New build July: Should I wait for Skylake?

Hi guys. I am planning to build a new pc around July.

My initial plan was to use an i5 4690k for the build, but just noticed that Skylake is due to release around the middle of august.

Is it worth to wait until then for the new processors? Will there be a very big difference performance wise over the Haswell processors?

Should I buy a cheap G3258, and upgrade to skyline when it comes?

Thanks

Skylake will be on 1151 socket.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Skylake will be on 1151 socket.

Ohh yeah... :) totally forgot that..

Is it worth to build the pc in august then :D ?

Yeah it's worth, this secretism about releasing specs makes me think they have a hidden monster to counter AMD's Zen next year (minimum 55% ipc increase over current FX cpus, and a completely new architecture that can put them on par with haswell), or they just hadn't time to counter.

Anyway, with 2 new architectures it's not worth to waste all the money on current hardware (DDR4, AVX512, SataE, etc is coming with those archs)

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Yeah it's worth, this secretism about releasing specs makes me think they have a hidden monster to counter AMD's Zen next year (minimum 55% ipc increase over current FX cpus, and a completely new architecture that can put them on par with haswell), or they just hadn't time to counter.

Anyway, with 2 new architectures it's not worth to waste all the money on current hardware (DDR4, AVX512, SataE, etc is coming with those archs)

Pff always waiting. Planned to build in may, then wait for the June gnu's now wait for the processor in august... is always a waiting time..

I'd wait the extra month for Skylake if it's really supposed to be out in August.

Yeah that's the point.. if it's really in august. What are the major improvements? If it's 10% increase in performance as usual it's not really worth it...

Broadwell benchmarks were posted today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9320/intel-broadwell-review-i7-5775c-i5-5765c/9

Bear in mind that these are 65 Watt processors operating at ~3.1 GHz up against Haswell, and they're hitting the same level of performance, sometimes even pulling ahead slightly. My point isn't that anyone should jump on Broadwell today (it's priced terribly), instead that if Skylake is released as a new microarchitecture at 14 nm and an 88–95 W thermal limit with these improvements and more, how damned good is that going to be?

If you wait I'd suggest waiting at least a month or more after it hits the market - let someone else be the first adopter.

When building a new PC, hardware advances so quickly that if you're waiting for the latest and greatest to be released, then you will end up waiting forever. If you wait for Skylake, by the time it is released, you may end up wanting to wait again because company X says they will release product Y in another month. You wait for product Y and after it is released...

you get the idea.

You want my opinion? Build now. Unless you absolutely HAVE TO have the latest and greatest there is, it doesn't make sense to wait or you may end up waiting forever.

I just built an Ivy Bridge PC about 5 months ago because I found an awesome deal on a processor, motherboard and GPU (not a bundle by the way, I bought them separately). In comparison to my old build, it was much better. Sure it isn't the latest and greatest, but for my needs right now, it's enough and gets the job done.

A comparatively similar Haswell build would have cost me about 35% more but I would only have got maybe 10-15% more performance out of the Haswell build.

I guess what it comes down to is, unless there is a feature or performance increase that you absolutely must have, build a Haswell machine now, and save yourself the potential headaches that may come with a new product on the market. Haswell is tested and there are more people using it: if you find any weird issues, there is more of a chance of finding someone who found the issue too and can help you fix it. With any new product, most of the time you're on your own until more people adopt the new platform and start using it.

-Golfball_Pro