[updated] not all GCN cards are DX12 (feature level) compatible!?!

source: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/directx-12-amd-radeon-feature-level-12-0-gcn/

can someone native german can translate this for us? because from what I can understand: Bonaire,Tahiti, Pitcairn and Cape Verde are not DX 12_0 capable; Robert Hallock refused to comment
this is really big if true - extinction level event  :unsure:

---

DX12_0 mandatory features: Resource Binding Tier 2, Tiled Resources Tier 2 (Texture2D), Typed UAV Loads (additional formats)

​other thing that just popped into mind and would explain why MS had said numerous occasion that DX12 on XB1 would bring benefits but nothing exciting; why? the GPU in XB1 is based on Bonaire while the one in PS4 on Pitcairn

edit: full translation thanks to xTrekStorex

Nvidias GPUs based on the Maxwell 2.0 architecture will support DX12 on feature levels 12_0 and 12_1. Older GPUs only support 11_0. About AMD there has only been information so far that all GCN cards are capable of running the reduced overhead of DX12. Until now.

ComputerBase had a personal conversation with Robert Hallock, Head of Global Technical Marketing at AMD, and found out that all so far available types of GCN cards also support feature level 12_0 of DX12. Though he didn’t want to confirm if all GPUs of this architecture are able to run it.
Tonga and even the newer Carrizo-APU will do for sure, same goes for the GPU of the Xbox One and due to this probably also the Hawaii-GPUs. On the other hand this is unclear for Bonaire and especially the older chips Tahiti, Pitcairn and Cape Verde. ComputerBase is trying to get for information regarding this.

The feature level 12_1 seems to be restricted to Nvidias GM200, GM204 and GM206 GPUs so far.
AMD didn’t want to comment on Fiji.

According to Hallock the absence of feature level 12_1 shouldn’t be a problem. From his point of view all relevant features for games are contained in feature level 11_1 and 12_0. On top of that most games would be oriented on consoles and will barely utilize 12_1.

However these comments are to be taken with caution. As long as a manufacturer doesn’t have or use a feature it always is irrelevant from his perspective. Same happened with Nvidia for example when Kepler didn’t support feature level 11_1.

---

the source updated their article with a list with clarifications: GCN 1.0 is limited to DX 11_1 feature level
hiRNp7L.png

GCN 1.0 based GPUs:

• Oland
  • Cape Verde
  • Pitcairn
  • Tahiti

---

as per source, updated again, the complete GPU list with (and without) DX12 support:

MbNhU9C.png

source: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/directx-12-amd-radeon-feature-level-12-0-gcn/

can someone native german can translate this for us? because from what I can understand: Bonaire,Tahiti, Pitcairn and Cape Verde are not DX 12_0 capable; Robert Hallock refused to comment

Well Tahiti Pitcairn and Cape Verde are all the original GCN that launched 3 years ago, Bonaire was the next chip, while this is disappointing I don't see the need to be talking about extinctions, i guess the obvious complaint is the fact that all these GPUs are still sold today, but i don't think DX12 is going to be nearly as commonplace as some here think 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

but i don't think DX12 is going to be nearly as commonplace as some here think 

elaborate, pls.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Well Tahiti Pitcairn and Cape Verde are all the original GCN that launched 3 years ago, Bonaire was the next chip, while this is disappointing I don't see the need to be talking about extinctions, i guess the obvious complaint is the fact that all these GPUs are still sold today, but i don't think DX12 is going to be nearly as commonplace as some here think 

would be quite big because, if true, AMD lied through their teeth

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-demonstrates-2014mar20.aspx

I hope my 270X will be....

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

would be quite big because, if true, AMD lied through their teeth

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-demonstrates-2014mar20.aspx

Some are saying GCN is 12 but not 12.1 compatible according to this document in the OP

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It may have more to do with the new features that DX12 will have then just not being able to run it period, but I can't read the article just guessing based on what I've heard already.

H has in an interview with Robert Hallock , Head of Global Technical Marketing at AMD , can bring in experiences that Graphics Core Next supports in the previously available versions DirectX 12 with the feature level 12_0 . That all GPUs of architecture can deal with it , the manufacturers would not confirm , however .

This is what the article says

this is talking about dx12_1. It will be used as much as dx11_1 is, which is to say not very much.

We already knew weeks ago the dx12_1 is not supported on current AMD cards, so this isn't really news, just clickbait.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Some are saying GCN is 12 but not 12.1 compatible according to this document in the OP

DX12 is segmented in feature levels

from my understanding: Hallock said 12_1 is not that important for their cards

but 12_0 is another thing, that's the DX12 foundation

Not all cards will have newest feature support since not all cards will be latest GCN. Similar to the 400-700 series for Nvidia. You will get DX12 but not all parts and certainly not much better going forward into 12.X releases.

It's worse for AMD since the 3XX is largely rebrands of 2XX.

well these are cards out in like 2012, ofc they are not DX12 ready, they are basicaly talking about 270, 280, 250; surprised to see the 260 there though

well these are cards out in like 2012, ofc they are not DX12 ready, they are basicaly talking about 270, 280, 250; surprised to see the 260 there though

and most of the 2xx series was a rebrand of the HD7xxx series .. your point?  <_<

It's worse for AMD since the 3XX is largely rebrands of 2XX.

think they will rebrand and leave DX12 out of some? :o

that would suck. I expect it maybe from the low-end stuff. but mid-high I want DX12 D:

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

think they will rebrand and leave DX12 out of some? :o

that would suck. I expect it maybe from the low-end stuff. but mid-high I want DX12 D:

Don't worry, they will all support DX12 and Vulkan. Same for all Nvidia Kepler and Maxwell cards.

There may be a few small feature level differences.

656x341xo4wOYxm.png.pagespeed.ic.6BBul3Z

This has been floating around for a while, is it fake or real?

It's real, but for dx12_0 only.

12_1, which the OP article talks about, is probably about as relevant as dx11.1 was. The reason is because of the Xbone. What it supports (12_0) will effect pc gaming greatly.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

They are basically saying that all current GCN cards will support 12.0 but not 12.1, including Hawaii. They are not sure about Fijii yet so so far only Nvidias newset series is known for 12.1 support.

Will do a full translation real quick..

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

They are basically saying that all current GCN cards will support 12.0 but not 12.1, including Hawaii. They are not sure about Fijii yet so so far only Nvidias newset series is known for 12.1 support.

Will do a full translation real quick..

ok, what about the passage with:

Fraglich ist es dagegen bei Bonaire, vor allem aber bei den ältesten Chips, Tahiti, Pitcairn und Cape Verde.

ComputerBase versucht diesbezüglich noch weitere Informationen zu erhalten.

??

sounds like amds constant re-badging might bight them in ass a little with lower end cards, dont think it will be a big issue though

ok, what about the passage with:

??

Full translation:

Nvidias GPUs based on the Maxwell 2.0 architecture will support DX12 on feature levels 12_0 and 12_1. Older GPUs only support 11_0. About AMD there has only been information so far that all GCN cards are capable of running the reduced overhead of DX12. Until now.

ComputerBase had a personal conversation with Robert Hallock, Head of Global Technical Marketing at AMD, and found out that all so far available types of GCN cards also support feature level 12_0 of DX12. Though he didn’t want to confirm if all GPUs of this architecture are able to run it.

Tonga and even the newer Carrizo-APU will do for sure, same goes for the GPU of the Xbox One and due to this probably also the Hawaii-GPUs. On the other hand this is unclear for Bonaire and especially the older chips Tahiti, Pitcairn and Cape Verde. ComputerBase is trying to get for information regarding this.

The feature level 12_1 seems to be restricted to Nvidias GM200, GM204 and GM206 GPUs so far.

AMD didn’t want to comment on Fiji.

According to Hallock the absence of feature level 12_1 shouldn’t be a problem. From his point of view all relevant features for games are contained in feature level 11_1 and 12_0. On top of that most games would be oriented on consoles and so will barely utilize 12_1.

However these comments are to be taken with caution. As long as a manufacturer doesn’t have or use a feature it always is irrelevant from his perspective. Same happened with Nvidia for example when Kepler didn’t support feature level 11_1.

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

all gcn gpus are dx12 capable..will have 100% dx12 usage..not dx12.1 however.

but the .1 has never mattered,dx 11 was just as good as 11.1,hell i saw absolutely no benefit from 11 to 11.2.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

yes, that part - that's really big

Full translation:

thank you for translating that, that is pretty informative. I was under the impression that GCN 1.1 was only different to 1.0 in regards to Powertune 2.0, true audio, dx11.2 and VSR. Everything else seemed to scale pretty flat from tahiti to Hawaii, so why Hallock is keeping a lid on it could be a marketing thing to get people to upgrade, or it could very well be that GCN 1.0 is missing some feature support.