Will not run on stock voltage...Why?

ASRockMy PC will NOT run stable on stock voltage. Not even at stock clock speeds.

Prime 95 crashes at least two and sometimes three or four cores in the first 30 seconds.

Every time this thing gets back to default settings,it's blue screen after blue screen.

It starts at 1.31v ....pretty sure. Maybe a tick lower.
If I bump it to 1.45v it runs great. Runs cool and will run Prime 95 for hours without issue. 62C after a couple hours at 100% with no indication of going any higher.
Funny thing is,if I bump the voltage to 1.45v I can take the clock speed from stock 3.5GHz to 4.7GHz and STILL run stable on Prime 95.

My games run fine on 3.5GHz so that's a non issue but WHY does it need a boost in voltage to run stock speeds? Just an AMD thing?
Is there anything wrong with running higher voltage? It is rated to 1.55v

What do you think? Just run the 1.45v and be content?
I plan on going to Intel when money is a little more steady so let's focus on my AMD chip for now  ;)

AMD 8320 water cooled with Lepa Aquachanger 120.
ASRock 970 Performance
EVGA 960SC
G-Skill Ripjaws 4X2GB

Lepa 550W Maxbron PSU970 Performance 
EVGA 960SC 
G-Skill Ripjaws 4X2GB 
Lepa 550W Maxbron PSU

AMD 8320 water cooled with Lepa Aquachanger 120. 
ASRock 970 Performance 
EVGA 960SC 
G-Skill Ripjaws 4X2GB 
Lepa 550W Maxbron PSU

My PC will NOT run stable on stock voltage. Not even at stock clock speeds.
Prime 95 crashes at least two and sometimes three or four cores in the first 30 seconds.

Every time this thing gets back to default settings,it's blue screen after blue screen.

It starts at 1.31v ....pretty sure. Maybe a tick lower.
If I bump it to 1.45v it runs great. Runs cool and will run Prime 95 for hours without issue. 62C after a couple hours at 100% with no indication of going any higher.
Funny thing is,if I bump the voltage to 1.45v I can take the clock speed from stock 3.5GHz to 4.7GHz and STILL run stable on Prime 95.

My games run fine on 3.5GHz so that's a non issue but WHY does it need a boost in voltage to run stock speeds? Just an AMD thing?
Is there anything wrong with running higher voltage? It is rated to 1.55v

What do you think? Just run the 1.45v and be content?
I plan on going to Intel when money is a little more steady so let's focus on my AMD chip for now ;)

try to make your text color run on auto. I imagine those not running the dark theme will have issues seeing white text.

have you overclocked (with overvolting) in the past or run at extreme high temperatures?

my assumption is that you have voltage degradation from running at too high of a voltage, which has decreased stability to the point where you have to increase voltage, which is a positive feedback loop that may result in a premature death.

my second guess is the same caused by heat, but that is less common

the third option is that I am wrong about the first two guesses, and it's something else entirely or a matter of rotten luck.

my recommendation is to reduce the clock speeds and see if it will remain stable at stock voltages with reduced clock speeds. this should prolong the life of your chip and hold you over until you can find some sort of replacement.

The chip is new and never been hot or seriously over clocked.

Voltage degradation...funny you mention that.

If I set my voltage to 1.475v in BIOS...F-Stream Tuning hardware monitor shows 1.45v

At stock voltage of 1.31v...F-Stream shows 1.1v

Sorry for the white text.

I think I fixed it.

Looks black to me.lol...

RMA the chip, if it wont run at stock at stock voltage then it is faulty and that is grounds for an RMA

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

RMA the chip, if it wont run at stock at stock voltage then it is faulty and that is grounds for an RMA

Can't. Newegg says no because I can't find the original box and postage label.

They seem to go the extra mile to avoid returns.

Do they mean the box thing was shipped in or the box that the cpu is in.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Do they mean the box thing was shipped in or the box that the cpu is in.

The item(s) must be returned in its entirety, including the retail packaging with the UPC code attached and any accessories that were included in the purchase.

The item(s) must be returned in its entirety, including the retail packaging with the UPC code attached and any accessories that were included in the purchase.

bitch about it to them on twitter, if you make enough noise im sure someone might do something about it

just run it at 1.45v that is perfect fine as long as it does go over 62c. stock voltage won't be 1.3v it will be 1.35-1.4v depending on the chips, but 4.7ghz at 1.45v is perfectly fine. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I think it has been the GPU this whole time.

Every blue screen said remove any new hardware and try again.

This morning my GTX 960 popped.

I have already put it in the mail to get a refund and ordered a new one.

The PC is running with an old 512MB GPU from 1999 right now and it's as stable as it could be.

The blue screens started the day I installed the 960 btw.

I thought maybe it drew too much power so I got a new PSU but it never did settle in.

I assumed it was the CPU....Maybe I was wrong.

the companies that sell parts usually want the original packaging to RETURN the product. if you want it replaced under warranty service, contact the manufacturer, that is to say contact AMD. if you can find your receipt (print off the invoice from your newegg account) then that should be all you need to have it replaced under warranty. sometimes the warranty is honored even without the receipt, but if you can produce the receipt, you should.

the companies that sell parts usually want the original packaging to RETURN the product. if you want it replaced under warranty service, contact the manufacturer, that is to say contact AMD. if you can find your receipt (print off the invoice from your newegg account) then that should be all you need to have it replaced under warranty. sometimes the warranty is honored even without the receipt, but if you can produce the receipt, you should.

Corsair just did that very thing for me.

I bought an SSD from Newegg but didn't sign in.

I used Paypal Express Checkout.

The transaction on Paypal doesn't itemize. Just $$$ amounts.

Newegg knew though!

I talked to them and they asked ME..."Is this the SSD you purchased on Feb 14?"

I said it was and asked for the invoice. 

Apparently,they won't do that.

So I talked to Corsair and they "sold" me a phantom SSD for $0 with a 30 day warranty and told me to go ahead and send it in...and provided an RMA number right then.

Told me not to make a habit of it and always sign in to Newegg when shopping :P

Awesome customer service indeed.

As for the CPU...I think it's OK.

Still running smoothly since removing the bad GPU.

Corsair just did that very thing for me.

I bought an SSD from Newegg but didn't sign in.

I used Paypal Express Checkout.

The transaction on Paypal doesn't itemize. Just $$$ amounts.

Newegg knew though!

I talked to them and they asked ME..."Is this the SSD you purchased on Feb 14?"

I said it was and asked for the invoice. 

Apparently,they won't do that.

So I talked to Corsair and they "sold" me a phantom SSD for $0 with a 30 day warranty and told me to go ahead and send it in...and provided an RMA number right then.

Told me not to make a habit of it and always sign in to Newegg when shopping :P

Awesome customer service indeed.

As for the CPU...I think it's OK.

Still running smoothly since removing the bad GPU.

oh. I didn't read about the bad GPU.

I had a samsung SSD that had the connector broken off. I called their support, got the warranty service request form sent to me, submitted the request form and they approved.

the SSD was one that somebody gave to me broken because they didn't think it could be saved, and they broke it while installing it. they weren't the type to deal with warranty services, but I am. got it replaced with physical damage and no receipt, so now I have a free 840 evo.

it works like that for RAM most of the time. usually the warranty on RAM is no questions asked lifetime warranty.