GTX 960 - Manufacturer Difference

Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

@OP

Go for Palit since it's cheaper, a friend of mine using 970 Jetstream and the cooler is pretty good.

From what I have heard the GTX 960 isn't really good for price to performance, either go AMD R9 270(x) or 280(x). Or go 970.

EDIT:

The 280 would be better than the 960, but the 270 will fall behind a little from what I found.

I would only go for the 280, though the 270 should be cheaper, by lots.

270/270x is much slower, 280/285 is slightly slower at stock clock. 280x is slightly faster.

Hello community!

I found local deals for a GTX 960 4GB card.

One is from PALIT

www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2464

And the other one is from MSI

www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-960-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview

The thing is they have a difference of around 30 US Dollars(when i convert from my currency), with PALIT being the cheaper one.

The question is, what do i get for the extra 30 bucks should i go for MSI? They both have the GPU and same amount of VRAM, both have non-reference cooling... The MSI looks arguably better with a backplate and an LED lighting thingy. But im gonna put it on a closed case with no window so looks are not that relevant to me.

Which would you choose?

And also i dont have experience with PALIT never heard of them until recently... anyone tried Palit already? Is it a good brand?

Palit is good enough, definitely go for that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

MSI charges more than palit because they're a more known brand. Each card has the same GPU inside it, the differences are all in the cooler.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

With everything you have said I would save the $30.  I also never buy MSI after they got ***** slapped by Nvidia for doing something they should not have done.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

With everything you have said I would save the $30.  I also never buy MSI after they got ***** slapped by Nvidia for doing something they should not have done.

What did they do?

From what I have heard the GTX 960 isn't really good for price to performance, either go AMD R9 270(x) or 280(x). Or go 970.

EDIT:

The 280 would be better than the 960, but the 270 will fall behind a little from what I found.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

@OP

Go for Palit since it's cheaper, a friend of mine using 970 Jetstream and the cooler is pretty good.

EDIT:

270/270x is much slower, 280/285 is slightly slower at stock clock. 280x is slightly faster.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Get a 280X

EDIT:

I would love to but sadly the 280 and 280x is still pretty expensive here with the local retailers, its still almost at the same price when it launched. Even if i get it from Amazon or newegg for example, still the international shipping would punch a hole in my pocket. Sucks to be at this side of the world.

Also i considered power consumption. I live in a place or country to be blunt, where electricity is relatively more expensive. I dont really have exact figures at hand though, you have to take my word for this.xD