Virus/malware attack

Fiddler

When I open Google Chrome I get a window open that tells me malicious software is instaled on my computer. There is a phone number to ring and it tells me to have my credit card ready. I am about to do a full reformat of my machine and a reinsall of Windows.

Is this the correct course of action? My virus scan (McAffee) tells me there are no threats.

When I open Google Chrome I get a window open that tells me malicious software is instaled on my computer. There is a phone number to ring and it tells me to have my credit card ready. I am about to do a full reformat of my machine and a reinsall of Windows.

Is this the correct course of action? My virus scan (McAffee) tells me there are no threats.

Yeah, that's a virus.

You can try running MalwareBytes and Hitman Pro, but a clean reinstall is of course your best bet.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

sounds like a browser hijacker, use a restore point from your PC dated before the incident and reinstall chrome

badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges

Please tell me you're trolling.

Download Malwarebytes and run a scan.

Why would they be trolling?

Its probably some bloatware or spam. Go into your system programs and remove anything that you don't know what it is. Make sure that you don't know the company either, don't want to uninstall some important driver from Intel. Be careful! I don't take any responsibility.

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

Thats because McAffee is horrible. Why do they still exist? Anyway I recommend AVG.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I consider anti virus software obsolete because most of the times the computer will get infected anyway and that's because new viruses are created everyday and companies can't keep up.Yes reformat it and careful where you step next time.

Try a more powerful antivirus

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Yeah, that's a virus.

You can try running MalwareBytes and Hitman Pro, but a clean reinstall is of course your best bet.

^^

If you do end up clean installing because no software is detecting it or removing it, rather than just reformatting and installing Windows, use dban and completely nuke that bitch before formatting and a clean install.  

Thank you for the speedy response!.. and no I am not trolling but I am panicing a bit.

They use McAfee.

Ahhhhhh, lol.