Linus has me nervous

Torna

Linus mentioned this about the 980Ti in the WANShow, should I be worried?

15% drop off from the TitanX which is larger than can be accounted for by the lost SMs....which would account for about a 10% drop....there is a missing 5% somewhere in the card...

Linus calls the 980Ti a mystery.

There are weird differences in fill rate and test mark...

There are big differences in the real world too....Linus has the 980Ti nearly the same as the TitanX and he mentions that NCIX has the Ti as a clear cut loser.

He thought the difference in his review was his Ti was boosting really high but now based on new numbers he has seen his is unsure.  And he mentions what happened with people turning in their 970s....as someone who has been lusting after a Ti he suddenly has me....unsettled.

No. There's nothing wrong with the card.

Stop worrying about specs and look at benchmarks.

If you're so worried just wait for the non-reference cards and their benchmarks to drop

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

15% drop off from the TitanX which is larger than can be accounted for by the lost SMs....which would account for about a 10% drop....there is a missing 5% somewhere in the card...

There are big differences in the real world too....Linus has the 980Ti nearly the same as the TitanX and he mentions that NCIX has the Ti as a clear cut loser.

He thought the difference in his review was his Ti was boosting really high but now based on new numbers he has seen his is unsure.  And he mentions what happened with people turning in their 970s....as someone who has been lusting after a Ti he suddenly has me....unsettled.

The 980ti is less powerful, therefore it is not going to beat the titan x, simple as that.

The 980ti is an amazing card for the price, hell, if I had the money, I'd get one and ditch my 970! :P

(Even though my 970 is more than powerful enough for me for now)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1. To be fair in that part of the WANshow he talked about the 970....issues....

2.  I am not denying it is great....I am wringing my hands because it a wonderful card and I am totally lusting after one but a missing 5% is perhaps a big deal.

Part of the reason I am worried is because I want a graphics card....it has been a....saga...and I can point the non reference card I want....that evga seems to be going out to the movies instead of getting out.  

And I am so worried because of the saga if there is the question I could go to newegg at this second and get the 980 I looked at.

I doubt the difference is big enough to pay $350 more for a Titan x.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

No I am thinking more in terms of stress myself out more and wait for the Ti I want or pay for a card that comes to me right now that is a 980.

No. There's nothing wrong with the card.

Stop worrying about specs and look at benchmarks.

I keep telling people this same thing about the 970, and people are adamant that it has some kind of "issue". :P

No I am thinking more in terms of stress myself out more and wait for the Ti I want or pay for a card that comes to me right now that is a 980.

Can you rephrase that?

I keep telling people this same thing about the 970, and people are adamant that it has some kind of "issue". :P

Yep. I don't get it.

Stop worrying about the 980 Ti. It is not supposed on to be on par with the Titan X lol. It's $350 cheaper.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Stop worrying about the 980 Ti. It is not supposed on to be on par with the Titan X lol. It's $350 cheaper.

Is it not? Every benchmark I've seen has had them within 2fps of eachother.

I would either wait for a Ti or go get a 980 Hydro Copper right this second.  I have been stressing waiting for the 980Ti Hydro Copper too....(I vote for a field trip to turn EVGA's movie off....so they get their butts in gear).  

So you mean people think I should keep stressing and hitting refresh on EVGAs website.

Whatever happened to aftermarket coolers for the Titan X, btw? That was a news story a couple of weeks ago and so far I've seen one, and it was a Zotac irrc.

Is it not? Every benchmark I've seen has had them within 2fps of eachother.

Then your looking at the wrong benchmarks.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Whatever happened to aftermarket coolers for the Titan X, btw? That was a news story a couple of weeks ago and so far I've seen one, and it was a Zotac irrc.

There are no aftermarket coolers for Titan X afaik,

NVIDIA forbids the rest from tinkering with it.

Unless you consider watercooling blocks that is.

I doubt the 5% difference is big enough to pay $350 more for a Titan x.

The only spec thsts important here.

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

As everyone has said they are as close as almost makes no difference.  

Techpowerup (same results as everyone else):

a stock Titan X is 3-4% faster than stock 980ti

an overclocked 980ti is 9% faster than a stock Titan X

Given the large number of awesome 3rd party coolers coming for the 980ti the factory overclocked 3rd party 980ti s will be faster than the stock Titan X.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/31.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/34.html

( Obviously you could sell a kidney and watercool a Titan X to get a 3-4% improvement over an overclocked 980ti)

There are no aftermarket coolers for Titan X afaik,

NVIDIA forbids the rest from tinkering with it.

Unless you consider watercooling blocks that is.

No they lifted that and Zotac released this hybrid cooler: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/05/29/zotac-titan-x-windforce/1.

No idea why the url is calling it Windforce, it's Zotac ArcticStorm.

I haven't seen any other aftermarket versions though.

Do share.

Iirc jayztwocents review of the 980ti showed up to 10% difference in frame ratw between the cards.

Given that both cards are usually TDP limited they will perform almost identically untill you remove the TDP/cooling restrictions.

I was going to buy a Titan X, but with the 980ti released it just wasn't worth the difference in price.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

The 980ti is brilliantly priced. Back in the day the top tier cards were 400-500 dollars, but with Nvidia branding the top card at 1000 dollars (1300 in Canada), The 650 USD 980ti looks like a really good deal. With inflation it kinda is considering the performance vs current AMD cards, and by the time you would be affected by any ram partitioning, the 980ti will be old news and in need of an upgrade.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

EVGA has a ACX 2.0 cooler and a Hybrid water cooler for the Titan X. Not sure about other companies. EVGA rep told me the ACX 2.0 cooler should take off about 10-15C and the Hybrid shows it at 50C at full load.

Do share.

JayzTwoCents review. He had the Titan X and 980 Ti running at 1400MHz. Showed some differences with Crysis 3. It is close but not worth the price. Nvidia just slapped Titan X owners in the face lol. I should of waited but I can't complain. I am buying EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI for my second pc.

Iirc jayztwocents review of the 980ti showed up to 10% difference in frame ratw between the cards.

Given that both cards are usually TDP limited they will perform almost identically untill you remove the TDP/cooling restrictions.

I was going to buy a Titan X, but with the 980ti released it just wasn't worth the difference in price.

Agreed. 980 Ti for sure. The one I want is out of stock. Jayz review was great.

EVGA has a ACX 2.0 cooler and a Hybrid water cooler for the Titan X. Not sure about other companies. EVGA rep told me the ACX 2.0 cooler should take off about 10-15C and the Hybrid shows it at 50C at full load.

JayzTwoCents review. He had the Titan X and 980 Ti running at 1400MHz. Showed some differences with Crysis 3. It is close but not worth the price. Nvidia just slapped Titan X owners in the face lol. I should of waited but I can't complain. I am buying EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI for my second pc.

I saw the JayzTwoCents review, there was bugger all between the Titan X and 980 Ti.

And I know about the EVGA cooler, but it's being sold separately. It's not being sold with the GPU. I'm interested in seeing if any manufacturers besides Zotac are releasing Titan Xs with aftermarket coolers attached given that Nvidia have allowed it this time.

There aren't actually.. But I guess those dots can't be connected.

The 980ti is brilliantly priced. Back in the day the top tier cards were 400-500 dollars, but with Nvidia branding the top card at 1000 dollars (1300 in Canada), The 650 USD 980ti looks like a really good deal. With inflation it kinda is considering the performance vs current AMD cards, and by the time you would be affected by any ram partitioning, the 980ti will be old news and in need of an upgrade.

I'm sorry what I have seen out of AMD lately unless the card comes with it's own unicorn the "old" Nvidia will still kick the crap out of AMD's new amazing card release.