What do you mean delete doesn't delete?

mr moose

[sarcasm] really? I had no idea these computers were so devious and tricky, it is a conspiracy, a travesty [/sarcasm] 

It's mind blowing what passes for news these days, let alone the sensationalism of such a benign aspect of the operating system.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/techknow/what-really-happens-to-your-deleted-files/story-fnda1lbo-1226683036322

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I like how delete doesn't delete things. I can use Recuva to have them back if I accidentally shift+delete them.

use eraser if you are deleting your Edward Snowden chat log or something.

To really delete data. It's not that easy. even formatting hard drive won't do it .

You can overwrite things but it's still possible to recover some of the data.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Real way to delete data : No internet connection ever used on that pc , and putting the drive in a Gasoline flame and after that hit it 156 times with a hammer! (155 times will not work)

Interested in Business and Technology

The thing is not all new is news for everyone. 

This is why we have search engines.

How to delete things correctly: 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The thing is not all new is news for everyone. 

This is why we have search engines.

I know, my primary gripe is the way it is sensationalised by a supposedly professional tech reporter. And the fact that he didn't think to report on it years ago, only after vsauce made a video.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I know, my primary gripe is the way it is sensationalised by a supposedly professional tech reporter. And the fact that he didn't think to report on it years ago, only after vsauce made a video.

Not everybody watches the news.

Many watch vsauce. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I was so confused as to why Michael would waste his time on something so rudimentary as this. I watched the video anyways... (well, more like 'listened' while doing more productive things  ^_^)

EDIT: Linus should troll us because of this thread by making a "Deleting as Fast as Possible" video.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

This is basic storage design knowledge, it's just 1 and 0's. I wish more people knew this.

But who actually takes any kind of journalism seriously these days anyway  :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I was so confused as to why Michael would waste his time on something so rudimentary as this. I watched the video anyways... (well, more like 'listened' while doing more productive things  ^_^)

EDIT: Linus should troll us because of this thread by making a "Deleting as Fast as Possible" video.

Good idea.

Linus needs to delete his FAP folder?

To really delete data. It's not that easy. even formatting hard drive won't do it .

You can overwrite things but it's still possible to recover some of the data.

Doing a hard format of your hard drive will pretty much eliminate anyone from finding your data. You'd need some very specialized and expensive equipment to recover data that's been overwritten.

Eraser basically destroys it, though.