Price of RAM decreasing

Go to solution Solved by hiyayhi,

A few years ago, RAM prices were SUPER low to the point of the RAM producers selling it at a massive loss. Then there was a fire in one of the HYNIX factories in china and they went through the roof. This was actually an incredibly good thing for RAM manufacturers as they could now make some memory off their memory rather than just giving it away. Now after 2 years, the prices are returning to what is around normal, I doubt they will get back to what they were back then though.

To give you an idea of how silly the prices were back then, (bear in mind I live in AUS where the prices are inflated as shit to start with) I was able to buy 8 gigs of GSkill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz RAM whilst it was at its lowest pretty much, for $50. Now to buy exactly the same kit I would be looking at around $90 and at it's peak just after the fires, I would have paid around $120.

Hope that clears it up a little. Bit of a more detailed post. 

Just curious about why the price of DDR3 RAM has decreased in the pass year since me and my buds talk about how the price of DDR3 RAM is going down and we always wonder why. Anyone know anything? Or is it just DDR3 RAM being the most common thing around now and thus the price has to be more appealing?

The woes of not waiting to buy a GPU when new releases hit soon.

Just curious about why the price of DDR3 RAM has decreased in the pass year since me and my buds talk about how the price of DDR3 RAM is going down and we always wonder why. Anyone know anything? Or is it just DDR3 RAM being the most common thing around now and thus the price has to be more appealing?

Probably because there is now this thing called DDR4

RAM prices went through the roof a few years ago because of a fire in China. The price aren't dropping, they are returning to normal because they've made most of their money back that they lost during the fires and floods.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

It's technically just going back to what it used to be. There was a huge fire in one of the main factories a while ago, so the price shot up. Now it's starting to go back down as the supply/demand has settled down. 

And here they're higher than ever, thanks to the low price of the Euro.. Why is everything PC related made in US?

Well not made there, but sold from there.

I want to expand to 16GB, but I'll pay like 20 bucks more for it, than for my first kit -_-

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

And here they're higher than ever, thanks to the low price of the Euro.. Why is everything PC related made in US?

I want to expand to 16GB, but I'll pay like 20 bucks more for it, than for my first kit -_-

lol there are a few things made in the us and printed. If it was pc parts thats not made in US its called China

lol there are a few things made in the us and printed. If it was pc parts thats not made in US its called China

The second line sort of corrects my statement.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Hmm, that makes sense! Definately some good conversation starters knowing some new knowledge.

i ordered my RAM on May 3RD and it was £56.81 now it's £47.78 so it hasn't gone down by much but it has 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

It's technically just going back to what it used to be. There was a huge fire in one of the main factories a while ago, so the price shot up. Now it's starting to go back down as the supply/demand has settled down. 

The more you know.

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

A few years ago, RAM prices were SUPER low to the point of the RAM producers selling it at a massive loss. Then there was a fire in one of the HYNIX factories in china and they went through the roof. This was actually an incredibly good thing for RAM manufacturers as they could now make some memory off their memory rather than just giving it away. Now after 2 years, the prices are returning to what is around normal, I doubt they will get back to what they were back then though.

To give you an idea of how silly the prices were back then, (bear in mind I live in AUS where the prices are inflated as shit to start with) I was able to buy 8 gigs of GSkill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz RAM whilst it was at its lowest pretty much, for $50. Now to buy exactly the same kit I would be looking at around $90 and at it's peak just after the fires, I would have paid around $120.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

They also use to be cheaper because there was far more competition in the market (not suppliers, but them too a lesser extent). Many of these companies either went out of business, dropped ram a product line, or were acquired by other firms.

3-4 years ago, you could buy 8gb of ram for between $27-35 on a good sale, a 16gb kit for about $60. So when we get below $80 for 16gb, you'll have my interest about price drops. The 8gb 1600mhz I am running now was actually $35, back when companies were losing their shirts, and 1333mhz was the most common ram.

Prices were much higher before the compeition drove them down, that was quite a long time ago.

Well it definately is interesting. When I bought my Team Zeus Blue 8GB around summer of last year, so essentailly a year ago they were around 79 USD. Now it's 54 USD not even on sale, and I'm just here like, I could of done so much more with those 20$ more. ;-; At least now building some more rigs will not have to worry about RAM shortage.

Agreed... I ended up paying around $109 for an 8GB kit of that ripjaws ram.  Why we have to pay so much considering we live closer to the factories. I don't know.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

Well, about 10 years ago we misjudged the market. So instead of getting a 5 year supply of "Made in the USA" stickers that we use to cover the "Made in China" tags, we got a 50 year supply. So ever since then, we have pretty much been buying everything that China can produce so we can get rid of the damned stickers.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."