New graphics card installation

Hello LTTF.

So I got my first GPU today as an upgrade to my A85500 APU's integrated graphics. The GPU is an EVGA 960 on DVID (SC, not SSC), I have w8.1 and an EVGA 500B 500w psu. The problem is that it doesn't work. I can't get it to display anything.

With the card: (PCIe 6 pin is connected) vga fan starts spinning, stops. Everything else seems to be fine. Monitor doesn't display anything.

Without: everything works fine on iGPU.

I have tried to remove the driver/desactive iGPU in device manager but it still doesn't work. I don't have another computer to test anything. Is the vga card just dead ? Also, it doesn't work if I install the card and try to run iGPU with a vga cable, I need to completely remove the card for that.

Thank you for your help :)

Is the system shorting itself? Like, you power it on, and it instantly shuts off?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello LTTF.

So I got my first GPU today as an upgrade to my A85500 APU's integrated graphics. The GPU is an EVGA 960 on DVID (SC, not SSC), I have w8.1 and an EVGA 500B 500w psu. The problem is that it doesn't work. I can't get it to display anything.

With the card: (PCIe 6 pin is connected) vga fan starts spinning, stops. Everything else seems to be fine. Monitor doesn't display anything.

Without: everything works fine on iGPU.

I have tried to remove the driver/desactive iGPU in device manager but it still doesn't work. I don't have another computer to test anything. Is the vga card just dead ? Also, it doesn't work if I install the card and try to run iGPU with a vga cable, I need to completely remove the card for that.

Thank you for your help :)

Are you using the onboard VGA? Because if so, you have to plug the cables into the GPU slots at the back. Onboard IO doesn't work with a GPU installed.

Hope this helps :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Is the system shorting itself? Like, you power it on, and it instantly shuts off?

Are you using the onboard VGA? Because if so, you have to plug the cables into the GPU slots at the back. Onboard IO doesn't work with a GPU installed.

Hope this helps :D

No the system doesn't shut down. :/

Also, yes, my DVI cable is plugged in the video card :)

(I am amazed by how quick those replies were btw)

Before plugging the video cable into your new GPU,... did you actually go into your bios and set the Primary Graphics to PCIE/Dedicated

Sometimes on certain boards you have to,.. it will not do it for you

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Make sure your monitor is inputted onto the correct input (ie DVI). Also, make sure you're booting from the DVI off the start instead of trying to switch.

I just need some info to get a better grasp of your situation :)

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

When plugging the video cable into your new GPU,... did you actually go into your bios and set the Primary Graphics to PCIE/Dedicated

Sometimes on certain boards you have to,.. it will not do it for you

@Fitz this too

Canada eh? 

I will try this.

You will have to set it in the bios, before you plug it into the new GPU.

Boot PC, go to bios, set Graphics as PCIE primary (may be called something different, refer to motherboard manual if you cannot find it)

Turn off PC

Use video cable on New GPU

Turn on PC.

Should be fine now.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I cant find that in the bios... My mb is from a gateway computer, could it be hidden somehow ? I have main, advanced, power, authentification, security, and boot. No mention of pcie in any of those...

I cant find that in the bios... My mb is from a gateway computer, could it be hidden somehow ? I have main, advanced, power, authentification, security, and boot. No mention of pcie in any of those...

You may have to search through the menu's further..

Probably under Advanced (is there a 'Video' category)

Motherboard make and model can help me find your manual online to check... if you know the specifics.

~snip~

What method are you using for connection the monitor? VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DP?

Igpu is with vga, card is with dvi. Should i try dvi to vga ?

Edit: i have power by pcie device enabled in my bios. Could it be that ?

Are you changing your monitor's input?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No need, you can switch the input on the monitor to DVI from VGA.

In advanced, i got miscellaneous, advanced chipset, integrated peripheral and pc health status.

In advanced chipset, go in there, what do you see, any video/graphics categories/options..?

I want you to GO THROUGH EVERY MENU/CATEGORY in your bios, go into every area... don't be scared. if you change nothing, you have nothing to worry about.

When you do so......What do you see, any video/graphics categories/options..?

It HAS to be there somewhere.

Only the videocard is plugged in. My monitor tells my its plugged in but just displays black or it says its not plugged in.

Ignore this for now..

In advanced chipset, go in there, what do you see, any video/graphics categories/options..?

No, just uma frame buffer size.

I have power on by pcie device enabled in power vut thats it.

No, just uma frame buffer size.

Without seeing your motherboard menu's I cannot say how to fix this..

Obviously you have now found the graphics options (UMAFrameBuffer)

Is that the ONLY thing on that page?

Only thing i can change...

I also have some amd thing (turbocore, cool n quiet) and current uma size but i cant go over them.

Only thing i can change...

I also have some amd thing (turbocore, cool n quiet) and current uma size but i cant go over them.

God I hate your Motherboard...

Im at a loss..

Most Dell/limited mobo's would automatically do the switch for you when you plug the Dedicated GPU in.

Or have a Video category, or Performance Category.

Tried it. Got a beep aaaaaaand thats it.

Tried it. Got a beep aaaaaaand thats it.

Like I said, Im now at a loss...

Like I said, Im now at a loss...

Im using a 6+2 pin btw, just plugging the 6 pins my card needs. Is this ok ?