Change cooler with out turning off pc?

HElROC

So i am trying to keep my pc turned on for as long as possible and the stock heat sink isn't that great. I have the i5 4670k @stock with a msi krait mobo. So can i do it or will i be keeping stock cooling?

So i am trying to keep my pc turned on for as long as possible and the stock heat sink isn't that great. I have the i5 4670k @stock with a msi krait mobo. So can i do it or will i be keeping stock cooling?

Don't remove  the heatsink while its running.

Among other things the cpu could be quite hot and you don't want to burn yourself.

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

but can it be done?

Among other things the cpu could be quite hot and you don't want to burn yourself.

but can it be done?

yes, if you underclock AND undervolt the cpu till the bare minimun to run windows, VERY LOW, then you might be able to.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

I wouldn't do it

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

but can it be done?

If you want to kill your PC yes. otherwise No.

In theory you could change it while your computer was in "Sleep" Mode but any little thing could wake it up to kill your chip.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Why are you trying to run it as long as possible?

Fun?

yes, if you underclock AND undervolt the cpu till the bare minimun to run windows, VERY LOW, then you might be able to.

Nice idea going to try it.

0.5ghz ?

I would not try it even if it's underclocked and undervolted. Not even if it would be in a sleep mode.

Fun?

0.5ghz ?

lower, and as our smart man here said : 

If you want to kill your PC yes. otherwise No.

In theory you could change it while your computer was in "Sleep" Mode but any little thing could wake it up to kill your chip.

this is a good idea, if you take off ALL perifeals to take away a possibillity of accidentally booting it up:P

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Turn your PC off its not good to run it all the time.

You do know you have to restart it to apply the new clock speed.

Not with software,

Do you have a deathwish for your computer? Because that is how you kill your computer.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Fun?

0.5ghz ?

I wouldn't even do that. For funsies I've messed around with removing heatsinks on CPU's while they are running, and they can go from 30c to 80c within 2-5 seconds, even when underclocked and undervolted. The only time I would ever recommend this is if you are doing this on a test bench and setting the cooler on the CPU(not actually mounting it), but this would be a temporary solution. I would just turn off your PC, long up times aren't that special.

I wouldn't even do that. For funsies I've messed around with removing heatsinks on CPU's while they are running, and they can go from 30c to 80c within 2-5 seconds, even when underclocked and undervolted. The only time I would ever recommend this is if you are doing this on a test bench and setting the cooler on the CPU(not actually mounting it), but this would be a temporary solution. I would just turn off your PC, long up times aren't that special.

I want to see how long i can do. And i have access to an industrial freezer to keep it cool.

And i have access to an industrial freezer to keep it cool.

It wont help. the air around the chip wont conduct heat fast enough for a low ambient to help.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

It wont help. the air around the chip wont conduct heat fast enough for a low ambient to help.

Going to try it for a laugh.

I want to see how long i can do. And i have access to an industrial freezer to keep it cool.

How the heck are you going to get it to the freezer without unplugging it. But really just no it's a bad idea even doing it in a freezer won't change anything you will kill it. Have fun with your dead PC this will be a 200$ mistake.

How the heck are you going to get it to the freezer without unplugging it. But really just no it's a bad idea even doing it in a freezer won't change anything you will kill it. Have fun with your dead PC this will be a 200$ mistake.

I'm just waiting for him too do it and not kill the chip; then he takes his PC out of the freezer and the condensation kills it.

have backups that can run the pc for 1 hour.

I'm just waiting for him too do it and not kill the chip; then he takes his PC out of the freezer and the condensation kills it.

Actually letting him kill it would be nice it's been a while since there was a good post in this topic.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/366597-dumb-ways-you-thought-pcs-worked/page-8

And condensation would kill all other parts. While you can do pretty much anything to components, the time that it will take for you to remove cooler, clean thermal paste, apply new paste, add brackets and place new cooler takes too much. CPU will auto-shutdown.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv