Longterm iOS user switches to HTC One, need some advice.

Demos

Hey LTT forum users!

I've just had to abandon my trusty iPhone 4S as it took a dip in the toilet. I went to the shop and notice the HTC One, and after hearing Linus praise it, I decided to spur of the moment buy it.

So far, I LOVE IT. It is amazing. It is really quick, very responsive and extremely easy to customise. The build quality is fantastic and it's very nice to use. I like almost everything about it.

So my question is this, What are some must have apps or things to have on the phone to make it even nicer?

Side note, the included headphones are fucking attrocious. They are the most uncomfortable things in the world. Silly Beats by Dre earphones.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Astro file manager. No doubt. From memory HTC phones don't have an inbuilt file manager/third party app installer so you should get astro

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Astro file manager. No doubt. From memory HTC phones don't have an inbuilt file manager/third party app installer so you should get astro

I prefer ES, but the are essentially the same thing.

I prefer ES, but the are essentially the same thing.

What are those? O.O

(I'm a recently recovered Apple Fanboy, though I still love Apple)

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

• Shazam - identifies songs
  • Skype - messaging on the go
  • Dropbox - you get bonus data
  • Power Toggles - really good customizable utilities for the notification menu
  • Auto Memory Manager - seems to be doing its job
  • PowerAmp - replacement audio player though personally I'm not 100% sold on it
  • Swiftkey - I'm at the moment using the stock HTC keyboard and finding the pros and cons of both after trying Swiftkey for a while
That's pretty much what I've got.

Also just to answer your question regarding what the memory managers do, the One doesn't have an inbuilt task management system like some Android devices and unlike Apple, there isn't an easy way to quit apps so it's good to have something installed that keeps memory usage, thus battery usage low.

I'm a long time apple hater... So yeah. You can use your phone like a usb device. Plug your phone into your computer and go to your hears content. But sometimes it's nice to be able to go and see all the files on your phone. Copy/paste files/music/vidoes/word documents... Whatever you download off the net. they also let you install apps that you didn't download from the play(app)store

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Oh yeah, get FROYO task killer. Something that windspeed mentioned. it will kill tasks keeping your battery usage low. Download the app then put the advanced task killer widget on your phone's home screen. then every time you touch the widget it will kill all useless background tasks. I don't know how to add widgets on the One I'm afraid as I have an s4

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Oh dear, that does look terribly complicated. I may leave that until I'm more familiar with... JellyBean iirc? What would be the usage scenario of that type of app?

Many thanks :)

• Swiftkey - I'm at the moment using the stock HTC keyboard and finding the pros and cons of both after trying Swiftkey for a while

Also just to answer your question regarding what the memory managers do, the One doesn't have an inbuilt task management system like some Android devices and unlike Apple, there isn't an easy way to quit apps so it's good to have something installed that keeps memory usage, thus battery usage low.

Got Shazam and Skype, always essential :)

I'm not a fan of Cloud storage, so I'll shy away from Dropbox for now.

I will totally look into Power Toggels and AutoMemory Manager. Also I use Spotify for music, so Poweramp isn't needed :)

Thanks Windspeed! I think if you double click the button to the right of the HTC Logo it opens a multi-tasking screen?

Thanks Windspeed! I think if you double click the button to the right of the HTC Logo it opens a multi-tasking screen?

Yes however sliding those up to close them doesn't always infact end the task. 

Yes however sliding those up to close them doesn't always infact end the task. 

Oh interesting! Will get the app to close those.

An AOSP ROM....

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

An AOSP ROM....

I have no clue what that is....

Task managers are detrimental to performance in Android 4+, memory management has been better than any task manager available for a good while now.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Android doesn't need an app for closing apps, it does it automatically when needed. When you have 2 GB RAM  you can run lots and lots of apps without any problems.