Is my CPU ok?

Hello,

A friend recently bent a few pins on his miniITX motherboard and asked me to fix it because I've had more experience with building PCs. I bent the pins back into what seemed to be a good position and put an i7-4770k in the socket. I then plugged in motherboard and CPU power, but nothing else. Note at this point I forgot to install a cooler on the CPU because I was too excited to see if I fixed the motherboard. I bridged the power pins with a breadboard hookup wire, and the system posted. I messed around in the BIOS for about 45 seconds and saw that the CPU was running at 1600 MHz. I then thought: SH*T I FORGOT TO PUT A COOLER ON THE CPU. I hastily powered off the system and ran to my desktop PC to write this. Do you think the CPU is still fine? Was that 1600 MHz speed in the bios normal or is there something deeply wrong with the CPU? I thought maybe it had already thermal throttled but I'm not sure how hot the CPU would get with no cooler and 45 seconds (give or take a few) in the BIOS. 

Well at least the motherboard is fixed :P

Any help is much appreciated!

-Zach 

Your CPU thermal throttled. You should be fine, I don't even know why it let you into the bios, usually motherboards detect it and shut down.

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

First, you're sure it was the CPU running at 1600MHz and not the RAM? The CPU may be fine, but no one can really tell you definitively. You need to go back, put the cooler on, and attempt to boot the system.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

its fine, it will shut itself down before it dies.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Having it at ~100ºC for less than a minute is safe.

Problem is Going 30 -> 100 -> 30 -> 100 temps, specially in laptops because it damages tin solders so much

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

I think it should be fine. System would most likely disable it self after a while when it detected that there is huge temperature on your CPU from safety reasons.

Hello,

A friend recently bent a few pins on his miniITX motherboard and asked me to fix it because I've had more experience with building PCs. I bent the pins back into what seemed to be a good position and put an i7-4770k in the socket. I then plugged in motherboard and CPU power, but nothing else. Note at this point I forgot to install a cooler on the CPU because I was too excited to see if I fixed the motherboard. I bridged the power pins with a breadboard hookup wire, and the system posted. I messed around in the BIOS for about 45 seconds and saw that the CPU was running at 1600 MHz. I then thought: SH*T I FORGOT TO PUT A COOLER ON THE CPU. I hastily powered off the system and ran to my desktop PC to write this. Do you think the CPU is still fine? Was that 1600 MHz speed in the bios normal or is there something deeply wrong with the CPU? I thought maybe it had already thermal throttled but I'm not sure how hot the CPU would get with no cooler and 45 seconds (give or take a few) in the BIOS. 

Well at least the motherboard is fixed :P

Any help is much appreciated!

-Zach 

Put the CPU cooler on it and see if it POSTS. It should be fine!

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM