EE (UK Carrier) launches Phone & Text over WiFi

Master Disaster

This happened in April but for some reason wasn't really advertised.

Basically if you've got no Signal on your mobile you can still receive your calls and texts as long as your phone is connected to WiFi. Let's be clear, this isn't Viber or WhatsApp we're talking about here, it means if someone calls your number the call with get connected over WiFi instead of GPRS, I'll get to LTE next.

It does currently have some limitations, it only works over 2G or 3G right now and if you lose WiFi signal during a call you'll be disconnected. Also it doesn't work when roaming.

They're developing a new protocol right now so on 4G (LTE) your calls will transition seamlessly from LTE to WiFi and vice versa, the new protocol will be called VoLTE (voice over LTE).

Currently the only place you can get this is the UK and one carrier.

Source - http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/wi-fi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know-1267445

This is awesome, really good for rural areas. This should become widely adopted very quickly I'd imagine.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is the future.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Awesome!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Just dawned on me, if you call out over WiFi do you still pay for the call?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Tele2 in Lithuania has that too, supposedly so that you could call for free when you go outside of the country.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is the future.

fuck me i loled...ive had this since september on o2 and it was out months before that on 3

die-hard-2.gif

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Same as Tu Go on o2, EE has gone Thermaltake on this right here.

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

I remember hearing about this ages ago, there was even advertisement in the form of posters/billboards if I remember right.  

Pretty sure some other carriers have even rolled out their own versions now. Think 3 have, and maybe others. 

Like @Blackler mentioned O2 have a version too.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Vodafone have offered a service similar to this for a while in the UK. With a "wifi access point" supplied by them. And amazingly yes you still had to pay for the calls / texts. I would imagine EE would also charge for the calls / texts, or ya know remove the amount from your plan.

Read the source article, this is not the same thing as O2, Vodafone etc.

All them services require an app to be running in order to receive calls and texts.

This is seamless and handled entirely by the network, your phone needs nothing installed on it and you can be connected to any WiFi, even public. The phone handles a WiFi call in the exact way a normal call is handled, no separate call list, phone book and text threads.

As I said, the service is only available on EE right now, any other network is not using VoLTE

Edit

Doesn't that already exist?

Before you all go 'this has been available for ages from the likes of Skype, Viber, Three, O2 and more recently WhatsApp', let us explain.

Three and O2 have their own applications allowing customers to make and receive calls and texts over a Wi-Fi network.

All your activity is kept separate, which can ruin message flows and confuse call logs, as you'll need to check two apps for potential missed calls and new texts.

A similar case is found with Skype, WhatsApp and Viber, although these services don't necessarily link directly with your phone number and provide more standalone communication platforms.

EE's Wi-Fi calling works exactly the same as the mobile network, meaning you may not even notice you're actually using a Wi-Fi network rather than the mobile one - although you do get an icon in the status bar alerting you to the fact.

That means your text conversations remain uninterrupted and your call log stays complete - without the need to switch to a different application when using a Wi-Fi network to connect to your friends.

This is so old lol. 3 has been doing to for a long time now, they even give a mini stick to connect to the router to boost connection for FREE!

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

This is so old lol. 3 has been doing to for a long time now, they even give a mini stick to connect to the router to boost connection for FREE!

FFS no it isn't, read the OP source. Its brand new, launched in April 2015 and exclusive to EE.

FFS no it isn't, read the OP source. Its brand new, launched in April 2015 and exclusive to EE.

But it's June  :huh:

I do get it though aha I should have read the original source, basically a nicer version and more integrated then other networks, EE was great when I used it back home in London, but at my uni their signal is so shit, wish I had this when I had EE because we get free wifi all over campus  :wub:

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

That would be interesting would phone carriers be out of business then, obviously you'd still need phone masts etc. But probably not as many. Along with all this talk of Wi-Fi everywhere could this be the start of the end of mobile infrastructure

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s