Change cooler with out turning off pc?

HElROC

@HElROC

Lets do some math:

- The IHS is 42x42x7 mm and made of aluminium. Because it is not a massive block let's say you subbtract 20% for the die.

-> 12 cm^3 = 33 g

33g * 0.8 = 16.7g

heat capacity: 897 J/(kg * K) -> 23.9 J / K

the aluminium is not pure so you lose around 25%

-> 17.9 J/K

heating up from 30°C to 85°C: 986J = 986 Ws

So lets say your CPU only produces 20 watts -> you have 49 seconds time to take away the old heat sink, clean off the old paste, put some new on and install the new CPU cooler.

Sorry your not gonna make it. And after 10 seconds you can't touch the CPU anymore or you gets burned.

There is also an other point. When I change the CPU cooler sometimes one screw fall donw on the MoBo. It only taks me a few sonconds to pick it up agian, but if the system in on, you may shorten something and break your MoBo.

Seriously just shut it off!

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Why is anybody trying to still help him lol. Let him burn his PC down. Turn off the computer for fucks sake, no need for adventure 

Is this a troll thread? I feel like this is a troll thread.

Intel Core i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz / Cryorig H7 / Asus Maximus Gene VII / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb @ 2166mhz / Asus Strix GTX 960

I want to see how long i can do. And i have access to an industrial freezer to keep it cool.

The heat sink is required to disburse the heat  

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Is this a troll thread? I feel like this is a troll thread.

It isn't

You have two options.

> Do it while it's on and kill your PC.

> Do it while it's off and not kill your PC.

The only time when you can gloat about uptimes is running a server that provides a service to people.

Considering your responses in this thread, I am 99.99% confident that you aren't running a server that provides a service to other people.

PS: If you do it and your PC dies, let us know so we can laugh at you, ok?

Not quite as silly an idea as cleaning a meat grinder while it is in operation.

But close.

sir you get a cookie

chocolate-cookie-cookies-delicious-desse

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

sir you get a cookie

Thank you.

Shortly after posting that I remembered a seventh grade science classmate who attempted to refill an alcohol burner by pouring more alcohol down the wick.

While it was lit.

And it was a school for the "gifted."

Thank you.

Shortly after posting that I remembered a seventh grade science classmate who attempted to refill an alcohol burner by pouring more alcohol down the wick.

While it was lit.

And it was a school for the "gifted."

and what where/is your gift?xD

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

and what where/is your gift?xD

As I have never set an entire desktop aflame (or had to go to the ER to have a melted ring removed from my finger) I suppose my gift is learning from (bad) example!

:)