Does a GPU require any specific specs?

So I am kind of a a tech noob, and I am thinking of getting a GTX 970 (Buying online), but I am confused if my other specs need a certain level to handle the 970 GTX.
I am not sure what can drag it down: Bad CPU, Bad Ram? Old screens? 

So I need to know if it's safe to install it and run it without any explosions, fires and unicorns.
My specs are:
CPU/APU: AMD A-Series 6600K
RAM: 8GB
PSU: 500W
Motherboard: 
Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2
(If you need more info just say so)

And my screens (I have 2) are an old H
p L1925 and a SyncMaster 920n.. (Which to be honest aren't that great)

So is there anything i need to upgrade before getting a GTX 970 or am i good to go?

ALSO! I heard about some pins and all, to connect the gpu.. Is it something i have to worry about when buying my GPU? And how do i check for which ones fit and which ones don't? 

It would be a good idea to upgrade the CPU to

Your CPU could be a bottleneck...

What's your budget ? 

An A8-6600K is a bottleneck so try go with a FX processor if you can before you get a 970

The GPU itself merely requires a motherboard with the PCI slots and a PSU to provide enough power to support it. If you want to avoid gaming bottlenecks it gets more complicated. You'll need a good CPU in tandem with a good GPU, plus plenty of RAM, to have a smooth experience. Use PCPartPicker to add all of your parts to a build and it will give you a wattage estimate. Use that to get a rough idea of which PSU you should buy.

Git Gud.

Your CPU could be a bottleneck...

What's your budget ? 

Right, i absolutely despise the APU that i have right now, so i really want that upgraded, but i was thinking of upgrading the GPU first... 

My budget is currently VERY tight,  In fact it might take me a couple months to save up for the GPU itself.. I just recently got a job and i am not being payed that much.

So the CPU is a big problem for me... Is it a "MUST" upgrade? Or can i live without it for a little while, and possibly upgrade later? 

-snip-

Get a new cpu first.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

So I am kind of a a tech noob, and I am thinking of getting a GTX 970 (Buying online), but I am confused if my other specs need a certain level to handle the 970 GTX.

I am not sure what can drag it down: Bad CPU, Bad Ram? Old screens? 

So I need to know if it's safe to install it and run it without any explosions, fires and unicorns.

My specs are:

CPU/APU: AMD A-Series 6600K

RAM: 8GB

PSU: 500W

Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2(If you need more info just say so)

And my screens (I have 2) are an old Hp L1925 and a SyncMaster 920n.. (Which to be honest aren't that great)

So is there anything i need to upgrade before getting a GTX 970 or am i good to go?

ALSO! I heard about some pins and all, to connect the gpu.. Is it something i have to worry about when buying my GPU? And how do i check for which ones fit and which ones don't?

u should upgrade cpu to fx 6300 ot i3 ram isnt a bottleneck unless ddr2 monitor doesn't matter unless super high rez moitor like 5k one but for 970 it should be fine to run unless gaming but most modern cpu, s can run after 100$ mark

You can live with it but the 970 wont run at its maximum preformace

A 970, even with your processor, would be a massive increase in graphics performance; however a cpu upgrade would be nice. If you are on that tight a budget ( I know the pain ;-;), then I would get the 970, then save up next for a new cpu. You will need a different motherboard for any good cpu (fx or intel). If you are getting an fx (6350, or if you have the money 8350), then you will need a motherboard with the AM3+ socket, and if you are getting an intel (i3 or i5) you will need an LGA2011 V3 Socket.

Socket type can be found on the spec sheet for the motherboard.

your CPU will do OK but depend on the game you play if the game is use more CPU or GPU

Get a new cpu first.

Are you sure? I really want a better gpu, and with my tight budget buying a cpu first means i will be robbing myself from a good GPU for another 2 months AT LEAST! :L 

Also if i am getting a regular CPU means i won't have a gpu at all, since all i have it a APU... So i either upgrade the GPU first or CPU and GPU at the same time: which i don't have the money for...

I don't mind maximum performance, I just need anything better than my APU, which the 970 sure can do.

As long as it doesn't explode - overheat or anything similar i think i am alright...  

Are you sure? I really want a better gpu, and with my tight budget buying a cpu first means i will be robbing myself from a good GPU for another 2 months AT LEAST! :L 

Also if i am getting a regular CPU means i won't have a gpu at all, since all i have it a APU... So i either upgrade the GPU first or CPU and GPU at the same time: which i don't have the money for...

I don't mind maximum performance, I just need anything better than my APU, which the 970 sure can do.

As long as it doesn't explode - overheat or anything similar i think i am alright...

You'll be fine. Go with the GPU first, the APU has enough power and it'll do well enough until you can upgrade. The GPU is the more important component to upgrade right now.

If you don't mind the bottleneck then get the 970.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

A 970, even with your processor, would be a massive increase in graphics performance; however a cpu upgrade would be nice. If you are on that tight a budget ( I know the pain ;- ;), then I would get the 970, then save up next for a new cpu. You will need a different motherboard for any good cpu (fx or intel). If you are getting an fx (6350, or if you have the money 8350), then you will need a motherboard with the AM3+ socket, and if you are getting an intel (i3 or i5) you will need an LGA2011 V3 Socket.

Now i agree with the first couple lines.. but i got really surprised at the new motherboard part... I heard from multiple people that my motherboard is great and does not need any upgrading in the near future, but if i really have to upgrade it then it kind of screws me over, with a my tight budget i can't fit in a GPU CPU and Motherboard in there.. It'll take me too long... 

And at that point it's pretty much replacing the whole pc. :L 

Whatever you do, at last wait for the AMDs 300 line to hit the market and wait for some price drops on all the other GPUs.

Now i agree with the first couple lines.. but i got really surprised at the new motherboard part... I heard from multiple people that my motherboard is great and does not need any upgrading in the near future, but if i really have to upgrade it then it kind of screws me over, with a my tight budget i can't fit in a GPU CPU and Motherboard in there.. It'll take me too long... 

And at that point it's pretty much replacing the whole pc. :L

The motherboard is fine but it's just about CPU support. The motherboard is not designed with support for high-end CPUs. I don't think you really need to replace the motherboard though, your current one will support up to the Athlon X4 860K which is pretty decent. It might be the limiting factor in your performance when paired with the GTX 970, but it's not horrible by any means.

If you don't mind the bottleneck then get the 970.

You'll be fine. Go with the GPU first, the APU has enough power and it'll do well enough until you can upgrade. The GPU is the more important component to upgrade right now.

A 970, even with your processor, would be a massive increase in graphics performance; however a cpu upgrade would be nice. If you are on that tight a budget ( I know the pain ;- ;), then I would get the 970, then save up next for a new cpu. You will need a different motherboard for any good cpu (fx or intel). If you are getting an fx (6350, or if you have the money 8350), then you will need a motherboard with the AM3+ socket, and if you are getting an intel (i3 or i5) you will need an LGA2011 V3 Socket.

Alright, i guess the majority stands on getting a gpu first, which i fully agree upon! :D

But now it leaves my with an unanswered question of "Pins", to connect the gpu, i am not sure what I have... 

http://gyazo.com/72b405c471ee97072471a631a4c281d3

If this is what i am supposed to look at then what does it mean? 4 pin connectors? Am i supposed to look for a 4 pin GPU? O.o

Alright, i guess the majority stands on getting a gpu first, which i fully agree upon! :D

But now it leaves my with an unanswered question of "Pins", to connect the gpu, i am not sure what I have... 

http://gyazo.com/72b405c471ee97072471a631a4c281d3

If this is what i am supposed to look at then what does it mean? 4 pin connectors? Am i supposed to look for a 4 pin GPU? O.o

You'll need PCie power cables on your PSU. They look like this. 

pciex68adap.jpg

An A8-6600K is a bottleneck so try go with a FX processor if you can before you get a 970

An fx processor would still bottleneck and its on a different and dead end socket.

You'll need PCie power cables on your PSU. They look like this. 

pciex68adap.jpg

So i'll have to buy that as well? can find on per say amazon? And is it only the cables, nothing more? 

So i'll have to buy that as well? can find on per say amazon? And is it only the cables, nothing more? 

In a word, yes. But odds are, if your PSU doesn't have these cables, it likely doesn't have the juice to support a 970. 

Do you know what kind of PSU you have? If not, can you post a pic of it's UL label. 

In a word, yes. But odds are, if your PSU doesn't have these cables, it likely doesn't have the juice to support a 970. 

Do you know what kind of PSU you have? If not, can you post a pic of it's UL label. 

Eeeh... AC 230V.. Is that a thing? If so: then it is it. 

Eeeh... AC 230V.. Is that a thing? If so: then it is it. 

That's just what it accepts from the wall. All PSU's in your region will have that rating. There should be a sticker of some kind on the side of the PSU stating max wattage, continuous wattage, amps per rail, etc. It will look something like this....

17-182-032-15.jpg

That's just what it accepts from the wall. All PSU's in your region will have that rating. There should be a sticker of some kind on the side of the PSU stating max wattage, continuous wattage, amps per rail, etc. It will look something like this....

17-182-032-15.jpg

Sorry it took so long, but I cannot access that sign.. the psu is in a very awkward spot and is near to impossible to remove... I would have remove the motherboard hardisc and some other stuff...:L