Windows 10 Clean Reinstall option?

Slater

So when the official Windows 10 release comes out i'm wondering if they'll provide an option to perform a clean reinstall. If so will my current product key from my Windows 8.1 install work with it?

I'm concerned about this because if you upgrade you'll keep your key but if you clean reinstall the Windows installer will most likely ask for a product key and i'm not sure if providing it with a product key originally intended for a different version of the OS will work or not. Any ideas what may happen or what i may need to do?

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

So when the official Windows 10 release comes out i'm wondering if they'll provide an option to perform a clean reinstall. If so will my current product key from my Windows 8.1 install work with it?

I'm concerned about this because if you upgrade you'll keep your key but if you clean reinstall the Windows installer will most likely ask for a product key and i'm not sure if providing it with a product key originally intended for a different version of the OS will work or not. Any ideas what may happen or what i may need to do?

I'm sure there will be a way to clean install, and when you do, you simply skip the step with the product key, since only a key for that version will typically work.  Then once you get into the desktop you can enter your 8.1 key and it should accept it.

Not sure how it will work but there will most likely be a clean install option somehow 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I'm wondering the same thing, but unfortunately I don't think anyone will be able to do more than speculate right now.

In my opinion, the most likely way for this it work is that opting in to Windows 10 will update your product key to a Windows 10 key. If that's the case, clean installing should work as expected.

If not, you should still be able to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and then immediately take the Windows 10 upgrade.

I'm wondering the same thing, but unfortunately I don't think anyone will be able to do more than speculate right now.

In my opinion, the most likely way for this it work is that opting in to Windows 10 will update your product key to a Windows 10 key. If that's the case, clean installing should work as expected.

If not, you should still be able to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and then immediately take the Windows 10 upgrade.

Yeah i doubt there would've been a definitive answer to this question but i was curious to see the ideas others had in mind. But if for whatever reason using my 8.1 key doesn't work i'll just clean reinstall windows 8.1 and do an upgrade from there.

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

I believe when you upgrade, Microsoft will send you a key for Windows 10.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz