bottom of the case

2. route cables more effectively, use the back of the mobo

3. New cooler master cpu cooler is ~$25
4. new case fan(s) can be placed at the front, and/or to the left of the harddrive cage, intake cold air from below the case

Phenom II X6 1090T @3.6ghz , EVGA GTX 770 SC, 8GB Hyper-X ram, Adata SX900, WD Black, Corsair HX850, LG IPS234, Logitech G9x, Logitech X-230, Netgear R7000

1. flip your power supply, so it intakes from the bottom of the case

2. route cables more effectively, use the back of the mobo

3. New cooler master cpu cooler is ~$25

4. new case fan(s) can be placed at the front, and/or to the left of the harddrive cage, intake cold air from below the case

can you buy a separate filter for the fan?

But im scared of it sucking up all the dust on the floor

I'm pretty sure there's a bottom dust filter for your psu. In the R5, there's one on the bottom that spans the whole length of the case

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Change the thermal paste of the CPU it gas probably become sand by now.

Compaq EXS MiniTower | Intel Celeron 800Mhz CPU | nVidia TNT 2 | 128 MB Ram | 4GB HDD

Costum Build | Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz | nVidia Quadro 980 xgl | VIA Motherboard l 128 MB | 1 GB Ram | 80 GB HDD  

Dell OptiPlex| Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT| Intergrated Graphics| 1.5 GB Ram| 320 GB HDD

Costum Build 2012| Intel i5-3330| Asus GT 630| ASUS P8-B75-M LX PLUS| 500 BG HDD

Fijutsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505

Toshiba A205-S4577

DELL Ispiron 15r N5110

HP Pavilion G6 2012

HP ProBook 450 G1 | Intel Core i5-4200M | AMD Radeon 8750M | 4GB 1600MHz Ram | 750 GB HDD

can you buy a separate filter for the fan?

Yes you can, but you wont need to.

the front of the case already has a filter,

and the bottom fan slot also has a fan filter there as well

Phenom II X6 1090T @3.6ghz , EVGA GTX 770 SC, 8GB Hyper-X ram, Adata SX900, WD Black, Corsair HX850, LG IPS234, Logitech G9x, Logitech X-230, Netgear R7000